Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2018, 02:38 PM

7,511 posts, read 4,357,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeisbol View Post
It didn't happen in Texas either

This is a fake story
I don't know? I wasn't there and have no way of proving whether that story is fake or not. I seriously doubt that you were there either?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2018, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
Back to the original post and the T-shirt, yes, the guy may have had a legal right to wear such a shirt.
And yes, the Constitution does protect a very broad range of speech, some of which is blatantly offensive.
But just because you can doesn't mean you should.

My conclusion is that the guy had the right to wear the shirt, and therefore, there was no violation of law.
However, it was a pretty douchey and tacky thing to be wearing to a park, "law-abiding" or not.

He gets no pass whatsoever from people thinking that he lacks class for wearing this to a park, and there's a good chance he was doing it to get that reaction, just to be contrarian.
My conclusion is that as long as someone ISN'T BREAKING ANY LAWS they have every right to go about their daily business without having someone calling the police over a T-shirt and LAWFULLY carrying a gun. They have every right to be there as does the complainant. Not only that but as long as he has every legal right to wear such a T-shirt nobody has any legal right to tell him not to. Again we're talking about someone who ISN'T BREAKING ANY LAWS.

No matter who you are someone is going to be offended by something someday. What you consider to be "douchey and tacky" someone else may not. What makes you or me for that matter the final arbiter on who should wear what, and where?

Maybe he was trying to garner attention to himself as he obviously succeeded. So have individuals that have taken an opposite opinion to his, just to be contrarian. Such as those March For Our Lives protests that labeled the NRA as a terrorist organization. Shouting slogans such as: "Hey, Hey, NRA. How many kids did you kill today?" Or those Black Lives Matter rallies declaring war on the nations law enforcement agencies where some have even called for the killing of police officers.

Last edited by Ex New Yorker; 04-22-2018 at 03:18 PM..

Old 04-22-2018, 03:21 PM

1,065 posts, read 598,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Woman Calls Police Over Man Wearing Pro-Gun T-Shirt At Park

This woman needs some anti-anxiety medicines, desperately.

The gentleman was doing absolutely nothing wrong, and the woman called the police because she was offended by a) his t-shirt and b) the fact that he was legally carrying a firearm. Perhaps she should stay in her safe space and let the rest of the public do their thing.
As long as he parades around like that, there will be more phone calls because society is on alert for terrorist activities - and he appears to meet that appearance.

Old 04-22-2018, 03:37 PM

34,235 posts, read 18,590,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Middletwin View Post
As long as he parades around like that, there will be more phone calls because society is on alert for terrorist activities - and he appears to meet that appearance.
Terrorists don't carry holstered pistols to do their day to day activities. They act covertly with firearms, bombs, airliners, and any other device they want. Mistaking a man with a holstered pistol, playing with his two daughter for a terrorist is MORONIC.

Old 04-22-2018, 03:39 PM

19,724 posts, read 10,131,910 times
Quote:
Wow, he looks like a terrorist for doing something perfectly legal.

Old 04-22-2018, 04:53 PM

6,120 posts, read 4,611,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
My conclusion is that as long as someone ISN'T BREAKING ANY LAWS they have every right to go about their daily business without having someone calling the police over a T-shirt and LAWFULLY carrying a gun. They have every right to be there as does the complainant. Not only that but as long as he has every legal right to wear such a T-shirt nobody has any legal right to tell him not to. Again we're talking about someone who ISN'T BREAKING ANY LAWS.

No matter who you are someone is going to be offended by something someday. What you consider to be "douchey and tacky" someone else may not. What makes you or me for that matter the final arbiter on who should wear what, and where?

Maybe he was trying to garner attention to himself as he obviously succeeded. So have individuals that have taken an opposite opinion to his, just to be contrarian. Such as those March For Our Lives protests that labeled the NRA as a terrorist organization. Shouting slogans such as: "Hey, Hey, NRA. How many kids did you kill today?" Or those Black Lives Matter rallies declaring war on the nations law enforcement agencies where some have even called for the killing of police officers.
First, to be correct in the way the facts are stated, I already said that he wasn't breaking any laws, as far as I can tell. Although-- if you change the order of the message, putting "You Control Your Kids" before "I'll Control My Guns", I can see how it could be construed as a threat. Also, no where where in my post did I endorse every statement by the groups that you mention, and I made no mention of any of those groups.

And you're correct in saying that certain things that offend some people don't offend others, but that's a specious argument that depends on the crowd one associates with (i.e. "snitching" offends violent prisoners more than robbery). It's clear that some things simply shouldn't be done or said because they cross the line of decency. Choosing to wear a shirt like this, of all places, to a public park where kids are playing is a creepy and twisted thing to do, whether it's legal or not. He's not going to get any pats on the back for doing this (well...he may from some people, but that's because they think like that too) because he sure doesn't deserve them.

Someone may have the Constitutionally protected right to wear a shirt with the message "Hip Hip Horay for the K-K-K" but that doesn't mean it's going to win them awards for good manners or being a good citizen or neighborly or someone who deserves any respect whatsoever, just like wearing an offensive gun shirt in a public park isn't going to. I can tell you that I would not choose to associate with someone wearing that kind of shirt, nor would I knowingly hire someone like that to do any work for me.

Last edited by Jowel; 04-22-2018 at 06:16 PM..

Old 04-22-2018, 05:01 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,826,533 times
Quote:
Yea, of course, because calling the police on lawful activities is such a great use of resources.

Old 04-22-2018, 06:18 PM

3,564 posts, read 1,923,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
I don't know? I wasn't there and have no way of proving whether that story is fake or not. I seriously doubt that you were there either?
Well, der, we weren't there. I guess we can't use reason and see that this is, almost certainly, a fake ****ing story.

Old 04-22-2018, 06:59 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,884,675 times
Quote:
Appears to meet the appearance? Wow!!!! Are you prepared to allow the police to use this standard for profiling?

Ok call the police I saw 3 black youths. They aren't doing anything wrong but they appear to meet the appearance of criminal activity. They are wearing hoodies, baggy pants half way down to their knees and they appear to be looking around.

The left screams about profiling and here we have the left profiling someone because he is pro gun.

I really need to say thank you. Everyday and I do mean everyday liberals give me a good laugh.

Old 04-22-2018, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeisbol View Post
Well, der, we weren't there. I guess we can't use reason and see that this is, almost certainly, a fake ****ing story.
Well if der, you weren't there. You made the claim that it was a fake story as if you were there, der. You can reason all you want but that still doesn't change the fact that you weren't there to either corroborate or disprove that story. Your opinion of what may have happened doesn't count for a ****ing thing. Do you think that would hold up in a court of law? "Well your honor I really wasn't a witness to the crime and didn't see or hear a ****ing thing. I'm just using reason based on what I read." No, you can't just use reason, either you witnessed what had happened or you didn't, DER!

Last edited by Ex New Yorker; 04-22-2018 at 07:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies