Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2018, 10:19 PM

501 posts, read 303,884 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
First of all he didn’t slam him to the ground. He pushed him and the wimp fell. And yeah I expect my husband to protect us from a lunatic
.. by intervening verbally or by running up and pushing (at full speed, mind you) the "lunatic" (who didn't touch you and was standing away from the car) to the ground? The guy fell pretty hard, wouldn't you say?

A gun is a great equalizer. In the absence of a gun, the twice-the-size guy was free to use his size/weight/muscles to pummel the other guy to his heart's content. The gun removed his advantage.

I would suggest you use this incident to show it to your husband, as a "teachable moment". As in "Honey, in this kind of situation, talk to the guy instead of using violence. I value your life."

Old 07-27-2018, 10:23 PM

32,083 posts, read 15,085,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Well, I guess some women are just happy enough that their husbands are willing to get killed in their behalf, because in fact, adrenaline is not only overrated, but sorry, it won't be a matter of adrenaline.

"Fight or flight" isn't working for the protection of others in men. Protecting family is a purely learned action on a man's part.
If there wasn’t a stand your ground law in Florida this would have never happened. What if the victim came out of the store and felt his family was being threatened and shot the guy. Would you think that was justified

Old 07-27-2018, 10:25 PM

Quote:
If there wasn’t a stand your ground law in Florida this would have never happened. What if the victim came out of the store and felt his family was being threatened and shot the guy. Would you think that was justified
No. The standard of "fear of imminent death or great bodily harm" is not satisfied by someone's shouting and cursing.

Old 07-27-2018, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terr View Post
.. by intervening verbally or by running up and pushing (at full speed, mind you) the "lunatic" (who didn't touch you and was standing away from the car) to the ground? The guy fell pretty hard, wouldn't you say?

A gun is a great equalizer. In the absence of a gun, the twice-the-size guy was free to use his size/weight/muscles to pummel the other guy to his heart's content. The gun removed his advantage.

I would suggest you use this incident to show it to your husband, as a "teachable moment". As in "Honey, in this kind of situation, talk to the guy instead of using violence. I value your life."
Whatever. The guy had no reason to shoot him because he pushed him and walked away. And I could care less how hard the guy fell. Poor baby

Old 07-27-2018, 10:28 PM

16,618 posts, read 8,632,029 times
Quote:
Neither is my husband but when you see someone harassing your wife/girlfriend with your kids in the car, you would be surprised how adrenaline takes over. Your instinct is to protect your loved ones.
The object should always be to disengage the potential threat as safely for your family as possible. The assailant far from defending his GF & kids actually endangered them. Let's face it, how many times have you heard someone say something akin to "you were lucky that person didn't have a gun" ?
Sure enough this time the guy did have a gun and could have just started shooting wildly, accidentally hitting one of the kids, GF, bystanders, etc.

Had I been in the same situation, chances are I'd have asked the guy what his problem was (assuming I didn't already know), then just get into the car and drive away.
That would have been the smart and mature thing to do.

Quote:
... and of course running up and saying "What the hell is going on here?" is just... unmanly? No, you have to, without warning, slam someone half your size to the ground. That's the right thing to do. That's what you would expect your husband to do. Right?
Strangely enough sometimes guys will be ready to let something go, but the women will throw gas on a fire that is about to go out.

Regardless, I suspect this assailant would have thought twice if the guy he approached appeared capable of hurting him.
Instead he perceived the guy to be someone he could bully and get away with it. Funny thing is that sometimes the smaller guy is going to win, and sadly in this case, that is exactly what happened.
You never underestimate a person or potential threat.

`

Old 07-27-2018, 10:29 PM

Quote:
No. The standard of "fear of imminent death or great bodily harm" is not satisfied by someone's shouting and cursing.
If someone was shouting and cursing at me for no reason I would fear for my life because you have no idea what they are capable of and going to do next

Old 07-27-2018, 10:37 PM

Quote:
If someone was shouting and cursing at me for no reason I would fear for my life because you have no idea what they are capable of and going to do next
You may fear for your life but it has been pretty well legally established that shouting and cursing does not constitute, to a "reasonable" person an imminent fear of death or great bodily harm. Even if it was "for no reason" (although, in this case, there was a reason).

Old 07-27-2018, 10:42 PM

Quote:
You may fear for your life but it has been pretty well legally established that shouting and cursing does not constitute, to a "reasonable" person an imminent fear of death or great bodily harm. Even if it was "for no reason" (although, in this case, there was a reason).
If I shot the guy because I feared for my life and my children’s lives by his rantings would that be ok.

Old 07-27-2018, 10:46 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,502,465 times
Quote:
If I shot the guy because I feared for my life and my children’s lives by his rantings would that be ok.
In Florida? Only if he threatened you or your kids life. And you'd have my support in doing so.

But if a guy was just yelling for the sake of yelling. No.

Old 07-27-2018, 10:47 PM

Quote:
You'd be charged with and convicted of murder and imprisoned, and your children would not have a mother to live with. Because, as I said, someone shouting and cursing a few feet away from your car is not something that constitutes, to a reasonable person, a fear for imminent treat to life or great bodily harm.

Note that I said "reasonable person". You may consider it "reasonable". The jury won't. So you're going away for quite a while.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies