Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2018, 02:53 PM

2,828 posts, read 825,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Who has argued that slavery made America rich? Slavery created the foundation on which America would grow rich. It set America up to become what it did. It's like the title is a straw man.
Where did you come up with that load of crap? I am sure it played a role but it did not create the foundation. Did you ever watch "The Men who made America" These were the pioneers who started the industrial revolution which was a major contributor to the wealth of this nation. There was no slavery involved, back breaking labor for 12 hrs a day at low pay, hell they might as well been slaves. Mostly white men.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2018, 03:33 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,769,559 times
Felons don't tend to earn much money. When fully 1/3 of the men in a community are felons... yeah, there's gonna be an income problem.

Old 07-20-2018, 04:20 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,870,209 times
Quote:
Should not you have waited for such an article from someone who actually graduated? I mean....a USC undergrad is hardly "credentials"...lol. However, I imaging it would be much harder to find such garbage reasoning from someone who actually had some credentials.
Thanks for pointing out what most here on C&D have learned from your posts. It's not about what is spoken, the policy, the actual issue, or the truth, it's the degree one holds. Hey look this ones shinier.
If you don't have the knowledge on the topic then how about you stay out of the discussion? Your posts add nothing.

Old 07-20-2018, 04:26 PM

4,136 posts, read 2,839,429 times
After reading this thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
He goes to Columbia. The article is well written with plenty of citations. He is clearly a smarty young man.

Do you have an argument against the article? Can you comprehend what has been written?
Swing and a miss

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
too bad you lack the fortitude to attack the arguments he made, rather than him personally..
Another swing and a miss.

Old 07-20-2018, 04:31 PM

24,636 posts, read 9,464,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
The lack of generational wealth accumulation due to long ago oppression is irrelevant to the main issue: most black Americans, despite having decent incomes, have near zero wealth. Black people simply prefer to spend their money rather than save or invest it.
This is absolutely.. True. People with little to no money, or those who never have money, spend it. They spend it as fast as it comes. They don't save it. The black community is also notorious for not supporting black owned businesses. Hence all the convenience stores, grocery stores, clothing stores, etc. in the inner cities are owned by middle easterners or koreans. If a black person opens up shop, they wouldn't get business.

Musicians, celebrities, professional athletes, etc. they go broke as soon as the money stops. The divorce, alimony, child support, cars, houses, taxes, and poor investments is too much.

We the black community must save our money if we want wealth. But that's not our mindset. Our mindset is "live fast die young" and "You only live once" and "I'm going to showoff."

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
Felons don't tend to earn much money. When fully 1/3 of the men in a community are felons... yeah, there's gonna be an income problem.
Excellent point that I overlooked. Uneducated people also don't earn money, no one can force you to get a college degree.

Old 07-20-2018, 04:50 PM

4,136 posts, read 2,839,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
This is absolutely.. True. People with little to no money, or those who never have money, spend it. They spend it as fast as it comes. They don't save it. The black community is also notorious for not supporting black owned businesses. Hence all the convenience stores, grocery stores, clothing stores, etc. in the inner cities are owned by middle easterners or koreans. If a black person opens up shop, they wouldn't get business.

Musicians, celebrities, professional athletes, etc. they go broke as soon as the money stops. The divorce, alimony, child support, cars, houses, taxes, and poor investments is too much.

We the black community must save our money if we want wealth. But that's not our mindset. Our mindset is "live fast die young" and "You only live once" and "I'm going to showoff."
“Our”? Who is this “Our”? Do you think like that? I don’t, as a Black man (like you continually point out), you should know better than to treat the community as a monolith.

Old 07-20-2018, 06:24 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,876,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsvibe View Post
Growing up in the South, in a minority majority area, I have seen this with my own eyes. Go ahead and call me a racist, get that out of your system. For anyone else with an open mind, I will tell you my experiences.

In middle school, there were lots of black kids on the honor roll. We would get a pizza party in the library, an hour lunch. All of the kids knew each other. It was a small town. By the time we reached high school, it changed. There were only 3 black males left on the honor roll. Plenty of black girls, plenty of Latinas, 2 Asian girls, one Jewish girl. The 3 black males, were picked on constantly. I saw one sucker punched for no reason at a bus stop. They were afraid to be around other back males. 2 were in band with me. They were smart, and I am sure they all made it to college. They were accused of wanting to be white. They were shunned.

Most of the black males assumed the "thug" culture. They acted out in school. Caused fights. 13 got arrested for gang raping a girl. How can anyone explain this change in behavior, other than they were influenced by those around them. It wasn't slavery coming back to keep them down. It wasn't the white man sneaking in the bushes. These smart kids were transformed into low life criminals.

It is truly sad. Blacks in other countries don't act this way, it is truly an American invention. It plays into the fallacy from the white supremacists that blacks are inferior.
I actually noticed this in high school as well too. By high school, the blacks who did well in school were considered “nerds” and not “black enough.” The “cool” blacks were the ones that were athletes or acted like thugs, and this was in the suburbs so they were fake thugs lol. I was working with a black guy when we paired up in class, and when the teacher asked him a question that we had reviewed, he gave the wrong answer. I asked him why he gave the wrong answer, and he said something to the effect of, “I don’t want people to think I’m smart or a nerd.”

Blacks face a lot of additional psychological challenges that no other races do. One of the biggest hurdles they face is that many of their own race will consider them “sellouts” or “acting white” if they talk properly, dreas properly, or do well in school. I think it subconciously makes some of them not try to do well in academics/education, which is why, as a group, they lag behind all other races, including Hispanics who have recently immigrated, and have parents who don’t speak fluent English.

Old 07-21-2018, 08:51 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,876,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
The lack of generational wealth accumulation due to long ago oppression is irrelevant to the main issue: most black Americans, despite having decent incomes, have near zero wealth. Black people simply prefer to spend their money rather than save or invest it.
I honestly don’t think that is true for “most” blacks. I think that for those who grow up in the inner city it is probably more likely to be the case. Buying $100+ sneakers, rims, and a ton of expensive clothes is not a good longterm investment. However, I don’t think that blacks in the suburbs would have those same spending patterns.

Old 07-22-2018, 12:29 PM

2,828 posts, read 825,364 times
Quote:
Should not you have waited for such an article from someone who actually graduated? I mean....a USC undergrad is hardly "credentials"...lol. However, I imaging it would be much harder to find such garbage reasoning from someone who actually had some credentials.
It doesn't matter if a 1st grader wrote it, as long as it is well researched and well written. I think it is a matter of you not liking the truth, since you have been brain washed for so long.
My brother has a degree in Political science, graduated Magna *** laude from a major university and said "Superb analysis" "Well researched and thought-out" about the article.

Old 07-26-2018, 02:47 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,678,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pgh guy View Post
It doesn't matter if a 1st grader wrote it, as long as it is well researched and well written. I think it is a matter of you not liking the truth, since you have been brain washed for so long.
My brother has a degree in Political science, graduated Magna *** laude from a major university and said "Superb analysis" "Well researched and thought-out" about the article.
Just another opinion - as you know about assumptions also, right.

ASSUME
ARSE out of U and ME?

Political Science is not a science.

Anyone with a 1/2 decent education (well read, well experienced) can make a perfect argument for various "sides" or "short takes" of any part of history. Same goes for the opposite....that is, those without much education and experience tend to look at the $100 sneakers and say "oh, that's why they are poor"....

Sorry, but that's not why. That is the RESULT, not the causation. I tell the story often but I had an employee (very white) who started spending big a year before he got married (at 19 yo) and never stopped. He never had any money.

His attitude was "I'm never going to have any money so I may as well just buy stuff now and forever".....and this is one part of the "result" of a forever lower class. This spans all races.....come to think of it I had two employees that were that way...and that's out of maybe 8 full timers. So a LOT of people feel that way.

These are deep subjects and unless one has had vast amounts of personal experience and also read tens of thousands of pages of "deeper" history, they are unlikely to have a realistic (long term, true cause and effect, understanding) view on things.

An example that some may relate to - a lot of my peers were Vietnam Vets. Out of this particular crowd, very few made serious money. Quite a few took their own lives, even decades later after trying the straight and narrow (marriage, kids, etc.).

Was their lack of success in life due to them being white, middle class and drafted? I'd say it was what society did to them.

The homeless population contains a lot of vets for the very same reasons.

Why is it that people can understand this - yet not understand the trauma of being held down for 100's of years and insulted and raised in violent areas where resources are not the same as in the burbs?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies