Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2018, 04:46 AM

3,698 posts, read 1,373,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
I was in the Navy, we never wore dog tags except in boot camp which they were substituted for not carrying ID cards, and had a medical tag if needed. I also never carried my ID nor ID of any kind often when off base.

When you are working with/around live electric, you do not have metal of any kind on you, no one can inside the rubber room.

Some of you all are very paranoid people, lol.
I dont know what you did in the navy. I worked on the flight deck during day and night ops and everyone in my shop had their tags laced in their boots and you would be an irresponsible ass if you didnt.
Recall the film on the forrestal disaster we were shown in boot camp. If you were involved in such an event how would they know if that charred body was you or if you were blown.overboard hoping they knew you were missing?
It was my experience in the military that anyone who worked in a position where they could meet a grisly death welcomed the idea of them being easily identified should that happen. You owed it to next of kin and the safety of others you worked with.
Again not sure what you did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2018, 04:54 AM

28,163 posts, read 25,384,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phinneas j. whoopee View Post
I dont know what you did in the navy. I worked on the flight deck during day and night ops and everyone in my shop had their tags laced in their boots and you would be an irresponsible ass if you didnt.
Recall the film on the forrestal disaster we were shown in boot camp. If you were involved in such an event how would they know if that charred body was you or if you were blown.overboard hoping they knew you were missing?
It was my experience in the military that anyone who worked in a position where they could meet a grisly death welcomed the idea of them being easily identified should that happen. You owed it to next of kin and the safety of others you worked with.
I can tell this issue truly bothers you. May I suggest you wear your dog tags and ID 24/7/365? Even in the shower. Might slip and hit your head when you're home alone. However would EMS know who you were then?

Anyway, you make sure you have your papers on you at all times. Later today when I go for my bike ride, I'll leave my wallet at home. Then we can both be happy. Sound good?

Old 05-11-2018, 06:07 AM

59,434 posts, read 27,586,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I’ve never heard of it, but this cop in the linked video invokes such a law when stopping this teen who is jogging.

He says that the kid fits the description of a robber, but then calls in to get a description from dispatch AFTER detaining the kid.

Back to the ID issue...this happened in Texas. My home state has no such law. Is there an ID law in your state?

As usual you are too lazy to do your own research and come on here to get what is so easily found.

Although carrying ID is usually not required, many states have ID laws that require individuals to disclose their name to officers who have reasonable suspicion of criminal activity. This can be done by telling the officer your name without having to carry ID.
In the US, under what situations are you legally required to carry ...

https://www.quora.com/In-the-US-unde...equired-to-car...

Here you go, lazy bones!

Old 05-11-2018, 09:14 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,628,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
As usual you are too lazy to do your own research and come on here to get what is so easily found.

Although carrying ID is usually not required, many states have ID laws that require individuals to disclose their name to officers who have reasonable suspicion of criminal activity. This can be done by telling the officer your name without having to carry ID.
In the US, under what situations are you legally required to carry ...

https://www.quora.com/In-the-US-unde...equired-to-car...

Here you go, lazy bones!
Then there's, Show me your Papers Law, Texas

'Show Me Your Papers' Laws and American Cultural Values

Our freedoms are a vote and a pen stroke away from disappearing; being taken away, one at a time.

Old 05-11-2018, 09:20 AM

31,846 posts, read 17,688,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
Then there's, Show me your Papers Law, Texas

'Show Me Your Papers' Laws and American Cultural Values

Our freedoms are a vote and a pen stroke away from disappearing; being taken away, one at a time.

Isn't that the truth? We've lost many civil liberties over the past fifteen plus years, and when you say that people look at you like Bambi caught in the headlights.

Old 05-11-2018, 09:34 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,628,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Isn't that the truth? We've lost many civil liberties over the past fifteen plus years, and when you say that people look at you like Bambi caught in the headlights.
I'm just as bad, as I don't pay attention to local civics like I should. Even knowing that it doesn't take much for a state idea, law, to go from state to federal with the right person to take it there, I'm still not involved as I should be.

No knock warrants, they happen to the other guy. Not me ... why worry about the other guy's rights ... when I'm free to come and go as I please.

That is most unfortunate that that is the most common consensus among many citizens ... a lot happens, while we sleep.

Old 05-11-2018, 10:36 AM

63,217 posts, read 29,343,301 times
Geez, I don't know what the big deal is carrying your ID with you when you are not at home. Such whiney cry babies! It may not be the law but it does make sense. Some even claim a sense of freedom not carrying it. WTH? Only if I weren't wearing any underwear would I feel such a euphoric sense of freedom, lol.

Old 05-11-2018, 10:42 AM

63,217 posts, read 29,343,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I can tell this issue truly bothers you. May I suggest you wear your dog tags and ID 24/7/365? Even in the shower. Might slip and hit your head when you're home alone. However would EMS know who you were then?

Anyway, you make sure you have your papers on you at all times. Later today when I go for my bike ride, I'll leave my wallet at home. Then we can both be happy. Sound good?

Oh, for God's sake just when we heard the lamest arguments not to have an ID on you this takes the cake! If you're at home you most likely will have a wallet nearby with your ID in it. How are you even going to call the EMS if you're knocked out from a fall? If you do call them they will ask who you are before they come and get you.

Old 05-11-2018, 10:48 AM

13,682 posts, read 20,835,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Oh, for God's sake just when we heard the lamest arguments not to have an ID on you this takes the cake! If you're at home you most likely will have a wallet nearby with your ID in it. How are you even going to call the EMS if you're knocked out from a fall? If you do call them they will ask who you are before they come and get you.

LOL!

I guess the government issues all those IDs for a reason. Who woulda thunk it.

I reckon a good many of those who oppose carrying ID for fear of Grand Moff Tarkin knowing who they are have no problem with a government that runs their lives via a vast bureaucracy armed with all kinds of arcane laws.

Old 05-11-2018, 11:00 AM

9,742 posts, read 4,514,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phinneas j. whoopee View Post
I was an ET in the navy. They taught us not to wear any metal when working on equipment. They showed us a movie where 110 volt AC was the biggest killer on ship.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies