Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2018, 12:15 PM

3,564 posts, read 1,924,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
and you know this how?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bohemka View Post
This is a fake story. You know that, right? Google it and click on a few of the links. It's the same article, nearly verbatim, over and over with the same Warrior 12 ads being served and a link to their FB page at exactly the same spot in the story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2018, 12:31 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,176,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Oh wow. Most gun owners are white males and logically sound since most of the US is white. If it wasn't a white male, percentage wise, we'd have a much bigger problem huh.
Your point? This woman thought this man was a potential threat.

After all of the complaints of people who didn’t contact authorities when something was “off” about the Parkland shooter, complaints about a woman who did just that when something felt “off” to her is just laughable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CtrlEsc View Post
Way to dodge... apparently you can't read either, or your glasses prevent you from it.
Nothing to dodge, your “argument” just plain sucks. That’s pretty much it.

Your last link referenced crime stats (the ultimate go-to / deflection for those with sorry arguments), which ironically makes my entire point. Look at that link again and ask yourself why you posted it.

Of course, you didn’t catch that (probably still won’t) and I decided to let you slide, because I’m tired of running circles around you.

Old 04-19-2018, 12:41 PM

1,081 posts, read 549,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post

After all of the complaints of people who didn’t contact authorities when something was “off” about the Parkland shooter, complaints about a woman who did just that when something felt “off” to her is just laughable.

Nothing to dodge, your “argument” just plain sucks. That’s pretty much it.

Your last link referenced crime stats (the ultimate go-to / deflection for those with sorry arguments), which ironically makes my entire point. Look at that link again and ask yourself why you posted it.

Of course, you didn’t catch that (probably still won’t) and I decided to let you slide, because I’m tired of running circles around you.
Are you really this dense or have you done so many drive-by race-baits that you forget which thread you are on?

Quote:
Remind me, is it Asian, black or Hispanic men or white women who are shooting up schools, malls, churches and music venues, or...?
My LINK shows you who is doing the shooting and explains that race is not a contributing factor:
https://www.statista.com/statistics/...hooter-s-race/

The first modern school shooting I linked, it was committed by a white female.

I am tired of dragging you by the nose. Reminds me of another adage "You can drag a horse to water..."

Old 04-19-2018, 01:29 PM

11,142 posts, read 10,716,540 times
Quote:

Calling the police when something is "off" is one thing. Considering this individual to be "off" because of the shirt he was wearing is another.

Let's take a look at what the shirt says:
Quote:
I'll control my guns, you control your kids.
The people who find that statement threatening are the same ones who can't figure out that the comma in the 2nd Amendment creates two separate clauses and argue that the 2nd only applies to militias. If the shirt had said "I'll control my guns if you control your kids" there would be a valid argument for the shirt being a threat. However, that isn't the case. The comma is used to tie two statements together in one sentence, not to imply that one is dependent upon the other.

So, the woman in the story is either incapable of reading comprehension and took the statement as a threat or is suffering from such severe hoplophobia that the mere picture of an AR-15 is enough to trigger her.

Old 04-19-2018, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohemka View Post
This is a fake story. You know that, right? Google it and click on a few of the links. It's the same article, nearly verbatim, over and over with the same Warrior 12 ads being served and a link to their FB page at exactly the same spot in the story.

They made this up knowing it would go viral. It is the definition of fake news targeted at a select target audience. Not surprisingly, it's the same target audience that believes everything they read from the same fake sources preceding the election.

Fool me 1,000 times, shame on Hillary, right?
Any time that a story is reprinted on different websites it is automatically fake news? I guess you've never heard of syndication.

Old 04-19-2018, 01:40 PM

2,274 posts, read 1,340,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Calling the police when something is "off" is one thing. Considering this individual to be "off" because of the shirt he was wearing is another.

The people who find that statement threatening are the same ones who can't figure out that the comma in the 2nd Amendment creates two separate clauses and argue that the 2nd only applies to militias. If the shirt had said "I'll control my guns if you control your kids" there would be a valid argument for the shirt being a threat. However, that isn't the case. The comma is used to tie two statements together in one sentence, not to imply that one is dependent upon the other.

So, the woman in the story is either incapable of reading comprehension and took the statement as a threat or is suffering from such severe hoplophobia that the mere picture of an AR-15 is enough to trigger her.
It is weird how the gun nuts expect people to not be concerned at all when a fellow gun nut openly displays a gun while wearing a shirt with a provocative statement after all of the episodes of gun nuts armed with lawfully obtained weapons losing their chit and murdering innocent kids. Based on what is happening in the real world outside of the ammosexual fantasy land that gun nuts dwell in, it would be negligent for a parent to not be concerned about a white man armed with a gun displaying pro-gun propaganda in a public area near children. Ignoring an armed white man hanging around your child could get them killed.

It find it doubly ironic that many of the posters that think it was not necessary to consider this armed man a threat were the same ones that needed a fainting couch to deal with their fear of the heinous activities that a transgender child could wreak inside a public school bathroom.

Old 04-19-2018, 01:40 PM

34,237 posts, read 18,594,984 times
Quote:
I think some people call the police as retribution, and punishment for someone carrying a gun. It is a way to get back at their rights, because they just don't like guns. Yes, it is a form of demented hoplophobia.

Old 04-19-2018, 01:41 PM

3,564 posts, read 1,924,330 times
Quote:

Quote:
Any time that a story is reprinted on different websites it is automatically fake news? I guess you've never heard of syndication.
The juxtaposition of these two posts is...something.

Post one: the comma indicates two different clauses - and if you cant' figure that out you're an idiot.
Post two: Just because (ignores multiple listed reasons) of this one reason something is true - idiot

Old 04-19-2018, 01:45 PM

19,651 posts, read 12,239,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
I think some people call the police as retribution, and punishment for someone carrying a gun. It is a way to get back at their rights, because they just don't like guns. Yes, it is a form of demented hoplophobia.
You are exactly right. They do it just to bully someone they don't like.

Old 04-19-2018, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeisbol View Post
The juxtaposition of these two posts is...something.

Post one: the comma indicates two different clauses - and if you cant' figure that out you're an idiot.
Post two: Just because (ignores multiple listed reasons) of this one reason something is true - idiot
There is no juxtaposition. Your claim that the story is false because it is repeated verbatim ignores the fact that many news stories are repeated verbatim on different websites, with links and ads included. There are different reasons for this, but the most likely one here is that news (and other) writers use content services to share their work. Some of those content services are unpaid and the author uses ad revenue to get paid for their writing. Website owners pick up the article and are required to print it as written, which means that the reprints will include any links or advertisements that are included in the original.

I won't call you an idiot for not knowing this, as I haven't seen you claim to be a content writer of any kind. However, I am a content writer and have looked at how content services work. Not all require verbatim reprints, and I don't do business with the ones that do simply because the revenue model is too chancy for me to play with it. However, it isn't really uncommon in the content writing world.

All that being said, even on the off chance that this story didn't happen and the entire conversation is hypothetical the arguments still stand.

~There is nothing threatening about the shirt.

~There is nothing wrong with a gentleman carrying a holstered firearm openly while at the park in a jurisdiction where it is perfectly legal.

~Anyone who thinks that the woman was correct to call the police because she was triggered by a t-shirt doesn't understand the difference between "threatened" and "uncomfortable."

I personally don't like open carry and most likely wouldn't open carry in any case. In my own opinion, this gentleman was making a statement about his beliefs by wearing the t-shirt. That doesn't mean that the woman was correct to call the police on a gentleman that was peacefully playing with his kids at the park, no matter whether he was carrying a holstered firearm or wearing a shirt that she was incapable of reading correctly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies