Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2018, 07:47 AM

8,168 posts, read 6,921,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"but the armed person does not get to ruin everyone else's day."

The scaredy cats do not get to ruin everyone else's day.

They pay their taxes which built and maintains the park just as theirs and yours do.

He has EVERY RIGHT to use it.

HIS RIGHTS to not get to be "infringed" upon because some whacko is afraid of the sight of a gun.

" be denying my right to let my kid play in an area set aside for CHILDREN."

If it is set aside FOR CHILDREN, what are the parents doing there?

"Maybe the guy in the shirt needs the anti anxiety pills if they need to flash deadly weapons in a space made for kids to play."

Maybe that is EXACTLY what this person and people like YOU need.

There is NO reason to go bonkers just at the sight of a gun.

Take a pill and chill out!

What is YOUR position if an off duty cop takes HIS kids to the park where they ae REQUIRED to "carry" ALL THE TIME and is NOT in uniform.

Should he and is kids NOT be allowed to use the park?

And I thought the left was against "profiling"?

I guess it is OK ONLY when it involves guns!
Totally agree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2018, 07:50 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,869,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
Totally agree.
You do?

And how were his rights violated?

Old 04-19-2018, 07:56 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,442,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
The same people who cried for decades "better to make doubly sure" and who melt when the FBI fails to read the minds of each and every person in the world with a gun....then worry about a woman who was scared of a firearm???

I have lived in lot of states and places and never a one where I saw someone (other than LE) walking around with a gun. You guys act like this is something we should teach kids on Sesame Street. No thanks. We (the majority) have the right to NOT feel safe with an armed populace brandishing in public. This is doubly true since most every stat shows that that those feelings are based on facts....the more guns, the more gun violence.
If you're scared just say you're scared.

Old 04-19-2018, 08:00 AM

957 posts, read 757,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Until a few years ago before Brown went into ban mode we could open carry even here. I never had anyone freak out about it either.
Let me refer you to the Mulford Act of 1967, which was signed by then Governor Ronald Reagan.

"Governor Ronald Reagan, who was coincidentally present on the capitol lawn when the protesters arrived, later commented that he saw "no reason why on the street today a citizen should be carrying loaded weapons" and that guns were a "ridiculous way to solve problems that have to be solved among people of good will." In a later press conference, Reagan added that the Mulford Act "would work no hardship on the honest citizen."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mulford_Act

Old 04-19-2018, 08:11 AM

1,081 posts, read 548,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Because the t-shirt didn't just say "I'll CONTROL my guns". When you leave out key information, your argument is rendered moot.
You are reading something into the shirt that is not there. You have an implicit bias and it is tainting your understanding of the shirt. This woman had an implicit bias.

The pit bull reference earlier is actual somewhat apropos, the woman was having issues with multiple people in the park (in this story) so she was much like a crazed pit bull. (caveat: I have known many pit bulls and they have all been very kind and caring creatures. The reputation of a few badly trained pit bulls has tainted the over all image of the pit pull. Breedism?)

Once again:
Looking at his chest, would you say this Buddha is a Nazi?

Old 04-19-2018, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CtrlEsc View Post
You are reading something into the shirt that is not there. You have an implicit bias and it is tainting your understanding of the shirt. This woman had an implicit bias.

The pit bull reference earlier is actual somewhat apropos, the woman was having issues with multiple people in the park (in this story) so she was much like a crazed pit bull. (caveat: I have known many pit bulls and they have all been very kind and caring creatures. The reputation of a few badly trained pit bulls has tainted the over all image of the pit pull. Breedism?)

Once again:
Looking at his chest, would you say this Buddha is a Nazi?

I am not reading anything into the t-shirt. I don't have an implicit bias. The woman in the story, which seems to be a made-up story, saw a shirt referencing children and guns, combined with a man carrying a gun, and she asked the police to evaluate whether a threat was present or not. The man's rights weren't violated at all.

Last edited by CaseyB; 04-19-2018 at 12:29 PM.. Reason: personal attack

Old 04-19-2018, 08:16 AM

19,620 posts, read 12,215,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollygee View Post
I think it was the location......the park, the children's swing area.....the t-shirt and the gun loaded and on the dudes waist. The situation ended peacefully and I give thanks for rational police work.

The woman was not hysterical, she is a hero. Off leash Pit bulls don't belong in city park areas, near children, either. This guy was either showing off, or wanted some kind of confrontation. JMO
If this woman objected to the man's shirt she could have approached him and opened a conversation, like a mature adult. They never do this, instead they hide behind the police or start a hissy scene, like the city council woman screaming at the church cookie girls about their Trump shirts. If she had to speak about it, how about politely asking the girls why they support Trump. See the difference? These people have to stop viewing anyone expressing an opposing view as dangerous, it is childish and irrational.

I am not sure how you compare a dad playing with his kids at park to an off leash pitbull.

And these people should not assume others will support them when they want to start trouble with an innocent person, some of us will not join in the mean girl bullying.

Old 04-19-2018, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
If this woman objected to the man's shirt she could have approached him and opened a conversation, like a mature adult.
She felt more comfortable having the police evaluate the situation. They are more qualified to do so. His rights weren't violated.

Old 04-19-2018, 08:56 AM

2,274 posts, read 1,338,339 times
As a gun owner, I would have called the police to check out a man open carrying around kids while wearing that shirt. IMO, anybody that open carries and wears shirts with that type of message are just looking to start trouble. There was no way for anyone to know that he wasn't the next white guy gun nut that was looking for a reason to start shooting. It has been proven over and over again that some white men with guns are on the edge just ready to snap and shoot anyone within range. A gun nut open carrying near children wearing a shirt designed to provoke a response raises all kinds of red flags for me.

Old 04-19-2018, 09:01 AM

39,221 posts, read 27,589,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
She felt more comfortable having the police evaluate the situation. They are more qualified to do so. His rights weren't violated.
As a legal gun owner and a conservative, I found this woman to be extremely annoying. However, I agree with you, she felt more comfortable having the police evaluate the situation.

see something, say something. She shouldn't be punished for calling the police. This said, I found the manager who called the police on those two black gentlemen should be treated exactly the same. The manager might have felt more comfortable to have the police evaluate the situation. But here we are, calling the manager a racist.

Calling the police for any reasons in my opinion should not be considered as a "crime". (for lack of a better word here)

I have a good friend who is also a combat veteran. He and I both have several stores in the shopping mall. I remember once, he reported a Muslim woman who said, "Americans are fighting illegal wars overseas and 911 was the result of that." The mall manager asked the Muslim woman to leave the property. Lucky for my friend, this incidence did not become a news.

I think taking matters in your own hands would be wrong, but calling the police to have the authority evaluate the situation should be acceptable. No matter who does the police calling, the person should not be demonized or punished.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies