Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2018, 07:05 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,219,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by revrandy View Post
Technically (liturgically speaking), Christmas is 12 days. It begins on the 25th of December and ends on the Feast of Epiphany, or January 6th.
Well, not for the purposes of the poster I was responding insisting that Christmas was observed as a national holiday. I disagree with that in the first place, but it's certainly not observed in that manner for 12 days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2018, 07:21 PM

4,851 posts, read 2,285,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
It is not a false claim, it is unequivocally what Trump claimed - that people are using the phrase more and that he's responsible for that.

Again, NO ONE has said Trump claimed credit for the words themselves, but solely the claim that people are saying it more.

Except of course, they aren't. There's zero objective proof behind his claim, yet for unknown reasons, his supporters think it's perfectly ok for him to make up these ridiculous statements and take credit for things that have nothing to do with him.

Well,since neither you or random seem to grasp what the tweet and the headline of the linked story was implying , further discussion is sort of moot. Saying "Trump claims credit for One nation under God, which started in 1954" , suggests that Trump is claiming credit for creating the phrase. Otherwise the writer would not have bothered giving you the date of its origin, and the title would have been. "Trump claims credit for One nation under God being said more often since he became POTUS."

Is it being said more? Who knows, don't care. But that's not the image the writer is trying to create in the minds of readers. Rather it is "look , Trump is such a loon he is even trying to take credit for a phrase that's been around since 1954. "

Old 05-03-2018, 07:22 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,075,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revrandy View Post
Actually they are one and the same. They, and Judaism, are classed as Abrahamic religions who have the same God. What is different is Jesus (Christian) and Mohammad (Prophet). The creator in all cases is the same God.
No. This is incorrect.

The God of the Bible is trinitarian in nature.

Allah is not.

The God of the Bible sent Jesus Christ for the salvation of mankind.

Allah did not.

A more scholarly explanation:

"Some scholars want to emphasize the similarities between Yahweh and Allah, and point to a common belief in a monotheistic God who is Creator of all things, omnipotent and merciful. Both religions also claim that God has sent prophets to reveal His will and produce scriptures to guide our lives. However, Allah and Yahweh cannot refer to the same person for the following reasons. First of all, their attributes are different. In Allah’s monadic oneness his attributes stem from his powerful Will which, because it provides no basis for relationship, often promotes capriciousness. Also, since his power is more important than his other attributes, there is an unequal emphasis on power over his other attributes. In the end, a follower cannot know God or even be sure of the consistency of his attributes.

On the other hand, because Yahweh is by nature a triune unity his attributes stem from his nature. The eternal relationship within the Trinity promotes love within the Godhead and extends to his creation. Also, since his attributes are based on his unchanging nature rather than his powerful will, all his attributes are equal and promote trustworthiness rather than capriciousness. This means that believers can know God and be sure of his attributes. Second, Christians understand the nature of God to be triune (Father, Son and Holy Spirit), which is the only way that Jesus Christ, as the second person of the Trinity, could die on the cross to pay for our sins. If Jesus were not God himself, then his death on the cross would be meaningless. However, Muslims deny that Jesus died on the cross and they reject the belief in his resurrection from the dead. Only a triune God, defined as one essence and three persons, could become incarnate and still remain God of the universe, and yet this is the God that Muslims reject. For them, Jesus cannot be God nor can God be a Father, for he cannot have a son. Therefore, if Muslims reject God as the Father of Jesus, then Allah cannot be the same as the God of the Bible."

Is Allah of Islam the same as Yahweh of Christianity? | Columbia International University

Old 05-03-2018, 07:24 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,219,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
Well,since neither you or random seem to grasp what the tweet and the headline of the linked story was implying , further discussion is sort of moot. Saying "Trump claims credit for One nation under God, which started in 1954" , suggests that Trump is claiming credit for creating the phrase. Otherwise the writer would not have bothered giving you the date of its origin, and the title would have been. "Trump claims credit for One nation under God being said more often since he became POTUS."

Is it being said more? Who knows, don't care. But that's not the image the writer was trying to create in your mind.
As I mentioned, the headline was sloppy (which more often than not, the writer doesn't actually get to write). And I probably shouldn't have used it as the thread title, but that's my customary practice when starting a thread based on an article I've read.

However, the article - and the discussion in this thread - are both explicitly clear on what the claim was. So yes, further discussion is moot if you are going to continue to ignore that fact.

Old 05-03-2018, 07:44 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,376,228 times
Quote:
As I mentioned, the headline was sloppy (which more often than not, the writer doesn't actually get to write). And I probably shouldn't have used it as the thread title, but that's my customary practice when starting a thread based on an article I've read.

However, the article - and the discussion in this thread - are both explicitly clear on what the claim was. So yes, further discussion is moot if you are going to continue to ignore that fact.

Agreed, Emm. I quoted his exact words, which were recorded on dozens of cameras in the Rose Garden today. I did not misunderstand what happened based on a sloppy headline. Difficult as it was, I actually watched Trump make the speech. And it was Trump doing what comes naturally to Trump, smearing President Obama as an enemy of the church, which he most definitely was not. and self-aggrandizing.

Old 05-03-2018, 08:09 PM

4,851 posts, read 2,285,956 times
Quote:

The tweet was most definitely written by the journalist, and makes the same sort of claim, implying that Trump is taking credit for something that has been around since 1954. Its no mistake on his part, it was deliberate. No one "accidently" inserts the fact that the phrase actually was created in 1954, well before Trumps presidency , it was a planned ploy. And if he didn't write the headline, it was written using his own words from the tweet. And you chose to run with it and make it the deceiving title of a thread here as well.

That is my point. I couldn't care less about Trump claiming more people say it now than under Obama. Maybe so, maybe no,wouldnt matter either way if we even had a way to know. Its just typical Trump buffoonishness.

My issue is with the lack of concern for truth and honesty regarding Trump that has invaded the media and the left, with folks like you being willing receipients and repeaters of the lying. The truth in journalism is a thing of the past , and too many people are willingly accepting the lies and contributing to the demise of truth in journalism because they just hate the person being lied about and aren't concerned about it because of that.

Old 05-03-2018, 09:12 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,269,029 times
Pages and pages of people discussing if Trump meant he claims he has more people saying One Nation Under God or if he actually claims to be inspiring it.

Is this like an SNL skit? Trump? One Nation Under God? The guy does nothing but divide people and hire combative confrontational divisive personnel. One Nation under anything? Too funny.

National day of prayer? You know all Trump is praying is that he doesn't have to talk to Mueller.

Old 05-03-2018, 09:45 PM

2,287 posts, read 2,588,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
No. This is incorrect.

The God of the Bible is trinitarian in nature.

Allah is not.

The God of the Bible sent Jesus Christ for the salvation of mankind.

Allah did not.

A more scholarly explanation:

"Some scholars want to emphasize the similarities between Yahweh and Allah, and point to a common belief in a monotheistic God who is Creator of all things, omnipotent and merciful. Both religions also claim that God has sent prophets to reveal His will and produce scriptures to guide our lives. However, Allah and Yahweh cannot refer to the same person for the following reasons. First of all, their attributes are different. In Allah’s monadic oneness his attributes stem from his powerful Will which, because it provides no basis for relationship, often promotes capriciousness. Also, since his power is more important than his other attributes, there is an unequal emphasis on power over his other attributes. In the end, a follower cannot know God or even be sure of the consistency of his attributes.

On the other hand, because Yahweh is by nature a triune unity his attributes stem from his nature. The eternal relationship within the Trinity promotes love within the Godhead and extends to his creation. Also, since his attributes are based on his unchanging nature rather than his powerful will, all his attributes are equal and promote trustworthiness rather than capriciousness. This means that believers can know God and be sure of his attributes. Second, Christians understand the nature of God to be triune (Father, Son and Holy Spirit), which is the only way that Jesus Christ, as the second person of the Trinity, could die on the cross to pay for our sins. If Jesus were not God himself, then his death on the cross would be meaningless. However, Muslims deny that Jesus died on the cross and they reject the belief in his resurrection from the dead. Only a triune God, defined as one essence and three persons, could become incarnate and still remain God of the universe, and yet this is the God that Muslims reject. For them, Jesus cannot be God nor can God be a Father, for he cannot have a son. Therefore, if Muslims reject God as the Father of Jesus, then Allah cannot be the same as the God of the Bible."

Is Allah of Islam the same as Yahweh of Christianity? | Columbia International University
Sorry I will take my seminary training over the writings of a fundie bot at a fundie university. My seminary is internationally known and respected and has different schools that educate people in a variety of denominations/faiths. More importantly unlike Columbia International University, we are not taught the erroneous belief that the bible is inerrant... it was written by man, inspired that is true. If it was inerrant, then it would have to be perfect, making it a god, and we would have to be perfect to know it is perfect, making us a god.

Old 05-03-2018, 09:47 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,595,236 times
Quote:
You really should work on your self esteem, it's sad that you refer to yourself as "Nobody" - which I can only assume you did given that you were the first to reply.

Meanwhile, the rest of us understand that regardless of who made the tweet (and Jonathan Chiat is a successful journalist and author fwiw), the issue is TRUMP'S own words. He is clueless and unaware and getting worse every day.

No one else knows the extent of Trump's misdeeds, as well as does Trump, himself. No wonder he's getting desperate and spouting such ridiculous claims. He still has enough comprehension to realize what we're all going to learn about him and he's grasping for anything to keep his base followers glued down tight.

Old 05-03-2018, 09:47 PM

7,982 posts, read 4,290,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
This is a man who has led his whole life as a terrible Christian, definitely closer to Satanic actions then Christian.

But now he is faking holiness to bond further with his Christian base as the investigation brings him closer to ruin.
And bunches of them are daft enough to believe him. Hell, they voted for him knowing what kind of trash he is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorman View Post
LMAO, a serial adulterer, liar and overall scumbag is now claiming credit for some kind of religious revival. It would we funny except his idiotic cult members buy this crap hook, line and sinker every damn time.
^This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Next maybe they'll learn wearing their little lapel pins DOES NOT make them patriots and claiming to be 'Christ-like' DOES NOT make them so.
^And certainly this!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies