Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2018, 01:26 AM

23,654 posts, read 17,523,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollygee View Post
Try not insulting world leaders, for starters. Trump is the selected president and commander in chief of the United States of America, not King of the world. He will never be diplomatic, not in his DNA.

He thinks he can bully and call down everyone. Well, maybe those days are getting closer to ending.
I don't consider telling the truth as bullying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2018, 01:50 AM

24,649 posts, read 9,472,982 times
I love a POTUS that holds countries accountable.

It's much better than the bowing and apology tour the previous president loved.

Old 07-14-2018, 05:00 AM

1,222 posts, read 2,280,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Yep, so you are cool that people within NATO are buying a lot of their oil from Russia.....fund the bad guy.....

And because of Russia:

to my knowledge the Soviet Union ceased to exist almost 30 years ago.

Old 07-14-2018, 06:06 AM

30,392 posts, read 19,191,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UserFinn View Post
I try to be some what polite because I know that most of peoples over there can think with their own brains and don't believe his clear and massive lies.
It is sad to see how Trump breaks US as an nation and bullying individual persons for crazy reasons and I don't understand how President can act like that, like he still is in "Deal" true-TV...There is truly something seriously wrong on that guys mind.
It has always been pleasure to visit in US but now I don't know, maybe it is better to to go some where else or stay at home....But even to stay home don't help because now Trump is coming here
How about this, you worry about who your political leader is in your tiny insignificant country and we worry about our political leader.

Old 07-14-2018, 06:08 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,886,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by what'd i miss View Post
If Trump thinks America will be top dog of a three Country alliance he s got another thing coming.
Who should be top dog?

Old 07-14-2018, 06:22 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,886,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UserFinn View Post
I try to be some what polite because I know that most of peoples over there can think with their own brains and don't believe his clear and massive lies.
It is sad to see how Trump breaks US as an nation and bullying individual persons for crazy reasons and I don't understand how President can act like that, like he still is in "Deal" true-TV...There is truly something seriously wrong on that guys mind.
It has always been pleasure to visit in US but now I don't know, maybe it is better to to go some where else or stay at home....But even to stay home don't help because now Trump is coming here
All the above is true, but that doesn't make him wrong for calling out our allies as mooches. With the exception of 4 allies, NATO is an organization of leeches.

Old 07-14-2018, 07:52 AM

27,194 posts, read 13,482,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
All the above is true, but that doesn't make him wrong for calling out our allies as mooches. With the exception of 4 allies, NATO is an organization of leeches.

In terms of spending, European countries have been significantly increasing spending and in terms of US Bases, 85% have closed since the Cold War and US Forces have reduced significantly over the years and will no doubt further reduce in the future.

Outside of Germany and Italy there are not many US Service Personnel, and I wouldn't push the issue too far if I were Trump, as US Forces are not always that popular among Italians, whilst a recent poll of Germans found that many would be happy for US bases to close.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guardian

And what are all these bases doing in Italy? Here's the way one US military official in Italy (who asked not to be named) explained the matter to me:
"I'm sorry, Italy, but this is not the cold war. They're not here to defend Vicenza from a [Soviet] attack. They're here because we agreed they need to
be here to do other things, whether that's the Middle East or the Balkans or Africa".

Italy: home of pizza, pasta, wine and the US military | Guardian

Italy Is Getting Fed Up with American Soldiers | VICE News

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Independent

Germans would actually welcome the withdrawal of American troops stationed in their country, a new poll has found – as Donald Trump threatens to pull the plug on military support.

The finding comes on the first day of a Nato summit in which the US president is urging Europe to spend more on defence if it wants to continue to receive American military protection.

But far from being seen as a threat, a YouGov poll for the dpa news agency found that more Germans would welcome the departure of the 35,000-strong American force than would oppose it.

42 per cent said they supported withdrawal while just 37 per cent wanted the soldiers to stay, with 21 per cent undecided.

Germans want Donald Trump to pull US troops out of Germany, poll finds - The Independent

Poll: 42% of Germans want US troops out of country - News - Stripes and Stripes

As Trump rattles NATO, 42 percent of Germans now want U.S. troops out of the country - Washington Post

Old 07-14-2018, 08:47 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,502,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
In terms of spending, European countries have been significantly increasing spending and in terms of US Bases, 85% have closed since the Cold War and US Forces have reduced significantly over the years and will no doubt further reduce in the future.

Outside of Germany and Italy there are not many US Service Personnel, and I wouldn't push the issue too far if I were Trump, as US Forces are not always that popular among Italians, whilst a recent poll of Germans found that many would be happy for US bases to close.
Putin's plan is working flawlessly.

Old 07-14-2018, 09:15 AM

46,307 posts, read 27,131,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob702 View Post
to my knowledge the Soviet Union ceased to exist almost 30 years ago.

Well, there ya have it folks....dissolve NATO.....the soviet union does not exist anymore....

Old 07-14-2018, 09:29 AM

39,239 posts, read 27,629,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
I
well, great, but it is not that simple

Germany is a NATO member and the NATO contract would therefore be broken between Germany and the USA. The German government could kick out US military bases but that would require amendments to NATO.

So if they want to kick us out, better talk to their other NATO members.

They've been moaning and biotching about Americans for years, but if US base really closed in Germany, they would have something else to moan about.

1. Economic losses in areas previously hosting bases: Americans personnel working and living on base buy local goods, and use local services. No more American personnel would mean less economic activity locally, and less demand for goods and services.

2. The absence of US forces would mean Germany would have to increase defense spending and increase the size of the Bundeswehr to compensate. Germany's neighbors might find this a less than ideal development.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies