Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2018, 07:43 AM

36,588 posts, read 30,928,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
That explains it then. HCA bought out the 4 doctor family practice in our rural community. We are fortunate that they did not close down the emergency room next door. I expect that will eventually happen as it gets little business, but it is still essential to our city in the event of life threatening emergencies. If it does, the next closest ER is (normally) a 30 minute drive.
For the past 50 years our closest ER is a 30 minute drive. We have a clinic, one doctor (not a OBGYN) and a dentist.
If there is a life threating situation that requires more attention than our nearest hospital can handle we have medical helicopters that fly from the metro hospitals some 100+ miles away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2018, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
As the OP I was writing less about the closure of the hospital and more about preparation to be a parent. Excerpts:

Right. As well the article focused as much or more on the stories of the expecting women in the town of Kennett and the hardships (mostly financial) they face due to the facility closing not specifically on reasons or solutions or details of the actual hospital closing so I don't understand why some posters keep implying there should be no discussion about the focus of the article: the financial strain on poor pregnant women and the inconvenience of traveling a distance for services due to hospital closings.

Old 07-26-2018, 08:07 AM

41,991 posts, read 75,287,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
My child bearing days are long past but if I go out and buy another horse knowing I may have to pay more for farm vet calls and additional hay, etc. that will cause me to not have the money to pay my utilities or mortgage or buy food then perhaps I should not get that horse.
Comparing horses to babies does nothing to further your weak argument. Humans who want babies don't often think practically or pragmatically.

Old 07-26-2018, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Comparing horses to babies does nothing to further your weak argument. Humans who want babies don't often think practically or pragmatically.
Point went over your head.
Live within your means. If you cant afford something, don't buy it, don't breed it until you can afford it.
I'm not comparing babies to horses, but humans who want horses don't often think practically or pragmatically either. That's no excuse. Think practically and pragmatically or ixnay on the woe is me.

Just because you want something doesn't mean your entitled to it. I sometimes think people have forgotten this.

Old 07-26-2018, 09:08 AM

41,991 posts, read 75,287,946 times
Quote:
Point went over your head.
The fact that there is emotion in the equation of procreation went over yours. That's never going to change. People will continue to have babies whether they can afford them or not.

Old 07-26-2018, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
The fact that there is emotion in the equation of procreation went over yours. That's never going to change. People will continue to have babies whether they can afford them or not.
I don't dispute that.
My discontent over it is the use of tear jerk stories and entitlement attitudes for the woes of having babies when you cant afford them.

If you choose to make decisions based on your emotions and wants and continue to be poor and have financial difficulties due to those choices, suck it up and deal. Don't assume others should financially or otherwise compensate you for the negative consequences of your choices or be moved by them when you continue to make the same choices.

Old 07-26-2018, 10:45 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,886,336 times
Quote:
Or maybe the article was focused on tear jerk stories about how poor people are going to be negatively impacted by having their local hospital close down to consolidate services in a larger hospital further away.

I complain about money sometimes too. But the article is emphasizing additional gas money to drive to doctor appointments is going to financially ruin pregnant women in the town. Again if you are that financially strapped having children or addition children with the risk, unforeseen circumstances and expense that comes with them might not be the best choice.

My child bearing days are long past but if I go out and buy another horse knowing I may have to pay more for farm vet calls and additional hay, etc. that will cause me to not have the money to pay my utilities or mortgage or buy food then perhaps I should not get that horse.
As far as the talk about additional gas money being problematic, we have no quotes for that. It could be that was the reporter's impressions. I have worked in health care and I know that people like to complain about money. For one thing, it's one of those excuses you can't argue against. If someone says "I can't afford it", what can you say? We're not sales people, that come back at them and say "yes you can". It could be that the reporter put words in people's mouths, too, by asking questions like "Will it be a financial problem for you to drive to Pine Bluff?" I tend to kind of brush talk like that off, people like to complain, especially about money.

What ohiogirl81 said about the horses. You can make a conscious decision to buy a horse. If you get pregnant, well, you get pregnant. Sure, we know there are ways to get unpregnant, but a lot of people have issues with that, too.

Quote:
I don't dispute that.
My discontent over it is the use of tear jerk stories and entitlement attitudes for the woes of having babies when you cant afford them.

If you choose to make decisions based on your emotions and wants and continue to be poor and have financial difficulties due to those choices, suck it up and deal. Don't assume others should financially or otherwise compensate you for the negative consequences of your choices or be moved by them when you continue to make the same choices.
Well, I don't like the tear jerker stories either. That's why I keep saying we don't have all the information about either one of these people, the young mom who had the twins, and the 30-something mom who had a hard time finding a doctor.

You don't know about the "choices" either of those people made, and you shouldn't assume.

Old 07-26-2018, 11:14 AM

35,137 posts, read 17,096,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
As far as the talk about additional gas money being problematic, we have no quotes for that. It could be that was the reporter's impressions. I have worked in health care and I know that people like to complain about money. For one thing, it's one of those excuses you can't argue against. If someone says "I can't afford it", what can you say? We're not sales people, that come back at them and say "yes you can". It could be that the reporter put words in people's mouths, too, by asking questions like "Will it be a financial problem for you to drive to Pine Bluff?" I tend to kind of brush talk like that off, people like to complain, especially about money.
You are basically right. It is common and defensible for reporters to summarize similar responses, much as during the Q & A part of a public presentation the speaker will often summarize groups of questions and answer them as such. Here is a link to the "original" article, It’s 4 A.M. The Baby’s Coming. (link).
Quote:
Originally Posted by It’s 4 A.M. The Baby’s Coming
Families struggle to afford the gas, child care and time off work to drive hundreds of miles for an ultrasound, shots or hospital tests.
Quote:
Women said his waiting room became a scene of sadness and confusion as they worried about where they would go next and how they would afford gas for weekly visits at distant hospitals when they barely had enough money to pay electric bills and rent.
Quote:
Ms. Abernathy said she was eager to bring the twins home and to get back to her $8.50-an-hour job as a home health aide. There is rent to make, baby clothes to purchase, $80 of gas to buy for the coming week. “My mom raised me to be independent,” she said. “I’ve always worked.”
The last is a the closest to a quote. It is pretty obvious that the amounts involved are important only for people who are stretched very tight. Those people really need to be careful about how many children they have if they or the children are ever to escape abject poverty.
Quote:
What ohiogirl81 said about the horses. You can make a conscious decision to buy a horse. If you get pregnant, well, you get pregnant. Sure, we know there are ways to get unpregnant, but a lot of people have issues with that, too.
Getting pregnant should be a conscious decision. Not "(i)f you get pregnant, well, you get pregnant." Except for forcible rapes and perhaps Mary's impregnation anyway.
Quote:
Well, I don't like the tear jerker stories either. That's why I keep saying we don't have all the information about either one of these people, the young mom who had the twins, and the 30-something mom who had a hard time finding a doctor.

You don't know about the "choices" either of those people made, and you shouldn't assume.
Why do people always avoid conceding and dealing with the obvious?

Old 07-26-2018, 11:32 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,886,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
You are basically right. It is common and defensible for reporters to summarize similar responses, much as during the Q & A part of a public presentation the speaker will often summarize groups of questions and answer them as such. Here is a link to the "original" article, It’s 4 A.M. The Baby’s Coming. (link).The last is a the closest to a quote. It is pretty obvious that the amounts involved are important only for people who are stretched very tight. Those people really need to be careful about how many children they have if they or the children are ever to escape abject poverty.
Getting pregnant should be a conscious decision. Not "(i)f you get pregnant, well, you get pregnant." Except for forcible rapes and perhaps Mary's impregnation anyway.
Why do people always avoid conceding and dealing with the obvious?
The young mother of twins said nothing about the cost of gas.

I'd like to know how some posters know about everyone's "choices"?

Old 07-26-2018, 11:43 AM

39,253 posts, read 27,655,778 times
Quote:

I'd like to know how some posters know about everyone's "choices"?
well, she is 21 and still lives with her mother. She already has a 2 year old son. SHE CHOSE to have the twins.

No? Are you telling me that she is forced to have the twins?

She was pregnant again and decided to give birth the second time. That is how I know. She (the 21 year old) CHOSE to have the twins, when she was still living with her mother, when she already had a 2 year old son.

Getting pregnant might not be a "choice" 100% of the time, but giving birth is a "choice" 100%of the time.

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 07-26-2018 at 11:54 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies