Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2018, 11:38 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,080,699 times

Advertisements

Many in Washington politics have long heard that younger voters plan to go to the polls in large numbers, only to see that enthusiasm taper off as voting day nears. But a new poll released Tuesday by Harvard University's Institute of Politics indicates that this year may be different.

IOP polling director John Della Volpe said this is the highest level of interest in voting they have seen in a midterm cycle since they started the poll. And that young Democrats are driving nearly all of the increase in enthusiasm. A majority (51%) report that they will “definitely” vote in November, which represents a 9-percentage point increase since November 2017 and is significantly larger than the 36 percent of Republicans who say the same.

Quote:
Preference for Democratic control of Congress has grown between now and the time of the last IOP poll. In Fall 2017, there was a 32-point partisan gap among the most likely young voters, 65 percent preferring Democrats control Congress, with 33 percent favoring Republicans. Today, the gap has increased to 41 points, 69 percent supporting Democrats and 28 percent Republicans.
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/w...number-gop-2-1

Pollsters compare this cycle to the post-Watergate period when young voters flocked to the polls, effectively changing the make up of Congress. In a statement accompanying the poll, Della Volpe added, "Millennials and post-Millennials are on the verge of transforming the culture of politics today and setting the tone for the future."

Old 04-11-2018, 02:27 PM

2,753 posts, read 3,314,864 times
It's not uncommon for the party that has control of the White House to flip opposite parties in the House and Senate during midterms. The question is how big will the impact be? Republicans have an advantage since most of the Democratic Senators are up for reelection in Red States. Dean Heller has the highest likelihood of being voted out. I support Millenials coming out to vote, but I don't support them making up their minds 8 months before Election Day. That's why the Dems and media put so much attention on the Parkland shooting by creating an US vs Them mentality by pushing that you're virtuous if you support gun control and if you're against it, then you're for more dead children. It's pure disgusting political strategy to push bad motives on people who disagree. That's why Trump won in the first place. The far left pushing themselves into the ranks of the Democratic Party will only create a larger pool of voters to see the Democratic Party as a unlikely alternative.

Old 04-11-2018, 02:31 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,661,250 times
Yeah, we know, Hillary is going to win too

Old 04-11-2018, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
This was a Washington Times article, a very right wing publication. I doubt they have any love for Hillary there.

But scoff if you will. They are comparing this coming election to the post-Watergate election, which saw droves of young baby boomers flocking to the polls and changing the direction of the country. The Millennials are equally as large a voting block, and equally engaged. We shall see how it unfolds.

Old 04-11-2018, 02:40 PM

14,489 posts, read 6,102,029 times
Yeah we’ve been hearing how the GOP has zero support since about 2014 or before

Old 04-11-2018, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
Yeah we’ve been hearing how the GOP has zero support since about 2014 or before
I don't think there's any denying that this Millennial generation is involved and energized. Of course, they have to turn up at the polls in November, which remains to be seen. But if they do, the GOP could be in trouble.

But don't give it a second thought, dash. In fact, I think the Republicans should just ignore them. That will probably work out fine for them.

Old 04-11-2018, 02:46 PM

14,489 posts, read 6,102,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
I don't think there's any denying that this Millennial generation is involved and energized. Of course, they have to turn up at the polls in November, which remains to be seen. But if they do, the GOP could be in trouble.

But don't give it a second thought, dash. In fact, I think the Republicans should just ignore them. That will probably work out fine for them.

Yes I know. I’ve been hearing his for years. Probably were hearing this for decades honestly

Old 04-11-2018, 02:48 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,817,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
Millennials didn't turn out for Hillary like they did Obama. Fact of the matter is you aren't going to find a lot of Trump support among the younger generation. That's not to say it doesn't exist, but Trump's base is older, white, blue-collar, mostly rural voters. Trump supporters are deluding themselves if they think otherwise.

Old 04-11-2018, 02:49 PM

11,102 posts, read 7,168,155 times
What comes around, goes around. Most get it, but the brain-dead righties in Washington are as blind as ever to that fact of nature.

Old 04-11-2018, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
What comes around, goes around. Most get it, but the brain-dead righties in Washington are as blind as ever to that fact of nature.
And I hope they remain so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies