Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2018, 06:37 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,596,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Don't talk to me about "what immigrants contribute"... half of my family are immigrants. Well integrated, all speak English, moved up and out of the immigrant ghettos in less than a generation.

Funny thing is, though, you don't really hear about them or my ethnic group in the news. They aren't net drains on society. They also don't seem to constitute any special aggrieved population in the areas of the country where they settled/settle in large numbers. No breathless articles about the need to "integrate" them, or the "challenges" associated with them feeling trapped between two worlds. Massive resources aren't spent mediating the childish feelings of my people or having to explain to them why it's OK that women in America walk around without a sheet on their head.

SOME immigrant groups though (we won't mention names, but we all know them) ALWAYS ALWAYS have the same damned articles written about the 'challenges' a society faces to "integrate" them, whether the article is written in Minneapolis, Minnesota or Malmo, Sweden.

Just because someone is an "immigrant" doesn't make them wonderful, contributing or even valuable. The US tax payer literally takes care of SO many "immigrants" for every aspect of their lives and pays every cost associated with raising their kids it's ridiculous. The percentage of Medicaid births in this country to illegal immigrants alone is shockingly high.

Enough with this garbage romanticization. The inability to look at immigration and individual immigrants (or even, a macros subset of immigrants from certain cultures and regions vs. others) to determine whether said immigrant is a benefit to the American people or nation is a failure that leads to unnecessary strife.

Don't ever forget: Immigration laws are supposed to work for the needs, requirements and benefit of the AMERICAN PEOPLE. NOT IMMIGRANTS. Immigrants play by the rules, or they can choose 200+ other countries to try their luck in.

......oh, and by the way, the part of the world we SHOULD be bringing into America for the economic needs of the 21st century DOES speak English (i.e., the educated ones with skills).
Quote:
Just because someone is an "immigrant" doesn't make them wonderful, contributing or even valuable.
Just because someone is a "native born u.s. citizen" doesn't make them wonderful, contributing or even valuable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2018, 06:41 PM

3,614 posts, read 1,737,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Most have been here for over 26 years - so yes it is their home.
No, it's not. What part of TEMPORARY don't liberals understand? The practice of giving temporary status to people recovering from a disaster in their own home country must come to an end NOW.

Old 07-23-2018, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Not to mention, the dishonest headlines about "white men" being "more of a threat" in even "right wing terror" is read meat for idiots who never learned the concept of population proportionality.

Take a look at TOTAL incidents, and obtain one conclusion that allows you to gloss over the fact that one other ideological/religious subset of the population (representing less than 2% of the population) commits terror at a rate at a rate 10X their representation.
Quote:
dishonest headlines
TERROR IN OKLAHOMA: THE OVERVIEW; Oklahoma Bombing Plotted for Months, Officials Say

Old 07-23-2018, 06:45 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,912,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomPenguin View Post
no. its not,
When does a place become someone's home?

I'd think a quarter century is pretty sufficient...

Old 07-23-2018, 06:47 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,143,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightleavenyc View Post
What a wack job. I'd say Somalia is their home!
https://twitter.com/amyklobuchar/sta...82892726456322
Sounds like you're the whack job.

Home is anywhere you consider it to be.

Even among Americans, tons of people aren't living where they were born.

Old 07-23-2018, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
Have most of them assimilated in to American society over these 26+ years or have they formed a largely insular cloistered community?
Do any first generation communities ever "fully assimilate"?

Be honest - look at history.

Second and third generation immigrants are fully "assimilated". And once that process has completed, a part of their culture becomes a part of the amalgamation that is "Americana".

This is the beauty of American immigration. They become a part of us, and with it, we get a little bit of them. This has happened since the establishment of our country.

Old 07-23-2018, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Yes and no. While the original immigrants tended to remain cloistered their kids learned English, went to US schools (well, a lot of Catholic ones), and assimilated. By the time the second US generation went to school the assimilation was almost complete and a lot of those kids grew up in the suburbs.

You're not seeing that with some immigrant groups today when you still have to have ESL classes for that third generation.
Gonna need to seriously back that up. I've never witnessed that, and I live around A LOT of immigrant communities (from non-English speaking countries).

Old 07-23-2018, 06:51 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
Gonna need to seriously back that up. I've never witnessed that, and I live around A LOT of immigrant communities (from non-English speaking countries).
Because it never happens.

Old 07-23-2018, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGR_NYR View Post
No, it's not. What part of TEMPORARY don't liberals understand? The practice of giving temporary status to people recovering from a disaster in their own home country must come to an end NOW.
There was an M & M's candy commercial several years back. Oh wow, probably like 20 years ago. The guy tells the m & m candy character to 'get in the bowl'. M & M says back to him, 'you get in the bowl'. Made me laugh every time I saw it.

US to allow longer stay for Somali migrants over conflict
Quote:
Terminating protected status "would essentially be a death sentence" for Somalis forced to leave the US, Mustafa Jumale, the head of an advocacy group for black immigrants, had warned prior to Thursday's decision.
Planning a vacation. I know of a great spot.

Old 07-23-2018, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
Do any first generation communities ever "fully assimilate"?

Be honest - look at history.

Second and third generation immigrants are fully "assimilated". And once that process has completed, a part of their culture becomes a part of the amalgamation that is "Americana".

This is the beauty of American immigration. They become a part of us, and with it, we get a little bit of them. This has happened since the establishment of our country.
Quote:
"fully assimilate"
Those are code words for brainwash. You know that right? I don't know about you, but me, I'm sure I am due up for reeducation camp, any day now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies