Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2022, 01:39 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,572,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
An inmate who had accused his jailers of "torture" by alleging they forced him to listen to the repetitive Baby Shark song playing on a loop has been found dead.

John Basco was found unresponsive in his cell in the early hours of Sunday at the Oklahoma County Detention Center, according to a press release. Officers tried to save the 48-year-old's life and worked on him until emergency responders arrived and continued efforts to resuscitate him, jail officials said in the statement, but he was pronounced dead shortly after 4:05 a.m.
it says the 'baby shark' claim was from years earlier but this is the first i've heard of it.

Quote:
Basco, who had been booked into the jail on Thursday over a drug trafficking complaint, made headlines around the world in 2021 after he and three other inmates sued Oklahoma County commissioners, Sheriff Tommie Johnson III, the jail trust and two former jailers following a previous stint at the facility back in 2019.

They accused former detention officers Gregory Cornell Butler Jr. and Christian Charles Miles of forcing them to listen to Baby Shark blaring out on repeat, occasionally for hours, while they stood handcuffed to the wall of a visitation room. Former Lieutenant Christopher Raymond Hendershott was also accused of knowing about the practice and doing nothing to stop it at the jail in Oklahoma City.
https://www.newsweek.com/oklahoma-in...d-dead-1742089
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2022, 02:23 PM

7,360 posts, read 3,819,045 times
Quote:
"One of the Baby Shark torture victims is conveniently dead within three days of his arrival. District Attorney David Prater lost his most important witness for the upcoming criminal trial. The D.A. needs to immediately send in his own investigators to find out why this victim/witness died under these mysterious circumstances."
Coincidence? Probably not.

Old 09-12-2022, 02:25 PM

10,483 posts, read 7,005,412 times
wow more democrat justice served.

Old 09-12-2022, 03:16 PM

24,502 posts, read 17,239,538 times
I wonder if they got the idea from the TV series "Walking Dead" when in 2017 the popular character Daryl was captured, thrown into a dark cell and forced to listen to "Easy Street" by the Collapsable Hearts Club. Look it up it is torturous.

Old 09-12-2022, 03:18 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,572,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I wonder if they got the idea from the TV series "Walking Dead" when in 2017 the popular character Daryl was captured, thrown into a dark cell and forced to listen to "Easy Street" by the Collapsable Hearts Club. Look it up it is torturous.
never heard that, but can confirm the torturous nature of baby shark.

Old 09-12-2022, 04:21 PM

18,466 posts, read 15,256,903 times
Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo

Old 09-12-2022, 05:42 PM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 29 days ago)

27,651 posts, read 16,142,781 times
Job i had years ago had whitney Houston on irritating loop loudspeaker. I shoulda sued.

Old 09-12-2022, 06:18 PM

5,654 posts, read 6,219,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattja View Post
Coincidence? Probably not.
I don't know - the Baby Shark thing was in 2019. It seems a stretch to connect the two without something more substantial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
wow more democrat justice served.
I was unaware that the Oklahoma prison system was a Democrat stronghold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
Job i had years ago had whitney Houston on irritating loop loudspeaker. I shoulda sued.
For some reason this comment made me think of a wonderful going away party when I moved from the West Coast to the East Coast many many moons ago. At the time I was known to hate ABBA and so as part of this going away party, which really was one of the most heartwarming things ever, all that was played was ABBA. I now actually quite like ABBA because it will forevermore make me think of that. Immersion therapy, Stockholm Syndrome or oversized sentimentality, you make the call.

Last edited by CrowGirl; 09-12-2022 at 06:29 PM..

Old 09-12-2022, 09:24 PM

8,804 posts, read 10,246,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
I can relate sort of, it was Adele. Holy cow and I never liked her music to begin with. Anytime there's an Adele song near me I either turn off the radio or walk in another direction.

Old 09-12-2022, 09:31 PM

11,270 posts, read 11,028,294 times
Business owners used the Baby Shark theme song to drive out the transient population in the area where I work (West Eugene, OR). We had a period where there were dozens of run down trailers and tents popping up in the surrounding area, and a local business owner hooked up large speakers outside his business and blasted Baby Shark 24/7. It caught on fast.

The trash relocated quickly. Heck, it almost helped me quit smoking because I dreaded to go outside on my breaks and be subjected to the sound! The chit works!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies