Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2018, 05:27 PM

15,971 posts, read 9,394,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Are you joking? There is no comparison nor understanding in your ridiculous comparison.
Exercising your rights and understanding the importance thereof is no joke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2018, 05:34 PM

3,085 posts, read 1,553,388 times
Quote:
Ever heard of a state issued ID? Go ahead and inconvenience others by not being able to identify you if something happens to you or to be able to notify your family. Some people are so self-centered and absorbed.
Wheres the inconvenience to others? What, it might take the police a little extra time to figure out who you are? What a thing to worry about! IDs are not necessary. Go live your life. I ride my horse on the trails and I dont carry an ID or a cellphone. I havent for 30 yrs and most people I know dont either. People are just too afraid of imagined shadows.

Old 05-10-2018, 05:51 AM

10,243 posts, read 6,333,789 times
Quote:
Ever heard of a state issued ID? Go ahead and inconvenience others by not being able to identify you if something happens to you or to be able to notify your family. Some people are so self-centered and absorbed.
I'm almost 70 and retired. They didn't have state issued ID 30+ years ago. I learned to drive when my kids were born and now have a license but as I said before, if I am going for a walk around my neighborhood, I am not going to carry a purse with my license in it.

Old 05-10-2018, 07:42 AM

3,698 posts, read 1,366,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
I'm almost 70 and retired. They didn't have state issued ID 30+ years ago. I learned to drive when my kids were born and now have a license but as I said before, if I am going for a walk around my neighborhood, I am not going to carry a purse with my license in it.
Like its such a burden to carry a 2.5x4" card with you! What if you have a stroke or heart attack out on that walk? You might be in the hospital unconscious for days before they figured out who you were. Not only would it make your care more difficult because they dont have your medical history, but your loved ones would be worried sick wondering what happened to you.

Old 05-10-2018, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Williepaws View Post
Wheres the inconvenience to others? What, it might take the police a little extra time to figure out who you are? What a thing to worry about! IDs are not necessary. Go live your life. I ride my horse on the trails and I dont carry an ID or a cellphone. I havent for 30 yrs and most people I know dont either. People are just too afraid of imagined shadows.
Imagined shadows paralyzed Christopher Reeve.
A lot of things can happen while riding a horse on a trail. Should you be thrown and unable to walk I think you would really appreciate the ability to call for help. And to locate your horse before it bolted onto a highway and got hit by a car.
When I was in the Navy deployed to NAS Fallon NV we had a guy in our squadron who boasted he could do anything better than anyone else. He was from NYC and had never ridden a horse. They took him to the rental stable on base and the first thing he did was try and get on on the wrong side. Uh oh. When he did get on one of the guys slapped the horse on his ass and that was it.
The horse ran full speed, him screaming the whole time, to where the trail crossed I-80 at precisely the time an Olds Cutlass was travelling an estimated 85mph.
The car was totalled, the driver was hospitalized with life threatening injuries and permanently disfigured after facial reconstruction surgeries.
The horse who went into the car crushing the windshield, had to be destroyed.
The hapless rider spent months in the hospital, nearly lost his leg, never returned to duty.
The guys who put him up to it and bolted the horse got a couple months in the brig each, fined thousands of dollars and transferred out of the squadron.
This really happened. I was in fighter squadron 21 this was the early 80s.
I think if your horse got loose you would not want to be helpless on the ground unable to contact anyone.

Old 05-10-2018, 08:14 AM

63,001 posts, read 29,210,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNative34 View Post
Exercising your rights and understanding the importance thereof is no joke.
It was your comparison that was a joke. Nice deflection there.

Old 05-10-2018, 08:17 AM

63,001 posts, read 29,210,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post

So, there are state issued ID's available to you now so why not get one? You need a purse to carry a small card? You don't have any pockets?

Old 05-10-2018, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeldor View Post
Liberty>safety.
Yeah walking around with no way for anyone to identify you if you fell unconscious or dead is such a statement of freedom.
People like me and millions of others volunteered to join the military and defend liberty and freedom and the interests of US corporations around the world. (lol I am a realist)
In the military we all wore dog tags. In my job (carrier flight deck) we laced them into our boots because if you get sucked into an intake you go in head first. Also I worked on aircraft radar which has 27kv circuits, they dont mix well with metal tags on metal chains on your neck.
Anyway I never heard anyone complain about their liberty being threatened over it.
But then the military tends to break that kind of stupid **** out of you in boot camp.
Edit before someone catches it: except for thinking its a good idea to put a guy on a horse and bolt it for a prank.

Old 05-10-2018, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phinneas j. whoopee View Post
A lot of things can happen while riding a horse on a trail. Should you be thrown and unable to walk I think you would really appreciate the ability to call for help. And to locate your horse before it bolted onto a highway and got hit by a car.
When I was in the Navy deployed to NAS Fallon NV we had a guy in our squadron who boasted he could do anything better than anyone else. He was from NYC and had never ridden a horse. They took him to the rental stable on base and the first thing he did was try and get on on the wrong side. Uh oh. When he did get on one of the guys slapped the horse on his ass and that was it.
The horse ran full speed, him screaming the whole time, to where the trail crossed I-80 at precisely the time an Olds Cutlass was travelling an estimated 85mph.
The car was totalled, the driver was hospitalized with life threatening injuries and permanently disfigured after facial reconstruction surgeries.
The hapless rider spent months in the hospital, nearly lost his leg, never returned to duty.
The guys who put him up to it and bolted the horse got a couple months in the brig each, fined thousands of dollars and transferred out of the squadron.
I think if your horse got loose you would not want to be helpless on the ground unable to contact anyone.
Did you ever hear of training? Its amazing how people seem to think dogs and horses cant be trained.

Old 05-10-2018, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phinneas j. whoopee View Post
Not to mention Christopher Reeve wasnt out hacking in the woods. He was jumping fences at the time he came off. Possibly overhorsed too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies