Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2018, 01:42 PM

89,029 posts, read 44,853,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Your research must be flawed, because in my little town outside of Philadelphia, there is a Planned Parenthood office, but no other federally funded family planning provider within 10 miles.
For my location, a small east coast town, there are 7 Public Health Department Family Planning Clinics within 25 miles and not even one PP clinic.

You see, we have a low minority population percentage in and around here, and as everyone (especially minorities) knows, PP targets minorities for abortion:

http://www.protectingblacklife.org/p...ets/index.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2018, 01:44 PM

13,962 posts, read 5,628,343 times
Quote:
Taxpayers already do not support abortions. It is illegal for federal money to pay for abortions.
Yes they do.

The Hyde Amendment allows for federal funds to pay for abortions "if the pregnancy is the result of an act of rape or incest; or in the case where a woman suffers from a physical disorder, physical injury, or physical illness, including a life-endangering physical condition caused by or arising from the pregnancy itself, that would, as certified by a physician, place the woman in danger of death unless an abortion is performed."

Medicaid and Medicare both pay for abortions from federal funds, given how loosely abortion providers can define "physical disorder/injury."

Under state and federal law, the taxpayers do indeed fund abortions directly, and via the tax laws, support them indirectly.
Quote:
Women and men who rely on Planned Parenthood for routine medical care via Medicaid, and people who rely on Planned Parenthood for family planning will lose out.
Why? Trump cannot change the Medicaid rules without Congress, and Title X only applies to 15% of Planed Parenthood's funding, which he isn't taking away, just ensuring is not used to provide abortions. According to Planned Parenthood, they don't use any money for abortions, so technically, they aren't losing anything.
Quote:
There are no federal taxpayer funded abortions outside of those allowed by the Hyde Amendment, and even then only for women eligible for Medicaid.
And yet above, you state unequivocally that it is illegal for federal money to fund abortions, and you echo my own rebuttal by admitting that oh yeah, Medicaid, Medicare, etc do in fact use federal funds for abortions.

Old 05-21-2018, 04:32 PM

10,236 posts, read 6,324,092 times
I had a childhood friend who was raped at 11 in her own building in her Catholic School uniform. She tried to defend herself from the rapist and was beaten to a pulp and had to be hospitalized.

Fortunately, she was given the "Morning After" equivalent Pill even back in the early 60's in a non-sectarian hospital. My friend suffered from mental anguish for many years afterwards. No man, including her Dad, could come near her and show any kind of affection to her.

All her Dad wanted to do was find her rapist and rip him limb from limb. Just try to imagine if my friend was forced to bear a rapist baby? I asked her once. She told me, when she was a teenager, that she would have committed suicide.

Do you seriously expect that she, and her parents, would have welcomed their 11 year old having a rapist baby? Watching her pregnancy getting bigger and bigger. Or maybe her parents could have sent her away to a home for "unwed mothers"?

Difficult enough for adult women, but a CHILD herself?

Old 05-25-2018, 12:43 AM

23,654 posts, read 17,517,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
I had a childhood friend who was raped at 11 in her own building in her Catholic School uniform. She tried to defend herself from the rapist and was beaten to a pulp and had to be hospitalized.

Fortunately, she was given the "Morning After" equivalent Pill even back in the early 60's in a non-sectarian hospital. My friend suffered from mental anguish for many years afterwards. No man, including her Dad, could come near her and show any kind of affection to her.

All her Dad wanted to do was find her rapist and rip him limb from limb. Just try to imagine if my friend was forced to bear a rapist baby? I asked her once. She told me, when she was a teenager, that she would have committed suicide.

Do you seriously expect that she, and her parents, would have welcomed their 11 year old having a rapist baby? Watching her pregnancy getting bigger and bigger. Or maybe her parents could have sent her away to a home for "unwed mothers"?

In her case no one, even the church, would have a problem with the morning after pill. There was no baby that it could have killed. She was a virgin so no embryo would have been expelled. The pill just stopped her uterus from allowing anything to attach to it.

Old 05-25-2018, 12:46 AM

23,654 posts, read 17,517,565 times
Sidewalk Advocates for Life---

CLOSED: The amazing story of the closing of Hillcrest Women's Abortion Center in Harrisburg, PA!

Ever prayed and worked so hard for something, but wondered if it would really happen?

The pro-life community of Harrisburg, PA wondered, too. The local abortion facility, Hillcrest, had been there for generations, taking the lives of 150,000+ innocent children while racking up an astonishing 44 pages of health and safety violations. They wondered if their prayers would be answered in their lifetime to witness the facility close.

Becky of Undefeated Courage -- also the Director of Rachel's Vineyard for Central PA -- decided to bring Sidewalk Advocates for Life to their community to help bring more structure to their loving outreach to abortion-minded women at the facility. Starting in the Fall of 2014, Becky and her team of Sidewalk Advocates -- alongside the prayers of Kathy and 40 Days for Life-Harrisburg and countless others -- built almost a constant presence at the facility...
...and in the Fall of 2017, they received the news that their prayers had been answered!! To God be the Glory!!

Please keep in your prayers all those who lost preborn children at this facility -- we know God can heal them and bring them peace and freedom! Please also continue to pray for Becky and her team as they now cover the next two nearest facilities in prayer and peaceful outreach!

Just a reminder that if God is calling you to reach out to mothers-in-need at your local abortion facility, we'd love to serve you! Applications to bring Sidewalk Advocates for Life to your community are open at sidewalkadvocates.org/apply!

"Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up." -- Galatians 6:9

sidewalkadvocates.org/apply!

Abby Johnson---

This is such a beautiful video. I just had to share it with all of you.

When I walked in to have my first abortion, I was alone. My boyfriend dropped me off on the curb and I walked in by myself. There was no one on the sidewalk. It was so quiet. I have always wished that someone would have been out there for me and my baby. It could have made a life and death difference for my child

Sidewalk Advocates for Life is the BEST program out there on the sidewalk. They train and equip volunteer sidewalk advocates how to effectively communicate with women, men and abortion workers who are walking into abortion facilities. If you have never been out to pray in front of an abortion facility, I encourage you to muster up the courage and go. There is something really haunting about watching a woman walk in to have an abortion (sometimes visibly pregnant) and walk out knowing that the innocent life of her child has been extinguished. Is it hard to be there? Yes. But if not us, then who?

One more thing...ATTWN has had two abortion workers leave this now closed facility. Woohoo!

Old 05-25-2018, 01:18 AM

37,110 posts, read 41,284,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
In her case no one, even the church, would have a problem with the morning after pill. There was no baby that it could have killed. She was a virgin so no embryo would have been expelled. The pill just stopped her uterus from allowing anything to attach to it.
Care to explain what you are saying here?

I hate to break it to you, but you can lose your virginity and get pregnant with the same act of intercourse.

Old 05-25-2018, 06:56 AM

13,962 posts, read 5,628,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post

Nobody is suggesting she should lose her right to choose. The federal government not giving one of many abortion providers a small percentage of their operating income for one specific thing is not equivalent to people losing their rights.

Old 05-25-2018, 09:34 AM

37,110 posts, read 41,284,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Nobody is suggesting she should lose her right to choose. The federal government not giving one of many abortion providers a small percentage of their operating income for one specific thing is not equivalent to people losing their rights.
A right that cannot be utilized is a right lost.

The object is to reduce the availability of abortion, with a goal of fewer abortions.

Reducing access to contraception by reducing funding for it is not going to reduce the number of abortions. Quite the contrary.

Old 05-25-2018, 09:34 AM

46,963 posts, read 26,005,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
What would change if PP disappeared? Fewer abortions. That's it.
You lie.

Old 05-25-2018, 09:36 AM

89,029 posts, read 44,853,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
A right that cannot be utilized is a right lost.
Why wouldn't it be able to be utilized? Are you suggesting that abortion supporters won't voluntarily fund their cause?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies