Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2018, 07:19 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
People are over estimating Kennedy stepping down. He's considered the 11th most conservative judge of the 20th century.

It's not the risk of trump appointing a conservative, it's how low the iq poll will he go in selecting one.
How do you rate Gorsuch, so far? Extreme Constitutionalist, middle of the road, extreme Marxist?

Old 07-08-2018, 07:43 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,018,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
How do you rate Gorsuch, so far? Extreme Constitutionalist, middle of the road, extreme Marxist?
Less conservative than whom he replaced. Over there with Thomas.

I expected him to go the opposite in Carpenter vs US, really all conservative judges should have favored Carpenter.

Don't expect him to often break ranks, but he's capable of it. Needs to check his ego, focus less on grandstanding.

Old 07-08-2018, 07:48 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
Less conservative than whom he replaced. Over there with Thomas.

I expected him to go the opposite in Carpenter vs US, really all conservative judges should have favored Carpenter.

Don't expect him to often break ranks, but he's capable of it. Needs to check his ego, focus less on grandstanding.
Gorsuch is a bit more conservative than Scalia, but not much. I think it's pretty much a wash. Thomas is the most conservative judge on the bench, by far.

Old 07-08-2018, 07:57 PM

One of the main reasons people voted Trump over Hillary.... The fate of the Supreme Court.

Old 07-08-2018, 09:29 PM

34,057 posts, read 17,071,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
One of the main reasons people voted Trump over Hillary.... The fate of the Supreme Court.
and it would be radical left had we not elected POTUS Trump.

All nominees would be in the Saul Alinsky mode.

Old 07-08-2018, 10:24 PM

32,067 posts, read 15,062,274 times
I think the people should elect the Supreme Court and not our corrupt government who are bought and paid for.

Old 07-09-2018, 09:50 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Lots of controversial cases at the intersection of religion and the law wind up before the Supreme Court.
And, for most of U.S. history, the court, like the country, was dominated by Protestant Christians. But today, it is predominantly Catholic and Jewish

It has become more conservative and is about to get even more so with President Trump's expected pick to replace Justice Anthony Kennedy, who is stepping down from the court at the end of July.
Everyone on President Trump's shortlist, but one, is Catholic. So what, if anything, do the current justices' and potential nominees' faiths tell us — and how has the religious make up of the Supreme Court changed?

"It's extraordinary and unprecedented in American history," said Louis Michael Seidman, a constitutional law professor at Georgetown University, which is affiliated with the Catholic Church. "There was a time when, for example, there was tremendous anti-Catholic bias ... and, of course, there was a time when there was a lot of anti-Semitism, and a lot of that has gone away."

https://www.npr.org/2018/07/07/62671...why-it-matters
Personal beliefs and interpreting the constitution are 2 different things. How many times have many of us been surprised at how a supreme court justice voted on issues? I know I have been shocked more than once and I am sure all of us have. a good justice will see things the way they feel the constitution was meant to be seen. Again, you are putting too much into what the very liberal npr has to say about something,

Old 07-09-2018, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Personal beliefs and interpreting the constitution are 2 different things. How many times have many of us been surprised at how a supreme court justice voted on issues? I know I have been shocked more than once and I am sure all of us have. a good justice will see things the way they feel the constitution was meant to be seen. Again, you are putting too much into what the very liberal npr has to say about something,
When words have distinct definitions, it is not hard to change their meaning, when wearing a Black robe.
Defined words need no interpretation. Only comprehension.

Old 07-09-2018, 04:34 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Lots of controversial cases at the intersection of religion and the law wind up before the Supreme Court.
And, for most of U.S. history, the court, like the country, was dominated by Protestant Christians. But today, it is predominantly Catholic and Jewish

It has become more conservative and is about to get even more so with President Trump's expected pick to replace Justice Anthony Kennedy, who is stepping down from the court at the end of July.
Everyone on President Trump's shortlist, but one, is Catholic. So what, if anything, do the current justices' and potential nominees' faiths tell us — and how has the religious make up of the Supreme Court changed?

"It's extraordinary and unprecedented in American history," said Louis Michael Seidman, a constitutional law professor at Georgetown University, which is affiliated with the Catholic Church. "There was a time when, for example, there was tremendous anti-Catholic bias ... and, of course, there was a time when there was a lot of anti-Semitism, and a lot of that has gone away."

https://www.npr.org/2018/07/07/62671...why-it-matters

SCOTUS is also dominated by justices who either as undergraduates or law students (sometimes both) attended Ivy League universities.

Indeed that bench looks like a public works program for Harvard, Yale and Princeton.

Where the Supreme Court justices went to college - Business Insider

Old 07-09-2018, 04:42 PM

57,294 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
and it would be radical left had we not elected POTUS Trump.

All nominees would be in the Saul Alinsky mode.
Garland may have very well been nominated if Trump has lost the election, he had the support of both parties until Scalia died.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies