Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2018, 12:40 AM

3,564 posts, read 1,923,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
i have been on several juries over the years, both civil and criminal. and the standards the jurors have to follow are different between the two. the phrase "preponderance of the evidence" applies only to civil juries, and that tells that the weight of the legitimate evidence that one side produces compared to the other side usually means the side that wins produces the most evidence.

in a criminal trial the phrase used is "beyond a reasonable doubt", which means that if there are reasonable doubts, then the defendant should be found not guilty.
Thank you for the lesson

Quote:
in this case the preponderance of the evidence weighs in that the story is probably true since no evidence has been produced to indicate that the story was made up,
That's not true, at all.

The evidence that the story is made up is that this story does not appear on any reputable news source.

Search key words from the story, what do you find?
Search the names of the individuals involved, what do you find?

Every website that links to this story features advertisements and links to the t-shirt company's website.

How gullible do you have to be to not even question if this is a real news story or not?

Quote:
now if you have any REAL evidence that this story is false, lets see it. the problem though is that you have only your "feelings" and sorry my frined but that is not only evidence, but the judge in the case would throw you out of court, an dpossibly charge you with contempt if you tried to foist your "feelings" on the court.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2018, 12:55 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,502,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Former New Yorker also. Lived in Florida for 10 years. Open carry has consistently been voted down there. I have lived in PA now for over a year which I understand from my NRA husband is also an open carry state, but I have yet to see people open carrying anywhere except for HUNTERS in their Orange jackets and hats during hunting season. I live in a fairly rural area across the road from State Game Lands.

I have yet to see anyone here open carrying in supermarkets, restaurants, etc. My guess is that it might be LEGAL, but is probably frowned upon by the general public here, unlike in other states like Texas.
It's frowned upon here (Texas) too. There was a group in Tarrant County a while back insisting on open carrying at places like Sonic just to prove a point, just to look like jerks. Perfectly legal. Generally parents don't like it when these open carry ammosexuals march around showing off their guns. They come across as unhinged, even to those of us who own firearms.

Old 04-23-2018, 04:31 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,645,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
It's frowned upon here (Texas) too. There was a group in Tarrant County a while back insisting on open carrying at places like Sonic just to prove a point, just to look like jerks. Perfectly legal. Generally parents don't like it when these open carry ammosexuals march around showing off their guns. They come across as unhinged, even to those of us who own firearms.

Open Carry Texas

Old 04-23-2018, 05:12 AM

1,065 posts, read 598,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Wow, he looks like a terrorist for doing something perfectly legal.
Exactly. Go figure.

Old 04-23-2018, 05:23 AM

1,065 posts, read 598,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Terrorists don't carry holstered pistols to do their day to day activities. They act covertly with firearms, bombs, airliners, and any other device they want. Mistaking a man with a holstered pistol, playing with his two daughter for a terrorist is MORONIC.
I don't appreciate morons either but see something say something is the world we live in. Dude will figure it out, though...eventually he'll learn that terrorists come in all forms and he should downplay his image.

Old 04-23-2018, 09:52 AM

6,732 posts, read 5,176,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
Oh indeed I do, I'm gonna' follow your instructions to a "T" and do exactly what you want me to do.

The next time I see a black man wearing a t-shirt that I deem to be threatening I'm gonna' call the cops whether he's armed or not.

Remind me, who are you to tell anyone who they can and can’t call 911 on when they perceive a threat?

That’s what I thought. Ya' still don't get it do you?
It’s obviously who lacks any kind of reading comprehension.

I already said you can call the cops on whomever you want.

Multiple times, actually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Appears to meet the appearance? Wow!!!! Are you prepared to allow the police to use this standard for profiling?

Ok call the police I saw 3 black youths. They aren't doing anything wrong but they appear to meet the appearance of criminal activity. They are wearing hoodies, baggy pants half way down to their knees and they appear to be looking around.

The left screams about profiling and here we have the left profiling someone because he is pro gun.

I really need to say thank you. Everyday and I do mean everyday liberals give me a good laugh.
You’re comparing being profiled because of your skin color (something you can’t control) to being “profiled” for having a weapon in public with a t-shirt that can be perceived as looking for trouble (something you can)?

Trump supporters are a special kind of special.

Old 04-23-2018, 10:01 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,854,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeisbol View Post
That's not true, at all.

The evidence that the story is made up is that this story does not appear on any reputable news source.

Search key words from the story, what do you find?
Search the names of the individuals involved, what do you find?

Every website that links to this story features advertisements and links to the t-shirt company's website.

How gullible do you have to be to not even question if this is a real news story or not?
so the only evidence that this story is false is that it doesnt show up on any so called reputable news site? thats the best you have? talk about rubbish, perhaps it wasnt newsworthy enough for these "reputable news sources" to even bother with. i mean no one got arrested, no one was bleeding, no one even got shot at. it was a nothing burger that doesnt even grab much attention.

now if the gun had been illegally owned, the guy was brandishing the gun, or threatening people with the gun, and the cops arrested him, then that would have made the "reputable news sources" because now it was getting interesting and it fits their narrative of we have to ban guns.

and by the way, have you never heard of targeted advertising?

Old 04-23-2018, 10:42 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,219,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
You’re comparing being profiled because of your skin color (something you can’t control) to being “profiled” for having a weapon in public with a t-shirt that can be perceived as looking for trouble (something you can)?

Trump supporters are a special kind of special.
Yep. I thought it was pretty much the most asinine analogy I had ever seen, and yet some people were like "oh, that's perfect!" Special kind of special is right.

Old 04-23-2018, 11:45 AM

3,564 posts, read 1,923,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
This isn't the same guy who argued that choosing to sag your pants is "behavior" but choosing to wear a particular shirt is fashion, is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
and by the way, have you never heard of targeted advertising?
I'm saying that this news "story" is a targeted ad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies