Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2018, 01:00 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,763,561 times

Advertisements

Looks like we've found the target audience for National Geographic's new editor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
I once spent a couple of days perusing through the early years of the National Geographic.

For sure, there was a lot of stuff about noble white men saving the savages from themselves in them. White superiority went hand in hand with their exploration for a very long time. Most explorers were racists, at least in their regards to what comprised their notions of a civilized society when encountering one that was strange to them.
Did Marco Polo consider China savage and uncivilized when he first encountered it? No, he did not.
Quote:
But I think that most of it was simply the times; racist attitudes were very common throughout the 'civilized world' then, and those attitudes still exist today.
... "civilized world" in quotes as if you don't believe there even is such a thing as civilization that differs from the absence of it.
Quote:
At least the Geographic recognizes its problem and is doing something constructive about it. I think its healthy for the organization
Post modernism is constructive in the sense that termites are constructive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2018, 01:50 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,373,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopelesscause View Post
Have you ever seen an old Natl Geographic magazine?!! As a teenager in the 1970s, I “read” some older Natl Geographics from the 1950s- 1960s at my Jr High library. It’s not ONLY that they depicted naked Bush people as primitive. I remember one where there was a lustful-looking white safari guy with bare-breasted black women dancing around him. It was funny to me at the time, but sickening to me now.
I would like to see the so-called racist pics. I simply can't recall any. Never read it all that much though.

Old 03-16-2018, 06:56 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,796,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
For many decades National Geographic, with its first rate photographers and journalists, educated Americans, and awed them, revealing just how big was the world and how diverse the humanity it contained. Now its new editor wants to apologize for that:

The whole current issue is devoted to various race related PC-isms and grievances, including this feature which claims "There's no scientific basis for race - it's a made up label" and then, amusingly, goes on to provide a scientific explanation of how the current races developed through geographic isolation, substituting the word "populations" for "races".
It was in NG that I first saw naked women. They were Africans. The boys in the neighborhood used to look at them. NG used to do stories about people in Africa. I don't remember if I could read yet, but I remember the pictures! This was in the 1950's. Many of the women had what looked liked dinner plates sewn into their lips or bowing balls into their ear lobes. But what got my attention was a little bit lower.

Old 03-16-2018, 07:03 AM

34,232 posts, read 18,590,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Looks like we've found the target audience for National Geographic's new editor.

Did Marco Polo consider China savage and uncivilized when he first encountered it? No, he did not.

... "civilized world" in quotes as if you don't believe there even is such a thing as civilization that differs from the absence of it.
Post modernism is constructive in the sense that termites are constructive.
There is a large element of our society that want to fall all over themselves talking about how bad white men were in the past, and still are! It is total white guilt, virtue signaling, and it is MISGUIDED, and destructive. White men advanced civilization, and culture for centuries, now, all of a sudden they were all racists, and a pariah. What drivel.

Old 03-16-2018, 07:07 AM

20,873 posts, read 9,541,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
If they want to apologize for how they portrayed black Americans that's one thing, but bush people are bush people. Of course you portray them as being primitive, because that what they are. I would expect that if they did a story about bush people today they would also portray them as being primitive, and if they didn't, they wouldn't be doing their jobs.
If you feel that way, then ...

Quote:
If they want to apologize for how they portrayed black Americans that's one thing, but redneck people are redneck people. Of course you portray them as being primitive, because that what they are. I would expect that if they did a story about redneck people today they would also portray them as being primitive, and if they didn't, they wouldn't be doing their jobs.
Fixed it for you.

Old 03-16-2018, 07:30 AM

13,651 posts, read 20,783,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
It was in NG that I first saw naked women. They were Africans. The boys in the neighborhood used to look at them. NG used to do stories about people in Africa. I don't remember if I could read yet, but I remember the pictures! This was in the 1950's. Many of the women had what looked liked dinner plates sewn into their lips or bowing balls into their ear lobes. But what got my attention was a little bit lower.

Where is Ralph Malph when you need him?

Old 03-16-2018, 07:50 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,763,561 times
Quote:
Have you ever seen an old Natl Geographic magazine?!! As a teenager in the 1970s, I “read” some older Natl Geographics from the 1950s- 1960s at my Jr High library. It’s not ONLY that they depicted naked Bush people as primitive. I remember one where there was a lustful-looking white safari guy with bare-breasted black women dancing around him. It was funny to me at the time, but sickening to me now.
There were people back in the '70s who were scandalized by old pictures in National Geographic of topless native women encountered by white men in far away countries. Then, such people were considered uptight, prude, and possibly racist - "church lady" types. Now, they're considered progressive!

Old 03-16-2018, 04:58 PM

5,277 posts, read 2,801,922 times
I read the full article.

" Let’s confront today’s shameful use of racism as a political strategy and prove we are better than this."

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/m...acism-history/

I think many posting here are outraged at the thought that people with non-white skin are just as, or more, peace loving, and intelligent as they claim that they are.

Old 03-16-2018, 05:41 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,537,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
NG is owned by Rupert Murdoch. If he's PC I'm Mother Goose.
That's what I was thinking. What up Rupert???

Old 03-16-2018, 06:21 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,879,277 times
Quote:
The San people are/were primitive hunter-gathers. So being presented facts is sickening to you now? Do you think the photo was completely staged for some nefarious purposes? The safari team told the native women to take their tops of and dance? Not likely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies