Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2018, 08:15 AM

4,663 posts, read 4,552,412 times

Advertisements

I grew up supporting Northeast/Moderate/"Rockefeller" Republicanism, so I found this video to be a pretty interesting take on why the party shifted more and more to the right, and a bittersweet reminder of a time when there was a place for moderates in the GOP.

https://youtu.be/TImO_RquoW8

Quote:
“Read my lips: No. New. Taxes.”

The crowd roared in approval, but their cheers were short-lived. When Bush took over the Oval Office, he inherited the consequences of his predecessor Ronald Reagan’s supply-side or “trickle down” economics: massive budget deficits. And in 1990, Bush broke his promise and raised taxes.

Bush was a traditional “country club” Republican, whose relatively moderate economic and social beliefs contrasted with more right-wing conservatives who had supported Reagan. When Bush lost to Bill Clinton in 1992, Reaganites abandoned a moderate, bipartisan approach to politics, and the Republican Party has moved further to the right ever since.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2018, 08:28 AM

13,694 posts, read 9,016,074 times
I remember watching that speech.

Of course, Mr. Bush ended up doing what he thought was best for the country. We had a 200 billion dollar budget deficit, and a Congress that could not agree on how to address it. Mr. Bush finally accepted a compromise with the Democrats that included tax hikes on various items, including 'luxury' taxes on yachts and such.

I thought it courageous to do what he thought was best for the country. I voted for him in 1992. I believe that Mr. Clinton benefited from the action (not by being elected, but not facing an even larger deficit).

Old 05-09-2018, 08:52 AM

4,663 posts, read 4,552,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
I remember watching that speech.

Of course, Mr. Bush ended up doing what he thought was best for the country. We had a 200 billion dollar budget deficit, and a Congress that could not agree on how to address it. Mr. Bush finally accepted a compromise with the Democrats that included tax hikes on various items, including 'luxury' taxes on yachts and such.

I thought it courageous to do what he thought was best for the country. I voted for him in 1992. I believe that Mr. Clinton benefited from the action (not by being elected, but not facing an even larger deficit).
I like politicians (and people in general) who are more pragmatic and willing to adjust their approach based on evidence. Too many people are willing to double down on their errors.

The video also makes me wonder what would have happened if Bush Sr. had defeated Clinton. I don't attribute that much of the economic boost to Clinton, as I think much of it was inevitable with the rise of the Internet. How different would the GOP be today if Bush Sr had won?

Old 05-09-2018, 11:23 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,878,633 times
hahaha Since when did Reagan actually impliment conservative polices once he assumed office? Raising spending isn't less government. Keeping our military involved in the Middle East isn't less government. Raising taxes which happened many times during the Reagan administration isn't less government. Reagan was nothing more than a con artist.

Old 05-09-2018, 11:41 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,600,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
hahaha Since when did Reagan actually impliment conservative polices once he assumed office? Raising spending isn't less government. Keeping our military involved in the Middle East isn't less government. Raising taxes which happened many times during the Reagan administration isn't less government. Reagan was nothing more than a con artist.
Heresy in today's GOP who pretends Reagan was to the right of the Tea Party/ Freedom Caucus members.

Old 05-09-2018, 02:13 PM

776 posts, read 395,059 times
Two years after Clinton defeated HW Bush, the Gingrich-lead "Republican Revolution of 1994" swept both houses of Congress, wiping out most of the "Blue Dog" (Manchin-type) Democrats, Weld/Pataki type Republicans, and Republicans who were willing to look at bills written by people with a D next to their name, and what is today known as "the Tea Party" took control of Congress.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies