Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2018, 12:46 PM

89,067 posts, read 44,906,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metsfan53 View Post
and please explain how offering them a substandard education by design will help a large portion of our nation compete for jobs?
What makes you think they're even competitive for those jobs in the first place? Have you SEEN the NAEP data I posted?

Percent of 12th grade students of each race/ethnicity who are proficient or above, by race/ethnicity group:

Mathematics:

Overall: 26%

Asian/Pacific Islander: 47%
White: 33%
American Indian/Alaska Native: 12%
Hispanic: 12%
Black: 7%

Reading:

Overall: 38%

White: 47%
American Indian/Alaska Native: 26%
Hispanic: 23%
Black: 16%

National Assessment of Educational Progress - NAEP - 12th Grade Mathematics and Reading
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2018, 01:01 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,039,272 times
Quote:
I have not — I have not — I have not intentionally visited schools that are underperforming...
What does she even mean by this? Did she unintentionally visit an underperforming school, like "oops, I wrote down the wrong address, this isn't the school I'm supposed to visit today."

Or did she mean that she has intentionally not visited underperforming schools?

Old 03-13-2018, 01:13 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,405,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
She can barely speak in an educated manner.
Many politicians and elected officials act like this at times. It might be funnier when caught on camera.

Old 03-13-2018, 01:17 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,558,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
What does she even mean by this? Did she unintentionally visit an underperforming school, like "oops, I wrote down the wrong address, this isn't the school I'm supposed to visit today."

Who knows? It was one of the dumbest sentences every uttered. Right up there with her 'grizzlies' comment.

I cannot believe this paragon of ignorance is the Education Secretary. She got her job because she is wealthy - period.

Old 03-13-2018, 01:20 PM

3,992 posts, read 2,462,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
That federal "extra money" amounted to $1743 per disabled student per year in 2014 which in California amounted to 9% of the cost of a special ed student where it was calculated that special ed kids cost twice as much as other children.

http://www.ppic.org/content/pubs/report/R_1116LHR.pdf
it's facts like these you'll never get a response to.

Old 03-13-2018, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
What makes you think they're even competitive for those jobs in the first place? Have you SEEN the NAEP data I posted?

Percent of 12th grade students of each race/ethnicity who are proficient or above, by race/ethnicity group:

Mathematics:

Overall: 26%

White: 33%
American Indian/Alaska Native: 12%
Hispanic: 12%
Black: 7%

Reading:

Overall: 38%

White: 47%
American Indian/Alaska Native: 26%
Hispanic: 23%
Black: 16%

National Assessment of Educational Progress - NAEP - 12th Grade Mathematics and Reading
so the answer is to give them even less? So again how do you deal with these people down the road? You still don't answer, you just repost the above stats like you've revealed some great and significant truth.

Old 03-13-2018, 01:33 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,279,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post

Lol, but I think what she meant was she did not visit underperforming schools for any specific reason other than she happened to be there.

So that is almost worse, as she was either totally uninterested in visiting a school she knew was under-performing because she didn't care, or she likes to remain in a state of denial and ignore policies when they do not work or it does not fit with her agenda. The Trumpian way.

I think the fact that she visited Parkland and did not even speak to a kid says it all or she is simply a thoughtless snob. She's out of her element, and is not really interested in knowing about any real problems.

Now Trump has put her, laughably, in charge of school safety. Let us not forget that this is the woman who stated at a Congressional hearing that guns belong in schools in case a grizzly bear goes wild. Huge problem in suburbia.

Old 03-13-2018, 01:39 PM

89,067 posts, read 44,906,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metsfan53 View Post
so the answer is to give them even less?
No, it's to give the more able MORE.
Quote:
So again how do you deal with these people down the road? You still don't answer, you just repost the above stats like you've revealed some great and significant truth.
How does Europe "deal with them?" They stream them into vocational schools.

Old 03-13-2018, 01:46 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,910,690 times
Quote:
I am appalled. Your argument seems to be that certain races cannot master mathematics or other skills, so don't waste the money trying to teach them these things.

Old 03-13-2018, 01:47 PM

Quote:
so how would you deal with them? WE can't take a huge portion of our nation and make them all plumbers or electricians. so what is your solution for preparing a plurality of people to compete for jobs in the 21st century other than offering them a substandard education by design? How do you deal with the massive inequality
and lack of opportunity this will generate? Are you for massively expanding the welfare state, you know "how Europe deals with them"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies