Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2018, 03:46 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,143,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MongooseHugger View Post
They've managed to tick off two distinct political groups.
1.) Those on the Left who are angry about privacy violations and that believe that they helped Trump win. This side started the #DeleteFacebook hashtag.
2.) Those on the Right who are tired of political censorship of Facebook and are moving to Mewe, etc.
With the double attack, is this the end of Facebook?
Your post is awfully vague. I know of no major company in the past that went under just because of ticking off two political groups, especially not one that had a grip on most of the citizenry.

Perhaps you'd like to start again and re-phrase, maybe by asking about regulations, lawsuits, or public disillusionment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2018, 09:01 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,226,677 times
I hope it can be reformed, but I doubt it can, because its what they are doing that they do not NEED to do to make money (and actually costs them money) that is the problem.

Really the issue is that they operate their business with an agenda beyond that of merely operating successfully as a business. They have political ambitions contrary to the interests of America and the West.

Old 04-11-2018, 09:08 PM

2,924 posts, read 1,588,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
Would be crazy if MySpace made a return.
I've thought about it. They do have some nice stuff there probably. And they don't censor like Facebook.

Old 04-11-2018, 09:11 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,678,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
Really the issue is that they operate their business with an agenda beyond that of merely operating successfully as a business. They have political ambitions contrary to the interests of America and the West.
You mean manafort, flynn, trump and page and all of those guys? Yes, you are right - they have interests aligned with Russia and others who pay them off.

Facebook has interest in connecting people and keeping radicals off their platform. A moderated Facebook will attract MANY more advertisers and therefore make them much more money. This is the same reason that many TV stations (cable aside) have always "run the middle".....you don't want the average person (and that is not you) being upset with what they read or having others calling them names.

Facebook will not go away. The news cycle will move on and they will see a tiny blip but then move on.

No smart business is going to stop advertising on a platform that delivers as much or more than any other medium....for less money.

As it stands, FB and google only have 25% of ad dollars. I expect them to easily make it to 40-50%....as they provide as much as 10X for the same dollar spent as radio and TV.

I actually feel bad for other media because they simply cannot deliver value given their current business models.

Trump promised to cut regulations. It's hard to imagine a "lame duck" Congress (they do nothing and they know things will change in November) doing anything "legal" which can constrict Facebook and not cause havoc elsewhere.

Old 04-11-2018, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
I think it will my FB stock is up $7 today. No one cares about what data is being collected
They will when some of my friends are done with them. We're going to mention all about Digital Promise, Project Unicorn, IMS Global Learning Consortium, Chan Zuckerberg Initiative, and all the stuff Big Government and Big Tech doesn't want you to know about how they are data mining you and planning to control your lives. I also hope that it begins the end of Microsoft too (Windows 10 surely helped with that ) as Mr. Gates's goose will be SO cooked!

Old 04-11-2018, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
It is a CIA backdoor. Created by the CIA. Same as Google.
People would never giver the government the information they give Facebook, Twitter or Google/Youtube. People don't know, social media is Government and all archived, in government databases.
Starting to wonder, but they are at least letting us use the government's platform to attack the Big Business and Big Government alliance, so, for now, we'll play dumb....

Old 04-11-2018, 09:30 PM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Facebook has seen some decline over the years. However, for what alot of people need, Facebook still gets alot of use. It is a quick and easy way to get to millions of people for things like promoting a product, connecting, networking etc. Facebook has pretty much stood the test of time compared to other social media sites.

For what it's worth, I've been on Facebook since 2005, when it was thefacebook. I remember when it was strictly for college students. Myspace was for the general public. Facebook would later become for the general public. The thing about myspace was this. It was good for little more than putting one's narcissism out there. Myspace had alot of trashiness towards the late 2000s. It became a nuthouse. And then classic Myspace got shut down. Suddenly, some of that migrated to Facebook. Facebook still has alot of the educated audience. In some cases even more so because people in the 40s and 50s can be part of Facebook now. Businesses have Facebook pages.

Old 04-11-2018, 09:32 PM

8,555 posts, read 10,981,308 times
I have never belonged to any of the social media sites, and never will.
I get all the socializing I need on the forums I belong too,and those people only know what I want them to know.

Bob.

Old 04-11-2018, 09:43 PM

13,212 posts, read 21,832,803 times
Yes. Facebook isn't going anywhere. As someone said, 2 BILLION users. Get that? The United States could ban Facebook completely and it would barely register as a blip to their business. People just don't understand how huge that is.

I've traveled extensively across Africa by land and have met many villagers who are on Facebook. These are indigent people living in huts with outdoor fires for a kitchen, but they have cell phones and are on Facebook. How can Facebook sign up an entire country of poor people? It's kind of brilliant what they did, actually.

Zuckerberg made an arrangement with the cellular providers in Africa such that he would pay for Africans data as long as they're on Facebook. Get that? Free data for Facebook in Africa. I take advantage of that myself when I'm there. I'm pretty certain their penetration rate in Africa is better than in the US. And Zuck does that in a lot of 3rd world countries from what I understand. I myself have many African FB friends now. It's pretty interesting to see their comments on my photos of life in the US while looking at their photos of their family posed in front of their hut.

Another reason Facebook is here to stay is because of friends lists. If you have hundreds or thousands of people as friends, it's a huge job to move that friends mesh to another platform.

I've connected with so many people from my past it's amazing. And now I can stay in touch with them for the rest of my life.

I know, I sound like a Facebook fan boy, but I'm really not. There are a lot of things I don't like about FB. But they have that first mover advantage and so many of us our locked in and I'm sure Facebook intends to keep it that way.

Old 04-11-2018, 09:44 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,678,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
I have never belonged to any of the social media sites, and never will.
I get all the socializing I need on the forums I belong too,and those people only know what I want them to know.

Bob.
Maybe so, but just as a couple examples...some friends I hadn't seen in 35+ years recently stopped by. Many others have also. I'm not building relationships with these folks, but it's a blast to see a dude who you last knew when both of you were 15 or 16.

I also met someone who is a relative and a Doctor of Genetics. He and his wife are world travelers and stopped overnight at our place. He informed of of a LOT about our family and even identified the hillside in Italy where that branch came from and still lives. BTW, that branch contains the Ferragamo fashion empire...so I got all those stories too!

Lots of other such connections. If your world is fine as it is and none of this stuff matters to you, that's all good and fine. But I really like learning new things. It's fun talking, even online, to others you haven't seen since grade or middle school.

And so on.

I'm a fairly private person, but still value all of this stuff. Without facebook it simply would not have happened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies