Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2018, 03:38 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,871,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
So WHY ON EARTH are public schools LETTING THOSE STUDENTS DRAG EVERYONE ELSE DOWN?

Serious question. Separate the wheat from the chaff. Group students by achievement/ability/skill level. We already know that yields the best educational results for EVERY level that way. Why? Because instruction can be much more narrowly targeted to meet students' educational needs instead of teachers having to be a jack of all trades, master of none.

This problem has already been identified, but has never been resolved...

The dumbing-down began 50+ years ago as intentional 'social engineering' with the goal of creating more equal educational outcomes (and therefore more equal socioeconomic outcomes) and greater social cohesion. Naturally, none of the desired goals were achieved, and now we just have a colossal societal disaster of epic proportions.

A college professor has done the research, and tells us what has happened and why...
The Other Crisis in American Education - The Atlantic

Much more at the link.

This is the quintessential, most epic failure of the SJW mentality, and it has done irreparable harm to our country.

Have your kids in public school? You better supplement. A LOT!
Do you copy and paste from your own posts? You said almost exactly the same thing, verbatim in parts, pages and pages ago, multiple times in this thread...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2018, 03:46 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,394,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post
Do you copy and paste from your own posts? You said almost exactly the same thing, verbatim in parts, pages and pages ago, multiple times in this thread...

I see this often here. A failed statement thats copied and pasted. People even tear them to little pieces....and it doesn't matter because the same poster will simply repeat the same nonsense later.

Old 05-29-2018, 04:18 PM

59,185 posts, read 27,388,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post

"What a bozo"

Yep, I have thought the same thing about 60 minutes for YEARS!

Old 05-30-2018, 04:43 AM

89,067 posts, read 44,906,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post
The factual info is exactly the same, so what else am I supposed to say? Would it be better to let people remain ignorant and dumbed down about what's going on in K-12 public education? I say most definitely not. We have to identify the problem before anyone can realize it needs to be addressed.

Old 05-30-2018, 04:56 AM

51,655 posts, read 25,862,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
I see this often here. A failed statement thats copied and pasted. People even tear them to little pieces....and it doesn't matter because the same poster will simply repeat the same nonsense later.
I've wondered about that.

It's as if they don't read the responses. Almost like their job is to post certain blocks of material as many times as possible.

I will occasionally post the same information on two threads when it applies to both discussions. For example, Daniel Dale of the Toronto Star live tweeted Trump's Nashville rally speech last night. He identified more than a dozen lies and posted accurate information as he tweeted. I posted this information on both the Nashville Rally thread as well as the POTUS' Lies thread.

But when someone copies and pastes the exact same blocks of material numerous times on the same thread, can't help but wonder what's going on.

Old 05-30-2018, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
I see this often here. A failed statement thats copied and pasted.
Failed statement? I posted factual info. Refute any of it if you can.

2/3 of US 12th graders are below proficient in grade-level skills. That's a fact. NAEP. Longitudinal study.

Here's more factual info...
Quote:
"This exam [OECD's PIAAC], given in 23 countries, assessed the thinking abilities and workplace skills of adults. It focused on literacy, math and technological problem-solving. The goal was to figure out how prepared people are to work in a complex, modern society. And U.S. millennials performed horribly...

But surely America’s brightest were on top?

Nope.

U.S. millennials with master’s degrees and doctorates did better than their peers in only three countries, Ireland, Poland and Spain...The ETS study noted that a decade ago the skill level of American adults was judged mediocre. “Now it is below even that.†So Millennials are falling even further behind.

Top-scoring US millennials – the 90th percentile on the PIAAC test – were at the bottom internationally, ranking higher only than their peers in Spain. The bottom scorers (10th percentile) also lagged behind their peers."
"U.S. millennials post 'abysmal' scores in tech, math, thinking ability, and workplace skills test, lag behind foreign peers":
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...foreign-peers/

Old 05-30-2018, 05:25 AM

51,655 posts, read 25,862,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
The factual info is exactly the same, so what else am I supposed to say? Would it be better to let people remain ignorant and dumbed down about what's going on in K-12 public education? I say most definitely not. We have to identify the problem before anyone can realize it needs to be addressed.
If you have nothing more to say, then that's that. If the conversation rolls around to this topic again, summarize the information.

If you just copy and post the same information over and over, it's like someone dropping into the thread every other page to post "DeVoss is dumb as a stump."

Better to vary your posts. Find new information. Express it a different way. Throw in a link.

DeVoss shills for for-profit education. No need for a link here, it's her gig. We all know that.

DeVoss has been "behind the spread of charter schools in Michigan, most of which have recorded student test scores in reading and math below the state average."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.a162c64da8ba

Check out DeVoss' ridiculous answer when asked why Michigan schools are now performing worse than they were before her push to privatize them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKPIae1_LYw

DeVoss "revealed an ignorance of the Plyler v. Doe Supreme Court decision that says any child in the country can go to school."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opini...newstopstories

DeVoss stumbled and fumbled in her 60 Minute interview, would repeat default talking points then "unwittingly debunk them, saying she didn’t know enough about a given issue or providing a response that conflicted with a previous statement."

https://www.theatlantic.com/educatio...inutes/555566/

DeVos' "disastrous 60 Minutes interview .... revealed how little she knows about education."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cQ4B71dmLo

Constantly reposting the same information on school performance is nonsense on this thread. DeVoss isn't doing anything to change it anyway.

Old 05-30-2018, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
If you have nothing more to say, then that's that.
Clearly, not. Just look at the responses to the factual info I've posted. Some are saying they're "failed" posts. They deny the actual facts. Why not repeat factual info as frequently as necessary when the topic is yet again being discussed, until people actually recognize the truth?

If you don't want people to respond with the actual facts, don't try to make ridiculously false assertions. Simple as that.

Betsy DeVos is correctly asserting that our country's public education system is, to paraphrase... a sick wastefully over-expensive joke. The factual data supports that assertion.

Old 05-30-2018, 05:57 AM

13,240 posts, read 4,933,800 times
G'morning GotHereQuickAsICould, it's likely apes, monkeys, chimpanzees or even my personal favorites, bonobos, could be trained to mindlessly copy & paste gibberish into these threads.

Am I offending the bonobos et al here?

Old 05-30-2018, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
G'morning GotHereQuickAsICould, it's likely apes, monkeys, chimpanzees or even my personal favorites, bonobos, could be trained to mindlessly copy & paste gibberish into these threads.

Am I offending the bonobos et al here?
Don't know. Did you check your reaction in a mirror?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies