Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2018, 07:45 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
She held her position before gay marriage was improperly decreed the same thing as marriage.
That's the problem everyone wants "equality" for their identity or cause even if they're not equal. Gays and straights and asexuals or whatever abnormals always had equality in that any of them could marry someone of the opposite sex.
But gays and straights and asexuals or whatever abnormals didn't have equality in that not all of them could marry the person they loved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2018, 07:49 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
So what is a girly man?

What is a traditional man?

37 pages in and still no answer.
No idea.
Every day I interact with men of all ages who are strong and smart. And I have respect for them. And they manage to be masculine without having to put down women.

Weird. It's like certain groups of people live in weird parallel universes.

Old 03-09-2018, 07:51 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,945,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
He lost me when he tried to say it wasn't true that men make more than women.
Men don't.

it has been debunked a billion times. Look into it. Stop believing the lies.

When time off, years worked, direct experience and college education comes into play, women are paid the same as men for the same jobs.

The pay gap myth is when you avg CEOs and then library assts and compare those salaries. DUH CEOs make more than library assts, which is what the pay gap myth study did. But male and female library assts get paid the same.

Again, look into it. Educate yourself on facts.

Old 03-09-2018, 08:33 AM

37,203 posts, read 19,210,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
There are few people so tiresome as an internet atheist who thinks he understands a religion better than its followers. Quoting scripture is not understanding, by the way, and your rejection of a religion doesn't give you authority to dictate how others follow or interpret it.
No, but a long experience with religion is great for gaining extensive insight as to why it should be rejected. I am intimately acquainted with the Methodists, Catholics, and Southern Baptists, and was for 55 years before I rejected all the dogma and became a devout agnostic.

If you don't want your faith questioned, don't lead with it in a post. In this case, it is an athiest responding to a professed "nominal Christian", which has no meaning whatsoever. The athiest can defend what he believes, the other has no hard belief to defend.

Old 03-09-2018, 08:36 AM

25,848 posts, read 16,532,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorman View Post
I think that is part of what Tucker and the OP are saying is wrong. Back in the day it was fine for men to act like sexist jerks and leer at women in the workplace, tell racist jokes and basically act like manchild dbags their entire lives. Like when some posters say that schools don't let boys act like boys anymore, what they really mean is that boys are not allowed to run amok hitting other kids, pulling girls hair, refusing to be quiet, etc.

People like the OP can't deal with the fact that society now expects men of all ages to act like civilized human beings and treat other people with respect.
Funny, I never saw my Dad behave that way. And he would have never allowed any of his boys to behave that way. We didn't need any damn laws to teach us how to behave.

But my Dad was a strong CHRISTIAN MALE who took responsibility for his own actions and the actions of his children.

Now liberals want society to call all the shots.

Old 03-09-2018, 08:39 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post

Very well-said.

I would take it a step further. For reasonable people, there really isn't even a conflict between "women's rights" and "men's rights." The point is for all to be treated fairly, and the men and women on the fringes who are fueled by hatred are only damaging their own interests.
Yes, exactly.

I believe there are issues that affect women more than men and issues that affect men more than women. As humans, we should listen to each other and try to see things from other perspectives.

For example, and I've said this before, as a woman, it would be VERY easy for me to accuse my husband of abuse and have him barred from seeing our children. That is a huge issue which needs to be addressed.

Similarly, women historically get lower prison sentences for the same crimes men commit. Men get longer sentences. Again, grossly unfair. I believe this goes back to the old trope that women are incapable of responsibility for themselves, when women were made into second class citizens to be protected, lead, etc. If a society believes a woman can't make her own decisions, wouldn't it follow that any crime she commits is somehow lesser because, on some level, she can't be responsible?

This is why women's equality is important for men too.

Old 03-09-2018, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
No idea.
Every day I interact with men of all ages who are strong and smart. And I have respect for them. And they manage to be masculine without having to put down women.

Weird. It's like certain groups of people live in weird parallel universes.
Right. My husband is masculine but he doesn't put down women. He's strong, smart, sexy (I think so) but I wonder what some of these other men would think of my husband because he, at times, stayed home with our kids while I worked, makes dinner more than I do, etc.

Old 03-09-2018, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Men don't.

it has been debunked a billion times. Look into it. Stop believing the lies.

When time off, years worked, direct experience and college education comes into play, women are paid the same as men for the same jobs.

The pay gap myth is when you avg CEOs and then library assts and compare those salaries. DUH CEOs make more than library assts, which is what the pay gap myth study did. But male and female library assts get paid the same.

Again, look into it. Educate yourself on facts.
I always assumed the pay gap thing was more about how women miss out on opportunities due to child rearing rather than the actual amount of money paid to working women.

Old 03-09-2018, 09:12 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
But the reason for #2 is partly due to gender roles forced on men by necessity.

Come back to this topic when you can explain why women tend to avoid the ten most dangerous occupations like the plague. I can tell you the last time I saw a woman up on a six story scaffold - oh yah, that's right...it was the 12'th of NEVER.

The same reason most men do.

Quote:

Girls are less interested in sports...or have you not noticed that divide between the sexes?

I call BS on that. Today there are just as many girls participating in sports at elementary, HS, and college levels.

Quote:

So its devolution. When the species doesn't need to be able to ensure its survival, then it eventually won't be able to...and then....boom...extinct.

If you really think the world has changed to the point that none of the threats you list exist, then why don't you live outdoors with the bugs and the animals where anyone who wants to could walk right up to you while you sleep? Hmm? Do you think you can defend yourself and your family against other humans or other predators? Bet you'd prefer a full grown strong man around if you were being attacked, instead of a bunch of girl scouts.

No its evolution.
We don't ensure our survival the way we have in the past and no we aren't in any danger of becoming extinct unless there is a catastrophic global natural disaster or zombie apocalypse.

Threats exist and again are dealt with differently. The firearm is the great equalizer. We also have cell phones, security systems and police officers. But I do live in the woods with bugs and snakes, coyotes an occasional bear and I don't lock my doors, don't even have a key. Yes, I can defend myself and family and my livestock. But I don't have to worry about bands of aggressive native Americans or Vikings raiding my home at night or invaders dragging me off by my hair to be sold into slavery.
BTW some of the girl scouts I know are pretty good with a firearm and a bow. They don't just sell cookies.
And men no longer go out the door to kill the wooly mammoth, buffalo or even deer to feed their families, they don't have to cut trees and split wood, wrestle bears, dig wells, plow the earth or fight off invaders. They get in their car or take public transit to a job in an environmentally controlled environment behind a desk usually, or a factory or even an outside physical job with safety equipment and OSHA standards and an HR department, medical insurance and 401K, then bring home a pay check (just like women).

Old 03-09-2018, 09:16 AM

17,428 posts, read 14,650,567 times
Declining testosterone is directly related to the increased consumption of sugar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies