Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2018, 08:39 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,765,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Roofing used to pay a living wage. Now it pays ten dollars an hour because that is what an illigegal will do it for.
Yep.

Most folk in need of a new roof don’t seem to mind who their contractor hires.

“ Storm Chasers” are among the worst. They sub license ( in those states that require roofers to be licensed) to established in state contractors and pay a flat fee for ongoing warranty work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2018, 08:40 PM

3,594 posts, read 1,795,576 times
Of course he should. Screw big business.

Old 07-02-2018, 08:44 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,360,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Roofing used to pay a living wage. Now it pays ten dollars an hour because that is what an illigegal will do it for.
Sorry Gal. just had a section of roof replaced. One of my AC units was leaking into the roof structure. Involved replacing a few hundred square feet of the composite section. They were not being paid $10 an hour though they were Hispanic. And the pickup that two of them arrived in was of the $50,000 class.

Old 07-02-2018, 11:42 PM

3,206 posts, read 2,488,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
A few years back I needed to relplace my roof- a tear off. I solicited bids and made it clear the business had to provide my with a certificate of insurance naming me as an additional insured and that only documented workers be on site. Needless to say, most did not follow through or show for the estimate.

Finally found a father/ son who did the work themselves.

Most people hire contractors based on price and don’t care who the contractors employ and look the other way.
My neighbor, who is a doctor, hired a local company to roof his home, shop and wellhouse with metal roofing. The home was intricate so it took 3 weeks total. All I heard for 3 weeks was Spanish spoken and Mexican music. Finally, I had enough and blasted my heavy metal playlist: Megadeth, Avenged Sevenfold, Slipknot, Disturbed. No more Mexican music. My neighbor could have afforded American citizens who are available. You can bet that when our roof needs to be replaced in the next 5 years, we will demand citizens.

Old 07-02-2018, 11:49 PM

3,594 posts, read 1,795,576 times
The downward pressure open borders is putting on working class wages is killing off our middle class, killing our birthrates. Look at the places with the highest % of illegals. There is essentially no middle class in those places(California, NJ, etc). Now look at the places with little to no illegals. There is a strong robust middle class(Iowa, Dakotas, etc). Our borders need to be secured NOW and the pull factors like employment need to be cut off.

Old 07-02-2018, 11:55 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,126,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Sorry Gal. just had a section of roof replaced. One of my AC units was leaking into the roof structure. Involved replacing a few hundred square feet of the composite section. They were not being paid $10 an hour though they were Hispanic. And the pickup that two of them arrived in was of the $50,000 class.
Southern California. I have a buddy in the LA burbs that used to do it for a living. Vegas isn’t the same deal at all. Probably because there are just so many people in So. Cal.

Old 07-03-2018, 04:08 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cttransplant85 View Post
The downward pressure open borders is putting on working class wages is killing off our middle class, killing our birthrates. Look at the places with the highest % of illegals. There is essentially no middle class in those places(California, NJ, etc). Now look at the places with little to no illegals. There is a strong robust middle class(Iowa, Dakotas, etc). Our borders need to be secured NOW and the pull factors like employment need to be cut off.
That's what the corporations want and that is what they are getting. It's what they will continue to get with a "businessman" in the White House.

Old 07-03-2018, 06:37 AM

18,471 posts, read 15,259,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
About 75% are from Latin America not 80% and there are quite a few from Asia as well namely the Philippines, India, China, Korea, and Vietnam but everyone is busy hating on the Mexicans they're about 60%.
Quote:
Pew Research puts it at 50% from Mexico.

The number of illegal immigrants from Mexico has been declining while the number from other places has been increasing.

5 facts about illegal immigration in the U.S. | Pew Research Center
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
My source says that 60% of illegal aliens in our country already here are Mexicans and other Latinos make up 20%. A total of 80% of illegal aliens in our country are Latinos.

Since we have so many Central Americans crashing our border lately I'm sure those stats are remaining pretty steady for Latinos in general.
I think you guys are splitting hairs. Whether it is 50%, 75%, or 80% doesn't change the fact that Latino illegal immigration is our biggest immigration problem. We should be doing something about ALL illegal immigration, regardless of where it is coming from, but resources should be proportionately allocated.

Old 07-03-2018, 08:14 AM

62,983 posts, read 29,170,163 times
Quote:
Yep.

Most folk in need of a new roof don’t seem to mind who their contractor hires.

“ Storm Chasers” are among the worst. They sub license ( in those states that require roofers to be licensed) to established in state contractors and pay a flat fee for ongoing warranty work.

Only those who don't give a damn about our laws and their fellow citizen workers don't care. Please don't speak for the majority of Americans who are not that way.

Old 07-03-2018, 08:15 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,023,656 times
Quote:
Have you considered “undocumented worker” is a troll for posters like you? Thanks for biting. .

Those with visas are free to travel through the US for the duration of their visa.

Want to put an ankle monitor on 76 million annual visitors ?
Can we? What a boon to the monitor manufacturers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies