Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2018, 11:50 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,916,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
Big Pharma spends more on advertising than they do on research! Ask your doctor if another Big Pharma commercial is right for you!
My wife is now taking a drug we saw advertised on tv and asked her doctor about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2018, 11:50 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,400,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
Big Pharma spends more on advertising than they do on research! Ask your doctor if another Big Pharma commercial is right for you!
LOL

I saw a YouTube video the other day of a guy mocking all the drug commercials. It was hysterical. Take X for your condition. Side effects may include A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I, J, K, L and M.

The drug will make you sicker than your original ailment!

Old 03-16-2018, 11:52 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,400,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
My wife is now taking a drug we saw advertised on tv and asked her doctor about.
Wow.

Search engines are still around, ya know? Heavily research your health before turning to advice from a medium trying to sell you used cars and greasy death burgers from McDonalds right after the drug commercial.

Old 03-16-2018, 11:54 AM

4,067 posts, read 2,277,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelia Shay View Post
We have great treatments, medicines, etc. but a good portion of the population can't afford to access care. Even with insurance, a heath crisis can bankrupt a family. Our medicine is good, but our system deserves to be ranked as the worst in the developed world.
Agree with you on that!

Old 03-16-2018, 11:55 AM

5,129 posts, read 2,602,847 times
rankings and polls?

Old 03-16-2018, 11:55 AM

27,246 posts, read 13,534,754 times
The US has good quality of health care, what holds it back in relation to studies such as this is cost and access.

Universal system are always going to tank more highly in relation to access for everyone, and if that is a major criteria of this study which I suspect it is then the US is going to do as well.

Old 03-16-2018, 11:56 AM

4,540 posts, read 2,793,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Good point!

Let's get the government more involved that it already is.

What could possibly go wrong?
So you want to pay more instead of less? The system we have now doesn't work.

What's the biggest cost for small businesses in America? Healthcare.

The perpetual conservative fantasy of a market based healthcare system actually hurts the small business they claim to care about.

Old 03-16-2018, 11:56 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,433,940 times
Our healthcare is actually great.

It's the ACCESS to the healthcare that is the problem.

Eventually we will have some type of expanded Medicare-for-all program in the US. Don't know when, but it's an inevitability. There just isn't much value-added for private health insurance. If there's profit being made by the health insurance companies, then either the doctors are getting paid too little or the patients/premium payers are being charged too much.

Old 03-16-2018, 11:57 AM

6,957 posts, read 8,501,808 times
Yeah, I think the arthritis drug Phil Mickleson, the golfer takes, can produce irritable bowel syndrome (IBS). I guess the next commercial will have him running around looking for toilet paper sold by bears to escape the girl in the tight-fitting pink outfit, who portrays the large intestine, so he can avoid the "pained look" of not finding a toilet in time!

Old 03-16-2018, 11:58 AM

18,853 posts, read 8,506,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelia Shay View Post
We have great treatments, medicines, etc. but a good portion of the population can't afford to access care. Even with insurance, a heath crisis can bankrupt a family. Our medicine is good, but our system deserves to be ranked as the worst in the developed world.
If you have Medicaid, Medicare or Obamacare you will not go under due to massive medical bills from a health crisis.

With Obamacare you might have to pay a high deductible at some point, but that can be negotiated or paid off over time. And then again, some or all might be waived.

From our two experiences the past 15 mo. With my wife's massive trauma bills in 2017, we actually received more payments FROM BCBS and the providers than we paid out in deductibles. Too complicated to figure out why. But I rarely argue when payment is in our favor. Bills were over $1.3M. Obamacare paid the hospital only $200K and change.

In 2018 we have paid in a few thousand for her extremely complicated and expensive lymphoma treatments. In the millions, and still going.

I would wonder if her life would have been saved from the accident in some other country with 'better' HC, under similar traumatic circumstances. And how her lymphoma treatment would have gone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies