Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2018, 09:02 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,896,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
You are mistaken.
Actually not really. The same insane and unreasonable fault finding was done by the right to Obama.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2018, 09:05 PM

27,652 posts, read 28,750,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Does being America First include becoming an isolationist nation that no one ever trades with? Because that will cost millions of jobs. The rest of the world can move on without us. And frankly, there's no reason I can think of that they shouldn't. America cannot be trusted. It cannot be taken as a serious player on the global stage. If anything, it's become a dangerous, near-rogue nation that threatens global stability. If other nations were smart, they would simply let America go.
Actually, all of this tariff talk comes off as very theoretical to me.

The bottom line is that the U.S. economy is doing well, jobs are increasing, unemployment is at an 18-year low and the stock market is going higher. Everything else is just noise.

Old 06-09-2018, 09:05 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,506,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot N Annie View Post
Folks on the left are so blinded by their disappointment that their anointed one lost an election that was rigged in her favor, that they haven't figured out the President Trump always manages to control the dialogue. He doesn't get played, he is the player.
Simple question. Is Trump a isolationist or a globalist?

On the one hand he instituted trade tariffs to protect the steel industries (and unions) but then turns around and says he wants pure free trade (no tariffs, no subsidies no nothing).

If true then U.S. steel is dead.

Now here is the question. What economic theory do you ascribe to?

Old 06-09-2018, 09:07 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,896,951 times
I don't know what's in the statement, but if it isn't in our best interest I wouldn't endorse it either. Haven't we had enough of our leaders selling us out?

Old 06-09-2018, 09:10 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,100,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Actually, all of this tariff talk sounds very theoretical to me.

All I care is that the U.S. economy is doing well, unemployment is low and the stock market is going higher.
No doubt, but if you think that is going to last under all this uncertainty and chaos, I have a bridge to sell you. The world is too connected now for the US to go it alone, and the people who think it can are living in an alternate reality. Sooner or later, the rest of the world is going to turn its back on us, and when they do, we will have only our ignorance and pompous nationalism to blame.

Old 06-09-2018, 09:14 PM

8,196 posts, read 2,853,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
Whatever helps you sleep at night, lol.
Knowing that we have a president who loves our country and looks after America's interests helps me sleep at night. Thanks for your concern.

Old 06-09-2018, 09:14 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,757,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Kinda cowardly to not do it to his face.

Agreed. Like Trump said, Justin was meek and mild face-to-face, then found some courage once Trump was on the plane. Justin couldn't say any of that stuff top his face. No problem, Trump just tweeted out he's looking at 25% import on car imports now. Coincidentally (ahem), Trump met with Abe of Japan all week. Watch Japan agree to new trade deals and agree to move production of some of their auto manufacturing to the U.S. Is there any reason for Japan to keep their plants open in Canada, if they have to pay a tariff to import to the U.S.? No. Instead they'll close those plants and expand in the U.S. All because Justin was greedy and refused to even discuss closing the loophole in NAFTA that's crushed our manufacturing and middle class.

Old 06-09-2018, 09:15 PM

30,207 posts, read 11,863,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Unlike Trump, there are highly educated people in this country, who do this for a living, and almost all of them agree his "tariff and hard line" approach is going to bite us in the behind. Even pig farmers in the mid west are starting to see Mexico stopping buying pork from us, and even his most staunch supporters there are worried about their futures. The only upside will be that pork will be REALLY cheap for us US consumers.
The doom and gloom. I remember when Trump was going at Kim. He was going to cause WW3 and all the talk then from the left. Now look. I have no idea if he got lucky or somehow he figured out what would work with Kim but it is what it is and the left was totally off base with the scare mongering.

My take on this and I could be wrong is Trump doing his shock and awe approach on trade. Like with Kim. He went into full barrel attack mode and scared half the world and most of the left here and the end result was getting Kim to the table. We will see where it goes.

So he goes in hard with the G7 and with NAFTA with the goal being lowering tariffs on both sides with our trading partners reducing more than we do. If we were a lesser country like Canada, France or Mexico this strategy would fail but our GDP is greater than the other 6 countries combined. Equal to the entire EU. I think it could work with the G7 countries and the EU because most of these countries are soft. They don't want a trade war. They need us. They most likely will buckle.

I don't think Trump is doing this thinking that a trade war in the long term is acceptable. I really don't.

I have been in business all my life. When you are the biggest fish with your business partners you have the leverage to bully your way around. That is just how it works. I have seen it over and over in business. We are the biggest fish among the EU countries, NAFTA countries, G7 countries. I don't get the left that we have to cower to these other countries or be worry warts about it. They need us. If it takes shaving a few points here and there off the tariffs they have on our goods to keep the money flowing it will happen. The alternative is not an option. Some of these countries signed their sovereignty over to Adolf Hitler. Not good negotiators.

I have a lot of issues with Trump and how he has handled things as POTUS. But I am willing to observe these two important issues and see how they play out before freaking out about it like the left is now.

Old 06-09-2018, 09:16 PM

11,988 posts, read 5,310,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
Not really. This is world changing times.

Leave the zeros and get with the heroes....
We’re already there.

Old 06-09-2018, 09:19 PM

32,131 posts, read 15,120,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot N Annie View Post
Thank you for proving my point! There are none so blind as those who will not see.

What do you see that I don't. I see a president isolating our country from our allies. They already said they had no problem becoming the G6 because they are not backing down. And we have no idea what the consquences will be for country since Trump doesn't even know. He just wants to be the big man calling the shots. But he's not. So other countries will move on without us. We won't have a seat at the table or have a say in anything just like Russia. How is that going to help us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies