Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2018, 09:54 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,231,255 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
I think you guys are splitting hairs. Whether it is 50%, 75%, or 80% doesn't change the fact that Latino illegal immigration is our biggest immigration problem. We should be doing something about ALL illegal immigration, regardless of where it is coming from, but resources should be proportionately allocated.

Agreed. I don't really care which illegals are Mexican versus Honduran versus Salvadoran. When I said their path is down I-35 or I-5 and their citizenship was waiting for them in Mexico, I phrased it wrong. Their citizenship is waiting for them south of the border. Their path to the border remains the same. What path they take after they cross the border is not my concern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2018, 10:09 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,713,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
While I think mandatory e-Verify with stiff penalties is a great idea, not everyone does.

https://twitter.com/Nash076/status/1011369431799422976
Exactly.

I read an article yesterday about an ICE raid on a company in Ohio. Lots of illegals arrested, NO charges for their employers.

It's pretty clear that the powers-that-be really don't care about companies that hire illegals and why would they?
They make up the donor class and doing anything to reduce their potential for income just wouldn't be prudent.

Old 07-03-2018, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
He's just another cheap American who puts his selfish interests first and doesn't care if he screws the American worker. As for picking crops we already have unlimited visas for those jobs for legal, foreign workers. Those who hire illegal aliens instead do so out of pure greed while passing their enormous social costs on to the taxpayer. They don't pass any savings on in form of cheaper veggies for the consumer. I doubt that the person you are replying to gives a damn though as his selfish interest trumps our laws and his fellow Americans. I find them despicable! I wish we could deport these anti-American citizens.
We finally agree on something!

"A Vox analysis of hiring records for seasonal workers at three Trump properties in New York and Florida revealed that only one out of 144 jobs went to a US worker from 2016 to the end of 2017. Foreign guest workers with H-2B visas got the rest."

https://www.vox.com/2018/2/13/164665...-guest-workers

Old 07-03-2018, 10:22 AM

20,115 posts, read 9,032,117 times
Democrats are against people having to identify themselves.

Old 07-03-2018, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
It’s a state issue. Only a handful of states require all employers to eVerify all employees.

Why is this?

Rather an investment in biometrics than a wall.

Most large employers do the eVerify thing regardless of state. Small businesses and households are the primary employers of undocumented people. Nothing partisan about it.

It would take an Act of Congress to make it a Federal Law.

The powerful state and national Chamber of Commerce lobbies vigorously oppose eVerify.

Not all undocumented workers hail from Mexico and Central America. Eastern Europeans flock to the US on Visitor Visas and have no problem being employed in the trades. Some return home, rinse and repeat. And some stay put.

Illegal immigration became a tidal wave in the 80’s.
30+ years of doing nothing is no accident. It has not mattered who sat the oval or held the majority.
This bears repeating every single time someone mentions e-Verify.

Nothing will be done as long as the Chambers lobby against it.

Old 07-03-2018, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Are you joking? Just read the many comments in this forum dealing with illegal immigration in the past couple of weeks and the subject of going after the employers who hire illegal aliens has been brought up numerous times, geesh! The illegal aliens are just as guilty as those who hire them. No one drags them over the border to work unlawfully and their reasons for doing so irrelevant and not justifiable. No one has a right to a better life by breaking laws and taking from others what doesn't belong to them. They know what they are doing is wrong. Both need to be held accountable.

The subject isn't "immigration" it's illegal immigration. Are you confused? I also live in Calif. and know how devastating illegal immigration has been to our state. The only ones who benefit from illegal immigration are those who hire them for profit while the rest of us get the shaft in terms of lost jobs, reduced wages and sharing in the over $100 billion a year that illegal aliens cost us.

The last time the GOP introduced e-verify to reign in the employers it was voted down by the Democrats or the Dems attach an amnesty to it. Maybe it is they you need to address.

https://amac.us/dems-block-gop-bills...al-immigrants/
It is already against the law to hire someone in this country illegally.

Why aren't those laws being enforced?
Why aren't the employers being perp-walked after these raids? They KNOW they are hiring illegals.

Stop trying to blame it on the party you hate. There is absolutely nothing stopping authorities from prosecuting the employers now.
Well, nothing other than desire.

Old 07-03-2018, 10:32 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,031,367 times
No, Congress should do it so it's not easily reversible.

Old 07-03-2018, 10:37 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,554,711 times
Lightbulb Should tRump sign an executive order to make everify mandatory for employers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Nope.

Congress should make it a law.

But they won't. Because illegal workers benefit the right people. Hiring cheap illegals instead of Americans.

Just call it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
No, Congress should do it so it's not easily reversible.
This!

Old 07-03-2018, 10:38 AM

5,738 posts, read 5,447,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
Democrats are against people having to identify themselves.
Yep, the old "blame Democrats" line, despite the fact that Republicans have had complete control on the federal level for a year and a half and probably will for the next 2.5 years as well. Why don't you ask them why they refuse to pass e-verify?

Old 07-03-2018, 11:50 AM

62,976 posts, read 29,170,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Exactly.

I read an article yesterday about an ICE raid on a company in Ohio. Lots of illegals arrested, NO charges for their employers.

It's pretty clear that the powers-that-be really don't care about companies that hire illegals and why would they?
They make up the donor class and doing anything to reduce their potential for income just wouldn't be prudent.

How do you know that the employers won't be charged? First off, it has to be proven that they "knowingly" hired illegal aliens. In many cases they provide very authentic looking fake documents to work and can fool the employer. Not saying that's always the case but why do you immediately jump to the conclusion that the employers who "knowingly" hired illegal aliens are getting a pass?

I know of a case where a Hispanic person in the personnel dept. hired illegal aliens knowingly and she interviewed them and accepted their fake documents. She was prosecuted but not her employer as they had no knowledge of it.

There has been some cases where it was proven that the employer themselves knew illegal aliens were working for them and they were prosecuted for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies