Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2018, 02:35 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,231,255 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
I don't think that the bulk of the undocumented employees will self deport they'll just find someone who pays them cash. There are a lot of people who are willing to pay cash because they know they usually will worker harder than US citizens.

There are studies and stats that show otherwise.

The study unveiled a number of other pertinent findings as well. One was that E-Verify had a greater negative effect on the presence of illegal workers than other related efforts, indicating that workplace enforcement is the surest way to reduce the population of illegal workers in a given state.

https://cis.org/Huennekens/Study-Sho...-Effectiveness
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2018, 02:55 PM

30,181 posts, read 11,815,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I read that nearly 800K citizens and legal residents would lose their jobs due to e-verify errors, because e-verify is over 50% inaccurate. Also, driving the illegals into cash-only jobs would cost $17B in lost tax revenue.

Also, it would have to be an annual effort since some people will have their visas expire, so the cost to the employers would be significant.
57% percent of employers now use E-Verify to screen employees. Close to one million employers use it. I know people who use them in their businesses. Your 50% inaccurate number is lefty baloney. There is a learning curve for businesses to do it correctly. Overall it work fine. No need for scare tactics.

Trump should do an EO and get it going. Let the courts sort it out. And add heavy penalties to companies who pay under the table. Long jail times and loss of their business.

Old 07-03-2018, 02:56 PM

62,993 posts, read 29,178,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
Good luck hiring a roofer.

Right, many have been run off their jobs by cheap, illegals. Are you proud? There are still some legitimate contactors that only hire legal workers though you just have to search for them.

Old 07-03-2018, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
Good luck hiring a roofer.

I have hired lots of roofers over the years never had to hire an illegal one. But if we need more workers lets have a system to bring them in the country to work. Not let them sneak in. Makes much more sense.

Old 07-03-2018, 02:59 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,668,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
57% percent of employers now use E-Verify to screen employees. Close to one million employers use it. I know people who use them in their businesses. Your 50% inaccurate number is lefty baloney.
It is from a libertarian source. How do you know it is baloney?

Just because businesses use it, it somehow means it is accurate? How so?

Its an on-line service, so if you have stolen identity you will pass as long as the person you stole it from was legal.

Old 07-03-2018, 03:00 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,668,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
I have hired lots of roofers over the years never had to hire an illegal one.
So you E-Verified them all?

Old 07-03-2018, 03:46 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,360,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
There are studies and stats that show otherwise.

The study unveiled a number of other pertinent findings as well. One was that E-Verify had a greater negative effect on the presence of illegal workers than other related efforts, indicating that workplace enforcement is the surest way to reduce the population of illegal workers in a given state.

https://cis.org/Huennekens/Study-Sho...-Effectiveness
It shows that eVerify is effective against new comers. Has little effect on longer term illegals.

Undoubtedly a good thing to do. But does little to fix the longer term who are the actual problem.

And has little chance of being fully implemented except in some overall deal such as the gang of 8 act.

Old 07-03-2018, 04:09 PM

Quote:
It is from a libertarian source. How do you know it is baloney?

Just because businesses use it, it somehow means it is accurate? How so?

Its an on-line service, so if you have stolen identity you will pass as long as the person you stole it from was legal.

You are implying with your 50% number that businesses are having all sorts of problems with E-Verify and that is not true. A majority of US companies use it. Many totally voluntary and its free to use and if it was so horrible they would stop using it. And instead more and more are using it. So that is why its baloney.

Nothing is perfect. I have hired probably in excess of 1,000 over my lifetime and people can give you pretty good fake ID. E-Verify is not perfect but it will weed out some of those people where they fake ID will get snagged.

What is your solution?

Old 07-03-2018, 06:22 PM

Quote:
So you E-Verified them all?

I hired locals that I knew personally. These are small towns where I used to flip houses. Their families go back generations in the same town. Trust me they were American Citizens. Plus do you understand the concept of independent contractors?

Do you have real world experience hiring people or you base your opinions from what you peruse from leftest online sources?

Old 07-03-2018, 09:30 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,231,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
It shows that eVerify is effective against new comers. Has little effect on longer term illegals.

Undoubtedly a good thing to do. But does little to fix the longer term who are the actual problem.

What's your source for such an allegation? And there is no single tool that solves all parts of the problem. Even if e-verify is most effective against newcomers, that's a good step in preventing today's newcomers from becoming tomorrow's long termers, especially since the system is already in place and expanding it's use costs little more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies