Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2018, 02:41 PM

16,550 posts, read 8,584,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
IMO with more and more people on the road in their cars, it puts pressures on the limited number of parking spaces. And even non-handicapped tagged people have their legitimate aches and pains when walking. And I've know people with a severely sprained ankle or a bad knee, or a broken foot that didn't qualify for getting a handicapped tag, but who could have benefited from being able to park in a handicapped spot.

IMO one should be able to use a handicapped parking space for 5 minutes in order to do a quick errand inside a shop. After 5 minutes, they should get a ticket. And I say that because very honestly, there are some handicapped parking spaces that I never ever see used (by someone with a handicapped tag or plate). So why not let others use the spot for 5 minutes at a time? Surely someone with a handicap should be able to wait a few minutes for the spot to open up.

And yes, I also will use a handicapped bathroom stall. I will look to see if a handicapped person might be approaching first, but if not... why can't an able-bodied person use it?
In my view you are making assumptions that benefit your needs about that of those who do not have the options that you do.

I've been an athlete most of my life, and on occasion I have had injuries that made it tough to walk. Still the point is that I can walk, where others cannot. Unlike a large parking lot, these small ones sometimes only have one space for the disabled, as is likely the case in this scenario.
Regardless, the driver clearly was not limping or suffering from any physical malady, but chose to take the space out of convenience, laziness, or just being downright inconsiderate.

I'd also point out the example I gave with my son who busted his leg very badly to where he needed a wheelchair for a period of time, and the efforts I went through to not use the spaces except just long enough to get him out of the vehicle and into a chair.
Why?
Because other people needed it more.

Your 5 minute idea is a non starter, because the logistics of enforcing it would be impossible, and losers would abuse it with impunity.
As to the notion these losers will get a ticket after 5 minutes, they rarely get a ticket even if they are illegally parked for hours.
In my city, they created a handicapped parking hotline to report the bums that were obviously abusing the spot. I logged it into my phone figuring I'd give it a try the next time I saw a punk hop out of his car and dart into wherever he was going. Take a wild guess how long it took them to show up?
You guessed it, never.
The jerk was back out well before cops arrived and even with being delayed by me berating him, they didn't show up before we left.

As to your comparison with a handicapped bathroom stall, I get your point, and have thankfully never been in a situation where I was in the only handicapped stall, and a person needed it.
I can envision however getting out fast if a disabled person needed it quickly.
Why?
Simple, because I can use any stall, where as they cannot.

Their day to day lives are an arduous task just to do the most simple of things we take for granted.
Therefore we should be willing to experience a little inconvenience by empathizing with what they must go through 24/7/365 for the rest of their lives.

`

Old 07-21-2018, 02:55 PM

4,515 posts, read 2,520,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
I don't care what legally is okay.

For a man to lose his life because someone else felt frustrated about a handicapped spot (when there were clearly many spaces open that were just as easily accessed) is absolutely positively tragic.

For those that don't have any sympathy, you are so blinded by your bias you have lost your humanity.

Yes the guy shouldn't have shoved the other guy.....it was wrong -- but it shouldn't have been a death sentence.

If this a great America , this is sad.
He didnt lose his life because someone was frustrated about a handicap spot...he lost his life because he physically attacked someone.

Old 07-21-2018, 02:59 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,664,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spottednikes View Post
He didnt lose his life because someone was frustrated about a handicap spot...he lost his life because he physically attacked someone.
This great man lost his life so the NRA could make more money and have more power:
https://www.thedailybeast.com/george...n-by-bicyclist

This "guns everywhere" thing is really working out. I'm going to need a few rigged up on my bike...aimed in various directions and, since I ride in Florida, I can just set them off when I feel slightly threatened. Lots of things trigger me...

Old 07-21-2018, 03:09 PM

16,352 posts, read 8,088,686 times
I support right to carry laws. But if you carry you should go out of your way if necessary to avoid confrontations. This guy seemed to be actually looking for a confrontation.

Old 07-21-2018, 03:17 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,397,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
The shooter started the trouble, and it wasn't the first time. Florida law is messed up.
It doesn't help that we have had a number of mass shootings and violent events in the last 6 months in Florida.

Old 07-21-2018, 03:22 PM

45,676 posts, read 23,994,029 times
Quote:
Ugh -- I've been pushed harder by old people who think they own the sidewalk.

Old 07-21-2018, 03:22 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times
Quote:
IMO with more and more people on the road in their cars, it puts pressures on the limited number of parking spaces. And even non-handicapped tagged people have their legitimate aches and pains when walking. And I've know people with a severely sprained ankle or a bad knee, or a broken foot that didn't qualify for getting a handicapped tag, but who could have benefited from being able to park in a handicapped spot.

IMO one should be able to use a handicapped parking space for 5 minutes in order to do a quick errand inside a shop. After 5 minutes, they should get a ticket. And I say that because very honestly, there are some handicapped parking spaces that I never ever see used (by someone with a handicapped tag or plate). So why not let others use the spot for 5 minutes at a time? Surely someone with a handicap should be able to wait a few minutes for the spot to open up.

And yes, I also will use a handicapped bathroom stall. I will look to see if a handicapped person might be approaching first, but if not... why can't an able-bodied person use it?
Yeah, I've seen handicapped parking spaces that never seem to be used, as well. Who cares? Are you so damn lazy that you can't walk the additional steps?

I've been out in -20 degree weather running in for one item and I wouldn't park in those spaces. I just pick up my pace and thank God I have good health that doesn't require my needing a handicapped placard as I'm hustling to get in and out.

It doesn't matter if they've been used one time over the course of twenty years. They're not for your convenience.

Old 07-21-2018, 03:31 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,512,680 times
Quote:
Please stop doing this. Last year I rolled into a bathroom at the local Walmart. A teenager had just walked in and used the handicapped stall. I csn't prove this, but I'm pretty sure he sat down to pee and look at his phone at the same time. There were two stalls and only one was handicapped accessible and large enough to fit me and my wheel chair. So I was angry. I sat there while he texted or scrolled and did what he had to do. When he finally left and saw me sitting there waiting for him to come up, he turned lily white.

So I said, "Don't that anymore. It's the only stall in this bathroom that I can legitimately use and I had to wait for you to get off your damn phone." I guess he could have beat my one legged butt all over the bathroom. But what he actually did was walk ut without replying to me at all. Just because there's not someone in the handicapped stall when you walk in doesn't mean there's not someone thirty seconds behind you that needs it.

Old 07-21-2018, 04:13 PM

18,984 posts, read 9,067,948 times
Quote:
He lost his life because a pseudo tough guy, who made it a regular practice to harass people in the store parking lot, finally got exactly what he was hoping for, a chance to pull his gun and shoot someone. You know that's what he was hoping for because he had been harassing people in that parking lot for a long time.

This is what happens when we arm hotheads, idiots and Dirty Harry wannabes. Anyone who still believes this moron should have been carrying is a moron themselves.

But Flori-DUH will let him go on his merry way, to continue to be a menace to society with his concealed weapon. Because it's Flori-DUH.

Old 07-21-2018, 04:22 PM

30,251 posts, read 23,719,256 times
Quote:
They stopped at the Circle A Food Store at 1201 Sunset Point Road on the way home from picking Jacobs up from her job as a certified nursing assistant to grab chips and drinks. Jacobs parked in the handicap spot, she said, because the parking lot was busy and they were just stopping for a minute.

The couple’s 4-month-old and 3-year-old were in the car. Their 5-year-old, named after McGlockton, was in the store. After the shooting, when his father walked in and collapsed, the boy witnessed his mother applying pressure to the wound with a shirt, Jacobs said.
How thoughtful of them. They were "just going to be a minute", so anyone who pulls into the parking lot that is actually handicapped, and already takes longer than most to get out of the car, get into the building, get around, etc, now has to add more time because, you know, it's no big deal, it's just a "minute". I wonder if that minute is the same as those who only turned their back for a minute before something happened to their kid. It's typically much longer than an actual minute.

And, according to the story, it sounds like their 5 year old was in the store all by himself. In the state of Florida of all states. (You shouldn't let your kid wander anywhere on their own, but especially not in FL with all the pedos that live there.)

And bravo, what a great dad to slam another guy to the ground in front of his kids just because the guy pointed out that Miss Jacobs was being a selfish bint. The only coward here is the idiot who couldn't have a conversation with the guy and immediately went to violence. And look what it got him.

Idiot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies