Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2018, 07:26 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,956,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
This People Magazine article epitomizes the incredibly low threshold for #metoo outrage.

A 25-year-old professional journalist, yet she seems to believe she wasn't old enough to handle flirtation from a grown man. Are millennials really so infantilized that they see themselves as children at 25?

Freeman, after asking and receiving permission to make an off color comment, told her his magic trick would make her clothes disappear.

So it was fine at the time but now...

If this is #metoo, how can it have a shred of credibility?
There was a time when comments like that were viewed as very awkward flirting, nothing more than some old dude completely missing the mark. Women would even feel sorry for men who missed the mark so badly, embarrassed that the man didn't know better.

I think it's a mistake to twist a comment from a elderly man, one who was given the green light to say whatever he wanted, into sexual harassment. He probably walked away from the silly question about magic tricks and never thought about the question, or the 25 year old reporter, again. Yet today this woman wants this response to be viewed as sexual assault. She wants more attention from him than he ever meant to give her.

Has the pendulum shifted such that reporters who claim sexual harassment from big name movie stars are given more fame than they would otherwise have?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2018, 07:43 PM

482 posts, read 242,453 times
What is the deal with this "metoo" thing? I saw it the other day with a pound symbol in front of it. I read it as "pound me too."

Surely, somebody else has noticed this? I literally can't stop laughing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFlCD5CYAcU

Old 05-25-2018, 08:11 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,761,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
There was a time when comments like that were viewed as very awkward flirting, nothing more than some old dude completely missing the mark. Women would even feel sorry for men who missed the mark so badly, embarrassed that the man didn't know better.
And it wasn't even that awkward or off target. The reporter admits that she was flattered and thought it was "cool" that Freeman found her attractive.

Old 05-25-2018, 08:23 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,956,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
And it wasn't even that awkward or off target. The reporter admits that she was flattered and thought it was "cool" that Freeman found her attractive.
Exactly! It is only years later that she seems to have found an opportunity for fame by twisting her perception of his comment as being a sexual assault. It's borderline baiting to tell a famous old man that he can say whatever he wants, and then turn around and say that he can't say whatever he wants without being targeted as a sex offender.

I read that he also asked a woman to twirl in a skirt, and that is also now interpreted as a sexual assault. If the woman was so offended, why did she twirl, or maybe she didn't twirl and no harm is done. It's very normal for men to ask beautiful women to twirl in a beautiful dress with a full skirt, and women like doing it. Audrey Hepburn, and other women of his time, would not have a problem with that request.

It's very old fashioned for men to say things like that, but is it sexual assault? Do 60 year old women view it as sexual assault, or is this something that very young women view as sexual assault. Why don't they view it as some crazy old dude with old fashioned ideas and set him straight? Women are outspoken enough today to set old men straight in the moment, aren't they?

Old 05-25-2018, 08:23 PM

18,022 posts, read 27,468,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
He also supposedly had a sexual relationship with his step granddaughter, so it's likely
par for him.

Ewe. I hate when that happens.

I don't believe this though.

Morgan Freeman is God.

Old 05-25-2018, 08:35 PM

21,479 posts, read 10,579,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spider99 View Post
What is the deal with this "metoo" thing? I saw it the other day with a pound symbol in front of it. I read it as "pound me too."

Surely, somebody else has noticed this? I literally can't stop laughing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFlCD5CYAcU
Ha! That’s what my husband has been calling it for weeks now. He’ll appreciate that he’s not the only one.

Old 05-25-2018, 09:05 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,831,521 times
He's always been a dirty old man.

Old 05-26-2018, 06:06 AM

24,417 posts, read 23,070,474 times
To make it in Hollywood today you have to be a little warped. And if you're not really warped you'll never become A list or get to the top.

Old 05-26-2018, 06:20 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,522,211 times
Bullies and thugs. And obviously not the only Democrat left special interest group that has distinguished itself in this manner. Not by any means.

There is a clear pattern and a solid trend that has developed on this point, in fact.

Old 05-26-2018, 06:26 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,761,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
He's always been a dirty old man.
Good for him. There's not a damn thing wrong with a 75-year-old being sexually interested in a 25-year-old. Kudos to Freeman if he still has the vim and vigor to pursue young women.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies