Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2018, 12:57 PM

2,594 posts, read 1,244,146 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Then you need to ban all the guns, not just AR-15. Most mass shooters did not use the AR.
We don't need to ban all guns. What we need is a comprehensive gun control based on a tier system were the more dangerous a particular firearm is, the harder the requirements are to obtain it. Universal background checks, long waiting times, psychological evaluations, etc, etc.

Quote:
In Cruz case, it turned out, the gunman — 19-year-old Nikolas Cruz, who has since confessed to the shooting — had been reported, dozens of times, to school authorities, the police, and even the FBI.

So this whole "we don't know who is crazy" argument is not something I can buy.
Nobody saw the Las Vegas shooting coming. So yes, we don't really know who all the crazy people are. Even if we did, most crazy people don't actually do anything so we can't assume they are going to all be dangerous. We can't start putting people away who haven't committed any actual crimes. So the human problem is one we cannot fix. The gun problem is one we can.

Old 03-26-2018, 12:58 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,753,083 times
Quote:
Show me how the AR-15 opening fire on its own.

You shift the responsibility from people to a tool.

Timothy McVeigh used store bought items such as fertilizer to make a bomb. Using your logic, the tool (fertilizer) should be viewed as a determining factor in the mass murders. What is the next step? ban fertilizer?
Many, many tools are regulated. Many, many tools are "banned" for the average person to buy.

And yes, people are trying to register who buys large amounts of fertilizer.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...izer/31075955/

There are laws regulating the sale and transfer or dangerous quantities of fertilizer.

Old 03-26-2018, 12:59 PM

39,246 posts, read 27,645,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenFresno View Post
We don't need to ban all guns. What we need is a comprehensive gun control based on a tier system were the more dangerous a particular firearm is, the harder the requirements are to obtain it. Universal background checks, long waiting times, psychological evaluations, etc, etc.

Nobody saw the Las Vegas shooting coming. So yes, we don't really know who all the crazy people are. Even if we did, most crazy people don't actually do anything so we can't assume they are going to all be dangerous. We can't start putting people away who haven't committed any actual crimes. So the human problem is one we cannot fix. The gun problem is one we can.
I am not against any of those, (pink) by the way.

Never said one needs to put crazy people away, either.

Old 03-26-2018, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Many, many tools are regulated. Many, many tools are "banned" for the average person to buy.

And yes, people are trying to register who buys large amounts of fertilizer.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...izer/31075955/

There are laws regulating the sale and transfer or dangerous quantities of fertilizer.
well, I would like to see how you "regulate" them first before making a comment. As for now, I don't know what "regulate it" is all about. Ban all AR15? Making it more difficult for people to obtain it? or Making it impossible for anyone to obtain it.

This said, The AR -15 is only as dangerous as the person wielding it. Every firearm has its niche and it's only as good or bad in that niche as the shooter behind it.

Old 03-26-2018, 01:06 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,931,188 times
Quote:
Show me how the AR-15 opening fire on its own.

You shift the responsibility from people to a tool.

Timothy McVeigh used store bought items such as fertilizer to make a bomb. Using your logic, the tool (fertilizer) should be viewed as a determining factor in the mass murders. What is the next step? ban fertilizer?
And how easy was it to track him down?

The gun don't shoot on its own but it makes it far easier to cause damage with said gun versus a knife or even a car. Knives have to strike vital organs such as the stomach to kill, guns can kill in the head, neck or any major blood vessels. That is the point that people like you who make these claims don't realize.

And then you go an make a slippery slope argument about banning fertilizer. And you wonder why some pro-gun people can't be reasoned with...

Old 03-26-2018, 01:07 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,129,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastforme View Post
There's 110,000,000+ million rifles in America. Of those around 30 or 40 million (no one knows the exact number) are modern sporting rifles(ARs,AKs, etc).

No one is turning in their rifles or 30 round mags. Not going to happen.

Hogg and his ignorant 17 and 18 year old friends are clueless and are becoming America's top gun salesmen. I've made several calls to local gunstores and ARs are once again quadrupling in sales in some of the stores.

Example in CT. Back around 2014 the state wanted all "assault weapons" registered and all high cap. Mags. Declared
Of the estimated 370,000 rifles only 50,000 were brought for registration. That's 13% compliance. Of the estimated 1 million High cap. Mags. Only 40,000 were declared. That's 4% compliance. And this is in Libby CT.

Anti-gunners efforts are futile.

ARs and AKs are sporting rifles...yeah if your "sport " is hunting humans.

Old 03-26-2018, 01:08 PM

2,594 posts, read 1,244,146 times
Quote:
I am not against any of those, (pink) by the way.

Never said one needs to put crazy people away, either.
The reason Cruz was never put away by the police is because he hadn't actually committed any crime prior to the shooting. He was saying and acting in a concerning fashion but he wasn't actually a criminal in any legal sense. Until the moment he walked into the Parkland school with an AR-15 and opened fire.

In any other country Cruz would just be an unstable manic. America with its gun fetish allowed Cruz the opportunity to act upon his worst violent impulses. We can't stop a Cruz from being born but we can control how much damage they can inflict upon our society. We need gun control.

Old 03-26-2018, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
And how easy was it to track him down?

The gun don't shoot on its own but it makes it far easier to cause damage with said gun versus a knife or even a car. Knives have to strike vital organs such as the stomach to kill, guns can kill in the head, neck or any major blood vessels. That is the point that people like you who make these claims don't realize.

And then you go an make a slippery slope argument about banning fertilizer. And you wonder why some pro-gun people can't be reasoned with...
My question is not answered. I am very easy to be reasoned with, actually. You already have an opinion of me and will do everything to discredit me.

I have already said it many times before, nothing needs to be said between you and I.

Old 03-26-2018, 01:11 PM

Quote:
The reason Cruz was never put away by the police is because he hadn't actually committed any crime prior to the shooting. He was saying and acting in a concerning fashion but he wasn't actually a criminal in any legal sense. Until the moment he walked into the Parkland school with an AR-15 and opened fire.

In any other country Cruz would just be an unstable manic. America with its gun fetish allowed Cruz the opportunity to act upon his worst violent impulses. We can't stop a Cruz from being born but we can control how much damage they can inflict upon our society. We need gun control.
This is something I can agree with. Gun control is needed, I also agree.

Like I said earlier, as of right now, I just don't know what this "gun control" is all about. Is it all about taking ar15 from everybody? Is it about making it DIFFICULT for some people to obtain AR-15? What is it all about?

Let me know what this whole gun control is all about, then we can have another civilized discussion.

Old 03-26-2018, 01:12 PM

19,855 posts, read 12,130,333 times
Quote:

He was reported to the FBI for promising to shoot up a school. The FBI didn’t bother to even speak with him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies