Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2018, 07:56 AM

15,843 posts, read 20,653,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
As to the level of ammo he had, keep in mind that many people buy large amounts of ammo for law abiding reasons.

1600 rounds is just a typical day with a few buddies at the range with a few different firearms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2018, 03:34 PM

16,744 posts, read 8,731,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Giving lie to the assertion that you cannot buy a gun online.
I am not sure what you mean by this unless you are saying people lie about being able to buy guns online.

Few should make such an assertion, because you can buy entire guns online, not just parts to create/modify them.
Now there are laws/restrictions, but I am not sure why someone would think in this internet age, you should not be able to do so, as long as you are within the law.
The website GunBroker has ebay style auctions going 24/7/365 to buy guns online.

Quote:
All I know is what I read in the stories. Apparently he thought he could. This is why all mailorder sales of firearms components neds to come to an abrupt halt.
Herein lies the problem, with people like you wanting to take away law abiding citizens abilities just because there is an occasional nut who misuses something.
If a gun owner wants or needs a part or accessory for their firearm, why shouldn't he or she be able to purchase it online?

`

Old 04-04-2018, 03:36 PM

45,675 posts, read 24,117,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
If you see something say something.
Yes that's the first thing they always say after a tragedy but it isn't the ONLY strategy we should use.

Old 04-04-2018, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Correct. I have no intention of chasing every rabbit.

Since you have nothing to share, there is nothing else to talk about. I shared my proposal, and all you have is "no ,no, no, no" to everything. That attitude will become costly when Dems are back in power, because if nothing is done, they will do something which will leave a lot of people very unhappy, including myself.

Give it a rest, as you want to make not only un-constitutional proposals, but are even unwilling to see the potential reasons why it should never come to pass. At minimum if there are requirements to something, it is not a right, it is a privilege, correct?

Also, one needs to look no further than cities that issue permits to carry, on a "need basis". Well if that city decides no one needs one, guess how many will actually get a permit?
That is right, only the ones that grease people or that are politically connected.

More importantly, allowing for criteria protocols to be met just to own a firearm will lead to abuses by those who want to limit/restrict private gun ownership.
If you cannot see that, then you are not the gun rights proponent you claim to be.

`

Old 04-04-2018, 03:47 PM

Quote:
There's your loophole. Find a willing "private seller", pick something out fomr the two hundred or so "personal arms" he has in his house, flash your cash, and drive away with whatever you want.
But again, that is a violation of the law.
So what additional laws are going to prevent any crime if the person is intent on committing said crime. Obviously laws are created as deterrents, with potential penalties if they are violated. Thus law abiding people stay within those laws. But the criminals obviously do not.
To make a straw purchase and resell that weapon to a person prohibited from buying said weapon, is a felony.

`

Old 04-04-2018, 03:47 PM

34,302 posts, read 18,687,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
He could purchase the parts legally in any store. I've been telling you all about this for years. This blows holes in any back ground check.
You must have the receiver of ANY firearm (the part that has the serial number) go through an FFL, with background check, and Federal Form 4473. So you may be able to buy some of the parts, but not the most critical one that makes it functional. He would have had to ILLEGALLY fabricate the receiver, and that will get you jail time as it is a Felony.

Old 04-04-2018, 04:14 PM

Quote:
You'd be hard pressed to find an AR in specifically .223.
What makes you think that the thousands of AR's sold before the 5.56 came along have just disappeared?

`

Old 04-04-2018, 04:40 PM

47,031 posts, read 26,143,985 times
Quote:
It's a lower, not a barrel, not a bcg. ARs are lower pressure to begin with.
If only I'd thought to specify "receiver".

Old 04-04-2018, 07:24 PM

1,515 posts, read 1,229,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
You must have the receiver of ANY firearm (the part that has the serial number) go through an FFL, with background check, and Federal Form 4473. So you may be able to buy some of the parts, but not the most critical one that makes it functional. He would have had to ILLEGALLY fabricate the receiver, and that will get you jail time as it is a Felony.
Not true! From the BATFE site: https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/does...m-personal-use

Old 04-04-2018, 07:44 PM

21,508 posts, read 10,636,139 times
Quote:
Yes, indeed. Why was he able to purchase sufficient parts online to build an operational firearm? The sale of firearms components online needs to come to an end.
I agree with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies