Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2018, 09:01 AM

352 posts, read 324,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
No, the real question is why do you feel the free expression of thought/speech is a problem to begin with?

Then the other important question would be, what would you do if you had ability to "fix the problem"?

`
It's not free expression or thought/speech I have a problem with. It's abhorrent racist, sexist and bigoted speech FLOODING comment sections where there literally are thousands of disgusting racist comments on articles that have nothing to do with politics. The article that sent me here was one about a single mother who graduated from Harvard Law, an article that should have few comments aside from the "you go girl!" types. But sure enough because the young woman is black, there are thousands of racist comments. THAT IS A PROBLEM AND IF YOU DON'T THINK IT IS, YOU ARE OBVIOUSLY A RACIST TOO. I went to an article about a white woman who murdered her child and lied about a kidnapping and left her baby in a diaper box in a field somewhere, and there were far fewer comments and most of them were appropriate like "so sad to see a child suffer like that"...few (if any) were commenting on her race or her background.

Plus, I just want to have a nerdy discussion about Star Wars without a million trolls jumping in to complain about the black stormtrooper, the female Jedi or the fact that a white male is the villain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2018, 09:03 AM

73,050 posts, read 62,670,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
I have a theory that could explain some of the trash posts there. It's just dumbasses being dumbasses trying to get a rise out of people. I'm not at all saying it's right but take a look at some of the things people post, especially younger folk with no filter and an unrefined sense of humor. This may explain 10% of it. The rest, just dumb people being dumb.
Thing is, I've dealt with people who would spout racial stuff like that. Part of me thinks many persons post stuff online because they don't have the guts to say it to someone's face. However, I've dealt with people who said stupid things to my face. This makes me wonder how many persons are really that stupid, that bigoted in real life based on what I see on the forums.

Why Yahoo! is a major avenue for this stuff, I don't know.

Old 05-31-2018, 09:04 AM

2,924 posts, read 1,589,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HedgeYourInvestments View Post
Seven years ago this article was published, and it has gotten 100000x worse since. I personally give Yahoo credit for electing Trump and ushering in this new wave of open racism and sexism. The comment sections there are a nightmare now, overwhelmed with hate-filled trolls who will go ballistic on any article about someone of color or a female liberal.

The real question is...why? Why is it so bad at Yahoo? What can Yahoo do to fix the problem?
This is interesting. I'd have thought that people would have blamed Breitbart, not Yahoo. Yahoo, however, seems to be written by knuckleheads too (unlike Breitbart).

Old 05-31-2018, 09:08 AM

45,444 posts, read 60,653,733 times
Quote:
It's not free expression or thought/speech I have a problem with. It's abhorrent racist, sexist and bigoted speech FLOODING comment sections where there literally are thousands of disgusting racist comments on articles that have nothing to do with politics. The article that sent me here was one about a single mother who graduated from Harvard Law, an article that should have few comments aside from the "you go girl!" types. But sure enough because the young woman is black, there are thousands of racist comments. THAT IS A PROBLEM AND IF YOU DON'T THINK IT IS, YOU ARE OBVIOUSLY A RACIST TOO. I went to an article about a white woman who murdered her child and lied about a kidnapping and left her baby in a diaper box in a field somewhere, and there were far fewer comments and most of them were appropriate like "so sad to see a child suffer like that"...few (if any) were commenting on her race or her background.

Plus, I just want to have a nerdy discussion about Star Wars without a million trolls jumping in to complain about the black stormtrooper, the female Jedi or the fact that a white male is the villain.
So you want to censor speech, and apparently thought, which you personally find abhorrent?

I find that abhorrent.

Old 05-31-2018, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Why do you bother going to Yahoo if free speech bothers you so much?

There is no way Yahoo can moderate all the comments they receive on all their articles. Especially the ones YOU consider hate speech.

Only think I use Yahoo for is their Financial page and never ever post an opinion.
It's not what I consider hate speech. It IS hate speech.

Is this not hate speech?
"LOL What do blacks know about accountability? Accountability is responsibility and blacks will have none of that. They will abandon their children, riot in the streets, and murder one another at will. They are big on their rights not so much on responsibilities."

That's not racist? I would never consider posting something like that because I'm not a racist troll. Would you post something like that?

Old 05-31-2018, 09:09 AM

5,129 posts, read 2,600,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golgi1 View Post
And I've been bullied by a large group of feminist women for daring to be in the same major as them. Th fact that we have those people in our society bothers me.

In the end, people are tribal. Including black, latino, and other nationalists masquerading as "anti-racists". Lamenting where one of these groups goes to discuss things is pointing out the splinter in their eye while missing the log in the Left's.

its the whole "anti fascists" are actually todays "fascists"

Quote:
It's not what I consider hate speech. It IS hate speech.
what exactly is hate speech? anything you/the left disagrees with?

Old 05-31-2018, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
So you want to censor speech, and apparently thought, which you personally find abhorrent?

I find that abhorrent.
I do not want to censor speech. I want to comprehend WHY SO MANY TROLLS FLOOD YAHOO WITH HATE SPEECH!!!

Plus, how about these trolls say this stuff in a real open forum...you know, a place where a black person can hear them and confront them for their words...oh that's right, they're just trolls who hide behind a screen acting tough.

How is this such a difficult concept?

Why is it wrong to be against hate speech? Oh yeah, that's because you support the hate speech because you agree with it. You clearly believe in the same things that the racist trolls say, so you don't see it as an issue.

Old 05-31-2018, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleh View Post
its the whole "anti fascists" are actually todays "fascists"

what exactly is hate speech? anything you/the left disagrees with?

I am not a SJW or a PC Police. I am not talking about the nonsense that the left goes all batty over on the daily. I am talking about honest-to-goodness HATE SPEECH. Openly racist things. Talking points directly from the KKK. Nazi-supporting statements. A flood of "affirmative action" comments on any article about a successful black person. That's hate speech. And I am not saying it should be banned or censored, I'm questioning why Yahoo is such a breeding ground for it. No other major neutral-leaning website has even close to the same kind of problem. It'll literally be thousands of racist and disgusting sexists (saying nasty things about women in articles, really filthy things that I am not going to repeat) flooding the comment sections of articles. I see it as a problem that there are so many people who are willing to post such things on the internet. That's the issue here. This has nothing to do with my politics (again, I am not a SJW or PC Police type, and I am not on board with the #metoo movement) this has to do with the devolution of this country into a bastion of hate speech, trolling and sexism.

Old 05-31-2018, 09:23 AM

45,444 posts, read 60,653,733 times
Quote:
I do not want to censor speech. I want to comprehend WHY SO MANY TROLLS FLOOD YAHOO WITH HATE SPEECH!!!

Plus, how about these trolls say this stuff in a real open forum...you know, a place where a black person can hear them and confront them for their words...oh that's right, they're just trolls who hide behind a screen acting tough.

How is this such a difficult concept?

Why is it wrong to be against hate speech? Oh yeah, that's because you support the hate speech because you agree with it. You clearly believe in the same things that the racist trolls say, so you don't see it as an issue.

And there you go. You know nothing about me except I asked you a question and you go to Full Slander and Unfounded Accusation Mode immediately.

You just may be the problem and no one else. You label anything with which you disagree "hate speech".

As for Yahoo, I rarely look at the comments but I have looked at the ones about Star Wars and, while I don't wish to call you a liar, I will say that I didn't see the ones you referenced.

Old 05-31-2018, 09:25 AM

4,418 posts, read 2,949,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Those comments are more sad than funny. There are people out in the real world who think this way. It reminds me of how sad the world really is. It also reminds me of some persons I dealt with in high school. It reminds me of kids who did call me the "N" word, kids who did say things like "porch monkey".

And your comment about free speech without repercussions, I thought about this. Do you want to make comments that are bigoted and racist? And by racist, I'm talking about comments that are constantly incendiary and hateful towards other groups.
Most of the posters aren't really as racist as you think based on the comments. Part of it is to be funny and part of is it lashing out due to feeling suppressed and shamed as a white person, so they go over the top with comments. I don't see why it matters anyways. It is peoples thoughts being put into words. Censoring their words wont' change their thoughts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies