Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2018, 02:09 PM

34,237 posts, read 18,594,984 times

Advertisements

Our Media, Entertainment, Education, and much of our Government has created the perception that ALL guns are bad, and do bad things on their own. It is a purposeful ploy to disarm the law abiding by a forced societal shift in values due to false propaganda.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2018, 02:15 PM

15,866 posts, read 21,452,288 times
I wonder why people weren't this up in arms when someone called the police that led to Tamir Rice being shot and killed seconds after police arrived for playing with a toy gun in an open carry state.

Old 04-19-2018, 02:33 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,176,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CtrlEsc View Post
Are you really this dense or have you done so many drive-by race-baits that you forget which thread you are on?

My LINK shows you who is doing the shooting and explains that race is not a contributing factor:
https://www.statista.com/statistics/...hooter-s-race/

The first modern school shooting I linked, it was committed by a white female.

I am tired of dragging you by the nose. Reminds me of another adage "You can drag a horse to water..."
Just like I thought. Completely missed it.

For the people slower folk in the back:

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I wonder why people weren't this up in arms when someone called the police that led to Tamir Rice being shot and killed seconds after police arrived for playing with a toy gun in an open carry state.
/thread

Old 04-19-2018, 02:39 PM

50,327 posts, read 47,080,006 times
Had this guy pulled his pistol and aimed it at the cops I'm absolutely certain they would have shot him.

Rocket surgery stuff right there.

Old 04-19-2018, 03:20 PM

7,511 posts, read 4,358,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
That woman didn't demonstrate stupidity.

She's at a park filled with children and families. A man she does not know is also at the park. He's wearing a shirt about out-of-control children, and he's visibly armed. She has no way of knowing if he's legally armed or not. His shirt is communicating the idea that he dislikes out-of-control children and parents who don't control their children. His shirt also communicates that he has a gun, which is visible anyway.

If something terrible HAD happened, you and everyone else would be questioning why no one called the police beforehand. Why wasn't anyone suspicious?

Her suspicions were raised because of what the man wanted to convey to people. Whether he was a real threat or whether he was just someone with a poor sense of humor, she had no way of knowing. Direct confrontation was unwise. So she called the police.
Probably because open carry is legal in Texas. I now live in Arizona where open carry is also legal. On occasion you see people going about their daily business openly carry their sidearms. Nobody pays any attention to them or really gives a sh*t. Same if they're wearing a T-shirt with some statement and openly carrying.

Myself? I never open carry while out in public or wear clothing with what may be considered by some as a provocative statement, as I don't want to draw any unwanted attention to myself. That being said we do have both a 1st and 2nd Amendment right to exercise both. As long as they are not physically or verbally threatening anyone or brandishing a firearm, there's no reason to call the police. Would she have called the police if she witnessed someone pulling up to a liquor store, buy a bottle of whiskey and then drive away? Or a bunch of teenagers hanging out at the park and bopping to some of those violent rap lyrics?

Giving her the benefit of the doubt. If that women had known that open carry was legal in Texas, perhaps she wouldn't have freaked out and called the cops. I don't see anything threatening about a T-shirt that reads: "I’LL CONTROL MY GUNS, YOU CONTROL YOUR KIDSâ€. I'll bet you don't have a problem with some of the statements that are present at those "March For Our Lives" rallies? Some of which are clearly meant to incite violence from their opposition. Or how about the ones at the "Black Lives Matter" protests?

Old 04-19-2018, 05:27 PM

10,235 posts, read 6,326,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
Probably because open carry is legal in Texas. I now live in Arizona where open carry is also legal. On occasion you see people going about their daily business openly carry their sidearms. Nobody pays any attention to them or really gives a sh*t. Same if they're wearing a T-shirt with some statement and openly carrying.

Myself? I never open carry while out in public or wear clothing with what may be considered by some as a provocative statement, as I don't want to draw any unwanted attention to myself. That being said we do have both a 1st and 2nd Amendment right to exercise both. As long as they are not physically or verbally threatening anyone or brandishing a firearm, there's no reason to call the police. Would she have called the police if she witnessed someone pulling up to a liquor store, buy a bottle of whiskey and then drive away? Or a bunch of teenagers hanging out at the park and bopping to some of those violent rap lyrics?

Giving her the benefit of the doubt. If that women had known that open carry was legal in Texas, perhaps she wouldn't have freaked out and called the cops. I don't see anything threatening about a T-shirt that reads: "I’LL CONTROL MY GUNS, YOU CONTROL YOUR KIDSâ€. I'll bet you don't have a problem with some of the statements that are present at those "March For Our Lives" rallies? Some of which are clearly meant to incite violence from their opposition. Or how about the ones at the "Black Lives Matter" protests?
I am an ex-New Yorker too, by way of Florida (Gunshine State) and now PA for the past year and a half, which I KNOW is also an Open Carry State also. Educated on that by my gun owning husband.

I live across the road from state game lands, and see HUNTERS in their Orange jackets and hats. What I do not see are people in the supermarkets with guns strapped on their hips. Why not if it's legal? Maybe they have more common sense?

What you do not understand is that PLAYGROUNDS and CHILDREN are an inappropriate place for openly carrying guns. May be perfectly legal but totally IRRATIONAL. WHY do you want to show an instrument of death to little children? Do you also advocate 2 year olds being taught "gun safety"? Oh, yeah, that Eddie Eagle NRA blank, blank.

That man was stupid beyond belief. I say this a a Mother, Grandmother, and retired Educational Professional.

Old 04-19-2018, 06:21 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,224,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Yep, it's ok for cops to rain a volley of bullets on black men and boys who aren't even armed, but it incenses guns nuts that someone would dare call the cops on someone who is actually armed along with wearing a threatening shirt in conjunction with the gun they were carrying.

This country may be too screwed up to ever recover

Old 04-19-2018, 06:40 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,176,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Yep, it's ok for cops to rain a volley of bullets on black men and boys who aren't even armed, but it incenses guns nuts that someone would dare call the cops on someone who is actually armed along with wearing a threatening shirt in conjunction with the gun they were carrying.

This country may be too screwed up to ever recover
It may be when you consider there are people who are too stupid to understand something so simple as this. ^

Remember the black man in Florida who was shot, even though he was cooperating with cops...and he wasn’t even the one that someone called 911 on?

Not a peep from anyone in this thread about that, though. But a white guy with a gun in a public space? That’s irrational and a problem.

Old 04-19-2018, 07:08 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,858,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
I am an ex-New Yorker too, by way of Florida (Gunshine State) and now PA for the past year and a half, which I KNOW is also an Open Carry State also. Educated on that by my gun owning husband.

I live across the road from state game lands, and see HUNTERS in their Orange jackets and hats. What I do not see are people in the supermarkets with guns strapped on their hips. Why not if it's legal? Maybe they have more common sense?

What you do not understand is that PLAYGROUNDS and CHILDREN are an inappropriate place for openly carrying guns. May be perfectly legal but totally IRRATIONAL. WHY do you want to show an instrument of death to little children? Do you also advocate 2 year olds being taught "gun safety"? Oh, yeah, that Eddie Eagle NRA blank, blank.

That man was stupid beyond belief. I say this a a Mother, Grandmother, and retired Educational Professional.
again really? what was the guy doing to cause the woman to call the cops? was he playing with his gun? was he doing a billy the kid imitation? was he pointing the gun at anyone? the answer to all these questions is in fact NO he wasnt. the gun was tucked safely into his holster, doing nothing but resting there.

so basically this woman, wet her panties based on what his t shirt said, and then panicked and called the cops. heck even the cops said he was doing nothing wrong. but once again you gun grabbers cant see beyond your own fears and phobias, and you just have to stick your noses into places where they dont belong. he was minding his own business, perhaps all you hoplophobes should take a cue from him and mind your own business, especially if the guy isnt doing anything wrong.

Old 04-19-2018, 08:26 PM

7,511 posts, read 4,358,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post

Well if you took the time to read my post you'd see that I mentioned I don't open carry while going about my daily business as I do not want to draw any unwanted attention to myself. As an "Educated Professional" you should know how to read and understand the English language, shouldn't you?

At one time in Arizona the only way to legally carry a sidearm was openly until they allowed concealed carry with a permit in 1994. In July of 2010 the permit requirement was dropped for concealed carry and Arizona became what is known as a "Constitutional Carry" state. Since then you do not see too many people carrying openly anymore. However people are used to it, so it never raises any eyebrows. "Common sense" is having the ability to defend yourself in any situation and in any place you may find yourself in. Not everyone is physically fit or an expert in martial arts. They don't call guns the great equalizer for nothing. Carrying a gun is not that much different than having a fire extinguisher handy in your vehicle or at home or even wearing a seat belt while driving. They can all save your life or your body from grave bodily harm. You may not ever need it, but if you ever do you'll be sure as hell glad you have it.

On any given day at least out here you can pretty much count on people going about their daily business while armed and you'll never guess what? They're not out blowing each other away over stupid little incidents as many on your side would have you believe. In fact it may even have the opposite affect. Whether you may want to admit it or not, an armed society is a polite society. Speaking for myself the last thing I'd want is to be engaged in an armed confrontation. Carrying a gun is an awesome responsibility, if anything it makes you more cautious. You have to restrain yourself from simply giving someone the finger. Blowing your horn the moment the light turns green or cuts you off in traffic or any other incident that might get your dander up.

What you do not understand is that people who LAWFULLY, you'll note: I said LAWFULLY, carry sidearms are not a threat to anyone while going about their daily business. What you also do not understand is that playgrounds and other so called gun free zones are target rich environments for anyone intent on carrying out a massacre. Maybe you may not, but if I had any children I'd feel more comfortable knowing that there was at least somebody that was LAWFULLY armed in their presence other than relying on a cell phone and a call to 911. Then maybe the cops will arrive after the fact or even worse yet, not even make an attempt to engage the shooter as they did in Parkland. Not only that there's not enough manpower to have police presence on every block and on every street of every town, city and rural area throughout the entire country. If that were even possible we'd be living under seize in a police state run by statists. No, it's much easier to make us all safer by blaming the big bad NRA, labeling them as a terrorist organization and any other derogatory name you can come up with.

Those who carry unlawfully could care less about any laws or gun free zones. Especially those who are on a suicide mission to take out as many lives before taking their own. Disarming good people will never render bad people harmless.*** As someone who has owned guns for decades and have used them in a lawful manner I get so sick and tired of getting blamed for the actions of others.

As far as showing children "an instrument of death to little children"? Should the police and military also be required to conceal their weapons around children? What do you plan on doing about all of those "instruments of death" that are shown on TV, the movies, cartoons, in publications, and history books? Why stop at guns? Why not include any and all items that can and have been used for centuries to kill people? Why not just lock them up in a vault so as to shield them from all of the other horrors of the outside world? We can teach our children that the world is full of bunny rabbits, daffodils and lollipops turning them into helpless little lemmings in the face of real danger.

I don't know where you ever got the idea that anyone is in favor of 2 year olds handling firearms or any other dangerous substances for that matter, that are commonly found in just about every home in America. Household chemicals, matches, prescription drugs, and what not. Your argument regarding that is not only shrill and hysterical but condescending as well.

Quote:
***“But to ban guns because criminals use them is to tell the innocent and law-abiding that their rights and liberties depend not on their own conduct, but on the conduct of the guilty and the lawless, and that the law will permit them to have only such rights and liberties as the lawless will allow. …
For society does not control crime, ever, by forcing the law-abiding to accommodate themselves to the expected behavior of criminals. 
Society controls crime by forcing the criminals to accommodate themselves to the expected behavior of the law-abiding.” Jeff Snyder
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies