Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2018, 04:30 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,702,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
This article does an excellent job on the history of the AR and its rise to popularity.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...-ar-15-n831171

The reason is that despite being available beginning in the 1980's, the most popular variants were banned in the 1994 AWB. When that expired in 2004, the sales rate skyrocketed and it has rapidly become the most popular rifle on the market. There are many factors that drive that popularity, but certainly most among them is the simple fact that it is an exceedingly good rifle.

As far as its role in mass shootings, it has to do with increasing availability, combined with the fact that it is an extremely good rifle. It is, essentially, an excellent tool for committing a mass shooting and is now more easily and readily available than it ever was.

It's also the weapon of choice for many native caribou hunters in Alaska. It's a small caliber, high velocity bullet that doesn't damage a lot of meat. Very effective in all kinds od deer too.

Old 03-26-2018, 04:32 PM

2,594 posts, read 1,243,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
That's extremely obvious. Just for you, I'll break it down kindergarten easy.....you are mad that less than 300 people are killed yearly by rifles (all long guns) but don't give a damn about the 9000+ that are killed by pistols.
And where are you getting this idea from?

Quote:
What does military have to do with it?
To highlight the ease it is to kill with such weapons. An individual doesn't need any formal training or skill to be able to mass murder 60 people and injure 850 at distance or up close. I thought that point was pretty self explanatory.

Quote:
Yet, the pistol does much more damage....but the AR is the "hugely problematic" problem.

Shows, how much you really have no clue what you're talking about.
Pistols are far more common, hence they are used more. And yeah they are a huge problem in this country. We are discussing the AR-15 here specifically because of its more recent used in mass shootings. I would imagine comprehensive gun control measures would absolutely include semi-auto handguns.

Old 03-26-2018, 04:32 PM

39,239 posts, read 27,635,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
It is what it is don't know what else to call it. I understand though freedom to own instruments of death is more important than dead people.
You can call it ArmaLite-15 (AR-15)

if this is weapon of war, please tell me WHICH military branch is using it as their service rifle.

Please tell me that.

I think "ban semi-automatic rifles" is at least a valid argument. But once you call ar15 weapon of war, I think your side at least lost a little bit of credibility. No?

Old 03-26-2018, 04:33 PM

27,215 posts, read 46,778,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastforme View Post
There's 110,000,000+ million rifles in America. Of those around 30 or 40 million (no one knows the exact number) are modern sporting rifles(ARs,AKs, etc).

No one is turning in their rifles or 30 round mags. Not going to happen.

Hogg and his ignorant 17 and 18 year old friends are clueless and are becoming America's top gun salesmen. I've made several calls to local gunstores and ARs are once again quadrupling in sales in some of the stores.

Example in CT. Back around 2014 the state wanted all "assault weapons" registered and all high cap. Mags. Declared
Of the estimated 370,000 rifles only 50,000 were brought for registration. That's 13% compliance. Of the estimated 1 million High cap. Mags. Only 40,000 were declared. That's 4% compliance. And this is in Libby CT.

Anti-gunners efforts are futile.
Hogg has been shown with the same way to great the public as the man responsible for killing half my family.

That same man was also responsible for taking away guns!

This young guy should first get a lesson in history as he is not even at an age that he legally can buy a gun and now wants to become the spokesperson to take guns away like the man who was responsible for the gas chambers did.

Old 03-26-2018, 04:34 PM

89,060 posts, read 44,888,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
It's also the weapon of choice for many native caribou hunters in Alaska. It's a small caliber, high velocity bullet that doesn't damage a lot of meat. Very effective in all kinds of deer too.
Exactly. No need to blast the caribou or deer (or any other game) all to hell.

Old 03-26-2018, 04:39 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,316,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekigurl View Post
If you're referring to the quote
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional security."
No he didn't.

freud quotes: Where did Freud say, "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."?
Thank you! I was just going to post the same thing. It appears that it showed up in a book about guns several years ago and it's made the rounds of the internet several times since then, and you're right- he never said it.

Old 03-26-2018, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I am not convinced.

Another question, What's the difference between an AR-15 and a Ruger ranch rifle? They are both the same caliber and they are both semi-automatic.

So why AR-15? Why banning just AR?

You don't think they would just use Ruger Ranch rifle instead? come on.
In terms of the damage capable from both weapons they are nearly identical. It was the Ruger Mini-14 that was used in three well known spree shootings.

École Polytechnique massacre
The Ladysmith Massacre
and the 2011 Norway Attacks

The AR platform is getting the attention now since it has been recently used in several large scale public shootings here in America

Sandy Hook
Parkland
Las Vegas
Texas Church
Orlando Night Club
San Bernardino

I would imagine the restrictions being placed on AR-15's would carry over to AK's, SKS, Ruger Mini-14's and other large capacity semi-auto rifles.

Old 03-26-2018, 04:44 PM

39,239 posts, read 27,635,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenFresno View Post
In terms of the damage capable from both weapons they are nearly identical. It was the Ruger Mini-14 that was used in three well known spree shootings.

École Polytechnique massacre
The Ladysmith Massacre
and the 2011 Norway Attacks

The AR platform is getting the attention now since it has been recently used in several large scale public shootings here in America

Sandy Hook
Parkland
Las Vegas
Texas Church
Orlando Night Club
San Bernardino

I would imagine the restrictions being placed on AR-15's would carry over to AK's, SKS, Ruger Mini-14's and other large capacity semi-auto rifles.
Oh, so ban all semi-auto rifles.

Old 03-26-2018, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Oh, so ban all semi-auto rifles.

A total ban is not needed, just some nice strong gun control would be nice for a change.

Old 03-26-2018, 04:48 PM

9,727 posts, read 9,736,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
David Hogg and his friends are the real alpha males making change happen. The female students in the movement are just as courageous. They could have opted for long term trauma recovery after that horrific shooting, but rolled up their sleeves to get their message out. Because of them, a staunch Republican Florida governor, Rick Scott, signed stricter gun control legislation recently. The NRA underestimated these students and filed a desperate lawsuit against Florida that will hopefully be dismissed on arrival by a knowledgeable, sensible judge.

Some of the students met with Donald Trump and also held a town hall meeting that even included an NRA spokeswomen. There will be several more town hall meetings. You calling them names (ignorant, etc) will not stop their progress. Probably amuses them instead. Expect several Congress people in the midterm elections to lose if they take them lightly.
David Hogg is no "alpha" anything. He is a limp-wristed drama club emo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.