Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Please select one
I am a Christian. I support separating children from their parents at the border 69 20.29%
I am a Christian. I do not support separating children from their parents at the border 80 23.53%
I am not a Christian. I support separating children from their parents at the border 59 17.35%
I am not a Christian. I do not support separating children from their parents at the border 132 38.82%
Voters: 340. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2018, 08:52 AM

2,768 posts, read 1,583,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKO View Post
Wake up. We're not talking about Mexicans, we're talking about central Americans running away from the ravages of MS-13 who is public enemy number one in the right wing playbook. That doesn't matter to you all though, they're brown so they go down. Shame on you for not even understanding the issue.
If that is true, then why don't these people seek asylum in Mexico as they traverse through towards the US border?

Under international norms, people escaping violence are supposed to seek asylum in the first safe state they get to, which is Mexico.

The vast majority of these people do not have legitimate claims for asylum.

Old 06-20-2018, 08:52 AM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
So this administration purposefully and with no apologies announces their change in policy to separate children and parents and it is the Democrats' fault because they are looking for a platform.

Maybe that would be a real thing if it was only Democrats that object to this policy.
Are you saying that in the past the Obama administration, as well as others-locked up children with CRIMINALS? In violation of international law regarding detention facilities?

At least be honest about your selective outrage. Previously criminal aliens with children were not incarcerated, they were released into the interior of the country, with an order to appear for a detention hearing. An order that had a near zero compliance rate. We are now actually locking up the adult criminals, not the children. Like any other incarcerated criminal they are placed with family members whenever possible. Again, as an alternative, would you prefer that they be locked up in detention with criminals? Or would you prefer that we simply ignore our border laws and just go back to letting criminals free to go wherever they desire in this country?

One thing I could support would be allowing those awaiting deportation hearings to go free after paying a significant bond. Perhaps $50k per person. Those that are doing so much crying and whining about enforcing the laws should have no issue lending funds to pay these bonds. The bonds of course being repaid when the detainees appear for court. You know-like we do with other criminals awaiting trial.

Old 06-20-2018, 08:53 AM

1,874 posts, read 818,253 times
These kids have it better in these detention centers than they did in the tent slums they came from.

Old 06-20-2018, 08:55 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,904,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobo1 View Post
These kids have it better in these detention centers than they did in the tent slums they came from.
Enjoy footing the inflated bill!
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/06/20/migr...es-report.html
Quote:
It costs $775 per person per night to keep the newly separated children of families who cross the U.S. border illegally in "tent cities," NBC News reported Wednesday, citing a Health and Human Services official.

That's more than twice as much as it would cost to keep the migrant children together with their families in certain detention centers, such as the U.S. Customs and Immigration Enforcement's Texas facility, NBC reported.

Old 06-20-2018, 08:59 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,011,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisan23 View Post
That is probably the most naive thing I’ve seen posted in this thread. With no power, no ability to organize, under constant threat of violence, and living in poverty how do you expect these people to do anything? They are simply trying to survive. When your basic needs aren’t being met, your capability to do more beyond trying to get those met is little to none. And that’s the case for pretty much all human beings.
Would you and the others here who decry the Zero Tolerance policy support the U.S. sending our military to those countries to remove their leadership AND installing a more democratic government so all these "poor immigrants" could then stay in their own countries?
If not, why not?

Old 06-20-2018, 08:59 AM

1,874 posts, read 818,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
i know right. a fully militarized wall will pay for itself.

Old 06-20-2018, 09:00 AM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmonburgher View Post
If that is true, then why don't these people seek asylum in Mexico as they traverse through towards the US border?

Under international norms, people escaping violence are supposed to seek asylum in the first safe state they get to, which is Mexico.

The vast majority of these people do not have legitimate claims for asylum.
Except-Mexico doesn't follow international law and accept them. Instead they provide passage to this country. I'm thinking we need to follow their lead and provide bus rides to the Canadian border, with a bottle of maple syrup for each of them.

Old 06-20-2018, 09:01 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,815,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Lay on the righteous indignation thick enough, long enough, and you will always get "womp, womp".
Problem is too many abandon their values to follow their professed leader. First they believe in this leader. Eventually they find a way to justify and defend the atrocities being done by their leader to save face for having "been duped." This is exactly why Jim Jones followers eventually came to the point that they did what they did.

Come back when Mexico pays for your wall!

Old 06-20-2018, 09:01 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,011,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Please see what conditions those children are being held in at this website! (photos and video)

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...n-border-video
One could say the same about any facility designed to hold large amounts of people against their will. Are you against ALL holding facilities?
What is YOUR (viable) solution other than whining and wringing your hands?

Old 06-20-2018, 09:03 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,815,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
One could say the same about any facility designed to hold large amounts of people against their will. Are you against ALL holding facilities?
What is YOUR (viable) solution other than whining and wringing your hands?
Slippery slope your values are on when you continue to justify what this administration is doing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies