Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2018, 12:03 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,275,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Then you know that the NRA has some of the best gun safety programs, and courses in the country. For kids, they have the Eddie the Eagle program, and will got to schools, an other organizations to teach the dangers of using guns irresponsibly, and teach gun safety. Most schools REFUSE THEM.

https://eddieeagle.nra.org/
Yes. I do know that. And the NRA of my childhood was an organization I may have been inclined to join.

But, the NRA is mostly a lobbyist organization now, with all these nice programs as secondary.

I have family who are still members, and I do not think it's wrong that they are.

I would, frankly, be thrilled if ALL the lobbyists were removed from Capitol Hill. Every last one of them.

I would like Congress to start serving the people and not special interests with deep pockets.

Old 03-26-2018, 12:05 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,275,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Name one NRA member who targeted "high schoolers".

the government and public officials failed to do their jobs.
I do not know these people personally, but it's not hard to find dozens of them on the internet and the things they say make me wonder how in the world they could ever be "law abiding" anything, must less law-abiding gun owners.

They sound like crazy people.

Old 03-26-2018, 12:07 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,685,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Then you know that the NRA has some of the best gun safety programs, and courses in the country. For kids, they have the Eddie the Eagle program, and will got to schools, an other organizations to teach the dangers of using guns irresponsibly, and teach gun safety. Most schools REFUSE THEM.

https://eddieeagle.nra.org/
Maybe we should also have "safe opiate use" education, as well as "safe ana-l sex" high school classes, eh?

How about proper use of a sword or knife...you know, the way to disable people with it? Or - even proper use of Mace and baseball bats for fending off attackers.

Parents who want to militarize their little ones have plenty of options. I shot at camp at 7 years old - which I think is plenty young to instill the basics of safety. I also attended military school - a choice made by my parents (and I was given some say).

But public schools? Nope. Plenty of other options available...

Old 03-26-2018, 12:25 PM

39,231 posts, read 27,623,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Maybe we should also have "safe opiate use" education, as well as "safe ana-l sex" high school classes, eh?

How about proper use of a sword or knife...you know, the way to disable people with it? Or - even proper use of Mace and baseball bats for fending off attackers.

Parents who want to militarize their little ones have plenty of options. I shot at camp at 7 years old - which I think is plenty young to instill the basics of safety. I also attended military school - a choice made by my parents (and I was given some say).

But public schools? Nope. Plenty of other options available...
It looks like you have some issues with your parents. Many people (like myself) who grew up around guns don't share the exact same opinions/experiences. We don't give guns too much thoughts actually. Meaning, there is no unhealthy obsession, nor is there irrational fear.

I simply cannot understand why people want to shift the responsibility from people to a silly gun which is nothing but a tool.

Old 03-26-2018, 12:26 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,912,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
One thing I picked up on. I listened to the little brown shirt Hogg's speech. He said that the people in power are trembling from these marches, to paraphrase. No, not quite. But they have been trembling for years from citizens owning guns. And these trembling politicians are the ones parading Hogg and countless other well meaning but easily manipulated children for the cameras duping them into thinking their opinions matter and their voices will be heard.
These kids are in for a shock when in a few years they get pushed aside and get told to shut up by the very people now telling them to speak out.
And they are being told to shut up by the otherside too. You think Rubio likes that he was called out as an NRA meat puppet? You think he is the only politician shaking? Then you have shills like that Dana witch who attack everyone and not accept the generally accepted shift that has been the case since Sandy Hook five and quarter years ago.

Old 03-26-2018, 12:27 PM

15,640 posts, read 10,398,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I do not know these people personally, but it's not hard to find dozens of them on the internet and the things they say make me wonder how in the world they could ever be "law abiding" anything, must less law-abiding gun owners.

a muslim man murders patrons in a florida nightclub and some people blame the killer. these people say the killer alone is responsible and not Islam.

a man murders high school students and some people blame the NRA and citizens who own guns. these people say the NRA is responsible and not the killer.

do you not see the inconsistency in these two statements?

Old 03-26-2018, 12:30 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,912,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
It looks like you have some issues with your parents. Many people (like myself) who grew up around guns don't share the exact same opinions/experiences. We don't give guns too much thoughts actually. Meaning, there is no unhealthy obsession, nor is there irrational fear.

I simply cannot understand why people want to shift the responsibility from people to a silly gun which is nothing but a tool.
As I mentioned in another post, the tool is a determining factor in the mass murders. Show me a mass vehicular manslaughter where 17 people are left dead and dozens more are maimed. Show me a mass stabbing where more than 10 people die. Those events simply don't happen. Guns are an easy and effective way to drive up the body count. Bombs can be a little too suspicious to plant and detonate.

Old 03-26-2018, 12:32 PM

39,231 posts, read 27,623,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
As I mentioned in another post, the tool is a determining factor in the mass murders. Show me a mass vehicular manslaughter where 17 people are left dead and dozens more are maimed. Show me a mass stabbing where more than 10 people die. Those events simply don't happen. Guns are an easy and effective way to drive up the body count. Bombs can be a little too suspicious to plant and detonate.
Show me how the AR-15 opening fire on its own.

You shift the responsibility from people to a tool.

Timothy McVeigh used store bought items such as fertilizer to make a bomb. Using your logic, the tool (fertilizer) should be viewed as a determining factor in the mass murders. What is the next step? ban fertilizer?

Old 03-26-2018, 12:33 PM

89,061 posts, read 44,866,510 times
Quote:
No.. I disagree with anyone receiving death threats.

They can register to vote, but until they are 18, they are legally not adults who can vote yet.

I have owned guns. I'm not anti-gun. I'm anti being so in love with guns and the NRA that people ignore the safety of schoolchildren, though.
There are quite literally millions of gun owners, including millions of NRA members, who don't ignore school safety, they don't go and shoot up schools, don't bring their guns into the schools as they're "gun-free zones," etc. So, I'm not getting your point.

Old 03-26-2018, 12:35 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,042,653 times
Quote:

Hence the term "gun nuts".

It's not hyperbole.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies