Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2018, 03:35 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,846,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
I feel pretty much the same way you do about Trump in relation to the military, but I'm curious....Have you served in the military?
No, I haven't.

Though I have immense respect for the men and women who do serve and feel they deserve far more respect and support than they receive, I am very anti-war.

Moreover, I'm not a 2nd Amendment ideologue who believes in unfettered access to guns and calls herself a patriot simply because I own an arsenal of weapons, including AR-15s (I don't). Our soldiers are among the elite group who are our heroes/heroines and patriots.

Last edited by newdixiegirl; 04-01-2018 at 03:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2018, 03:36 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,554,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phinneas j. whoopee View Post
Heres a thought. Would you stand at the grave of any of the 58000 who died and tell them with the assumption their spirits could hear you:
"If youd have used a deferment instead I would now call you a scumbag"???
Hey!

You're right. That's a thought. Your thought. And it's a poor one. You go stand at those graves and pose your "question." Since it's yours.

Quote:
At what point in the war would we label inductees who showed up, morons? Not patriots? Late '71? Mid '72?
Who's "we" amigo?
Quote:
When Congress was determined to block nixon and his efforts?
I say this as a veteran who signed up in 79 when war with Iran seemed imminent.
Vietnam is a very confused war morally. I can only imagine what a hell it would be to go there. After 1968 I am not sure I would have went though.
Nam was a poorly conceived and mismanaged mess fought largely because the decision makers wanted to "stop the march of communism." Long before it ended it was obvious that the south would be overrun. Those decision makers were shown to wrong. Very wrong.

The real tragedy is that none of today's decision makers learned a thing from that quagmire. Now we're doing the same thing on a smaller scale in the middle east.

Old 04-01-2018, 03:49 PM

6,927 posts, read 6,941,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post

Truly cute.

+1 rep
Quit it, or I might start liking you!

Old 04-01-2018, 05:02 PM

34,237 posts, read 18,594,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
Quit it, or I might start liking you!
Get a room!

Old 04-02-2018, 05:52 AM

59,113 posts, read 27,340,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
It may be that Mr. Khan 'attacked' Trump first. But Trump could have been the adult in the room and chosen not to respond to a grieving father.

We have choices in life how to get our message across. Trump has and continues to choose the childish tactics of personal attacks Why? -- because he is simple minded not because his supporters are.
" But Trump could have been the adult in the room"

Thank you for admitting that ALL the lefties on her who constantly attack Trump, spell is name wrong, call him insulting names are NOT ADULTS.

And who said, "they can cling to their guns and religion", etc?

Who called ALL trump supporters "deplrorables"?

I could fill pages of "adult" dems insults

If you can't TAKE IT DON'T dish it out"

"to a grieving father."

B.S. He CHOSE to use his dead son as a political prop.

Kahn's ENTIRE thing was political.

"Here are some new facts coming out on Twitter that are yet to be confirmed. Thought I’d post here in case someone wants to do more research:
– Khan was paid $25,000 by the Clinton campaign to speak at the DNC.
– the speech was not written by Mr. Khan, but by two campaign staffers.
– the copy of the US Constitution that Mr. Khan held up was bought only two HOURS before his speech by a female staffer, to be used solely as a prop and Khan returned the book after speaking.
– 5 Gold Star families turned down the opportunity to speak before Khan was contacted by the Clinton campaign.
– All five families were paid $5,000 and signed a non disclosure.
– Khan’s immigration law firm is in debt $1.7M and owes back taxes of upward $850,000 plus penalties.
– CNN paid Khan over $100,000 to tell his “story” and repeated interviews across networks.
– Khan was given a bonus of $175k by the DNC for his effort in the media.
– The IRS has since put Khan’s tax file on a “hold” status.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7OH6C6FmCM
Mr. Khan was paid $25,000 to give a speech that he did not write, the speech was written by two people who work for the Clinton Campaign, also the copy of the constitution he showed was bought just hours before by a female Clinton staffer. Now this all seems bad but it gets worse.
medium.com/@AppSame/can-khizr…"

Khan was paid $25,000 & speech written by staffers; Constitution bought 2 hours before DNC speech – Investment Watch Blog

Old 04-02-2018, 05:55 AM

59,113 posts, read 27,340,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Doesn't justify why Trump retaliated in a childish way.

Nope -- never okay to justify inappropriate dialogue.

Somebody has to be the adult.

Where are the adults?
"Where are the adults?"

Certainly very FEW in the dem party!

Old 04-02-2018, 05:55 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,119,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
I am not thrilled with a lot of what Trump has said,or done but at least he can pay tribute to a group of veterans who have been ostracized for decades.............

Two million members on CD and I have not seen one mention of this day...........

https://www.military.com/daily-news/...erans-day.html

I guess his bone-spur deferment lapsed.

Old 04-02-2018, 08:12 AM

7,473 posts, read 4,020,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
I guess his bone-spur deferment lapsed.
Trump was not the only one............

Clinton's Draft Avoidance

Old 04-02-2018, 08:32 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,619,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
" But Trump could have been the adult in the room"

Thank you for admitting that ALL the lefties on her who constantly attack Trump, spell is name wrong, call him insulting names are NOT ADULTS.

And who said, "they can cling to their guns and religion", etc?

Who called ALL trump supporters "deplrorables"?

I could fill pages of "adult" dems insults

If you can't TAKE IT DON'T dish it out"

"to a grieving father."

B.S. He CHOSE to use his dead son as a political prop.

Kahn's ENTIRE thing was political.

"Here are some new facts coming out on Twitter that are yet to be confirmed. Thought I’d post here in case someone wants to do more research:
– Khan was paid $25,000 by the Clinton campaign to speak at the DNC.
– the speech was not written by Mr. Khan, but by two campaign staffers.
– the copy of the US Constitution that Mr. Khan held up was bought only two HOURS before his speech by a female staffer, to be used solely as a prop and Khan returned the book after speaking.
– 5 Gold Star families turned down the opportunity to speak before Khan was contacted by the Clinton campaign.
– All five families were paid $5,000 and signed a non disclosure.
– Khan’s immigration law firm is in debt $1.7M and owes back taxes of upward $850,000 plus penalties.
– CNN paid Khan over $100,000 to tell his “story” and repeated interviews across networks.
– Khan was given a bonus of $175k by the DNC for his effort in the media.
– The IRS has since put Khan’s tax file on a “hold” status.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7OH6C6FmCM
Mr. Khan was paid $25,000 to give a speech that he did not write, the speech was written by two people who work for the Clinton Campaign, also the copy of the constitution he showed was bought just hours before by a female Clinton staffer. Now this all seems bad but it gets worse.
medium.com/@AppSame/can-khizr…"

Khan was paid $25,000 & speech written by staffers; Constitution bought 2 hours before DNC speech – Investment Watch Blog
Yawn 🌒 Cool story bro

Old 04-02-2018, 09:09 AM

39,230 posts, read 27,623,465 times
mah @ draft dodgers

I think the general attitude is that It was a long time ago, so it doesn’t matter anymore. The only chicken****, dodger *******s should be absolutely hated are the ones who made it hard on the returning vets when they returned home. you know who you are!

So why does it matter? Trump never said anything bad about people who have served honorably. The McCain remark is a personal attack in my opinion. He should have chosen his words wisely, but I doubt it is a general attack towards ALL pows.

I have to say that I am sick and tired of the lone survivor type of hero stories. That is a failed mission. I am not saying those people are not heroes, but seriously. There are military service men and women have done their jobs , and you will never hear about any of them. Maybe not Hollywood worthy? I don't know. Like for example, my friend who is a Marine saved an Army ranger on the battlefield. He lost one leg and one arm and he is now working at a gas station. The guy is a true hero too, you'd never hear about him, obviously.

Humayun Khan is absolutely a true hero because he saved his fellow soldiers' lives and he sacrificed his own. If this guy is not a hero, I don't know who is. But his dad? no, no comments. He's a gold star dad, so I will just leave it at that. But then again, general Kelly is also a gold star dad, general Kelly served honorably himself too. This doesn't stop somebody from attacking him, saying he does not deserve to wear the uniform.

One's arguments need to be consistent in order to be taken seriously. There shouldn't be any double standards. What exactly are the differences between Ali and Trump? In my opinion, neither person needs to be praised or demonized. Neither said anything bad about the veterans, so they are both okay.

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 04-02-2018 at 09:22 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies