Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2018, 10:48 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,970,933 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
And YES college is, for most, a complete waste of money. They go into thousands of dollars in debt for NOTHING. That is why I've posted, multiple times, that these kids need to get a CLUE and investigate career options that have a better payout and will benefit them for their life.
Such as what? You sit on the throne of your computer, judging strangers for their choices and you have not answered my most basic question. How does a new high school graduate get a job that supports them without going to college, getting into deep debt, and being able to support just themselves, much less these theoretical children? I'm not afraid at all. I'm asking a simple question, one that you (and many other judgmental people) seem unable to answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Seriously, you are very afraid, very pessimistic and completely unwilling to assess and act.There are solutions.

You just don't want them. Your solution? Be afraid, complain and do nothing. rant on public forum at someone who is not criticizing, but offering a perspective you don't like because it involves assessing reality at level beyond your comfort zone.
No one EVER has to go into student debt that they cannot afford.
So tell me what they are. All you are saying is that there are solutions. It seems to me like you don't even know yourself. And you are criticizing, BTW. I'm beyond childbearing age, but I, and I am sure many millennials who really want a family, would love to hear any CONSTRUCTIVE words of advice you may have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2018, 10:50 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,830,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Well, yes, fertility does start a slow decline in the late twenties and becomes more significant once a woman crosses into the second half of her thirties, but that doesn't mean that she needs to marry and have children right out of college before launching her career.

I agree with this in theory but I do believe if a woman knows she wants children she should have them after college in her 20s.

My oldest was unplanned and I was forced out of college at that time for my final year (had a family issue so had to leave, I went back and finished 5 years later). I had him when I was 22. I'm glad I did a I was much more energetic with him than with my daughter who was born when I was 29. It was a huge difference and IMO early 20s is the best time to have children. But I understand that there are financial struggles for young people so I agree that it is better to wait until you have more stability, but if it is important to them and they don't want to wait and take a chance of not having children, then they should in their early 20s IMO.

I also like the fact that when I'm 50 I'll be totally done "raising" little children. I'm almost 40 now and am way more tired daily than I used to be. I'm always in awe of women who actually get pregnant and have babies in their late 30s and early 40s lol. I have a cousin who is about to have a baby same age as me and I told her she is a powerful woman. I couldn't do it at this stage in my life.

Old 07-27-2018, 10:51 AM

33,315 posts, read 12,546,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
What amazes me is 33% said it was because of climate change.
Me too.

I'm from the Bay Area (both sides of my family), have more relatives who are UC Berkeley alums than any other school (a number of my relatives fit both stereotypes), and I can't imagine even one of my relatives considering climate change in the 'have kids or not?' equation.

Old 07-27-2018, 10:59 AM

33,315 posts, read 12,546,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Once again you are wrong. They don't want to charge taxpayers for their own kids, a very selfless reason.

Does that mean people should not be concerned about safety? No.

Climate change has increased the rate of natural disasters exponentially. Climate change is caused by us, and the fact that there are too many usses in the world already. But I'm sure you don't believe in that.

Does that mean we don't deserve health insurance? Apparently Republicans don't think we do. So how do we care for our kids' health problems? They have accidents and illnesses too. Healthcare is not cheap.

You know what the topic of this thread is, right? The fact that millenials are far more financially insecure than the generations before them. And unless public policy changes, it will only get worse, not better.

Really? Every married couple knows they will get divorced before they walk down the aisle? Just ask Melania Trump if she knew her husband would be a serial cheater and the entire world would know about it. I'm sure she would have thought twice before marriage.

Think for just one minute. When a person (or couple) is on a tight budget in the first place, they are in more trouble when they lose a job than when they are more financially secure. That's pretty obvious.

They are grown up. That's why they aren't having kids they can't afford.

Once again I'm stating the obvious, but if these so called selfish adults aren't having babies they can't afford, they aren't asking others to pay for them are they? By all means OP, tell us the magic formula that will allow millennials to afford these things. I would love to know the secret. Because expenses have gone up and not incomes.

College is no longer the ticket to a good job, never mind high school. So instead of sitting at your computer judging millennials for not having children they can't afford, tell us what career they can choose that will allow them to pay their expenses without going into boatloads of debt. And I'd love to know your secret to a lasting marriage. Because I'm sure you've never been divorced either.
Why would she think anything else? Look at his track record before her.

Old 07-27-2018, 11:03 AM

18,502 posts, read 9,170,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
Me too.

I'm from the Bay Area (both sides of my family), have more relatives who are UC Berkeley alums than any other school (a number of my relatives fit both stereotypes), and I can't imagine even one of my relatives considering climate change in the 'have kids or not?' equation.
Just buy some land in Alaska while you can. Preferably away from the coast.

Old 07-27-2018, 11:04 AM

9,467 posts, read 5,233,195 times
I never really wanted kids. They are noisy, dirty and high maintenance. And apparently my feeling that you can never get rid of them is true. I see all kinds of people who have their adult children living with them, with their grandchildren, or, they are raising the grandchildren, or they are always bailing them out of financial trouble (IMO bad parenting, but what do I know). So I am so happy that I never had kids.
People used to ask me whether I thought that was a selfish attitude to have (really????) I would explain that selfish is what happens AFTER you have them and all you do is complain, or leave them with nannies all day, while you continue to try to have your 'before baby' life. No thanks.
On the other hand, I do have an unruly Australian Cattle Dog, but I can throw him in the yard or put him on the wire if he gets on my nerves

Old 07-27-2018, 11:05 AM

4,009 posts, read 6,868,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I live in NYC, the majority of women I attract are 30 something educated women regardless of race. All of these women focus on their career first, or focus on social justice and feminism and put children on the back burner for later. But when they reach 35 they are hustling to find a partner. By 35 it becomes difficult for women to try and have kids unless they upkeep their health with proper diet and exercise which plenty of women do not practice.
It isn't so much about diet and exercise at that age, but the body clock. A woman is born with a finite amount of eggs. The eggs not used each month are naturally expelled, and as a woman ages, remaining eggs become less viable. That is why older women have more trouble conceiving.

With that said, being over or underweight can lead to complications which make it harder to conceive, but that's a separate issue from why some women suddenly rush to have babies in their 30.

Old 07-27-2018, 11:09 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,378,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post
It isn't so much about diet and exercise at that age, but the body clock. A woman is born with a finite amount of eggs. The eggs not used each month are naturally expelled, and as a woman ages, remaining eggs become less viable. That is why older women have more trouble conceiving.

With that said, being over or underweight can lead to complications which make it harder to conceive, but that's a separate issue from why some women suddenly rush to have babies in their 30.
Thank you for posting this. It's like nobody paid attention in high school health class.

Old 07-27-2018, 11:11 AM

7,474 posts, read 7,037,280 times
Kids are expensive, and people increasingly cannot afford "expensive" in their lives.

The price of having them continues to increase faster than inflation or income. Kids require higher education (vastly more expensive than it used to be), more healthcare (again, expensive and increasing faster than inflation), and larger housing (housing prices are back to "insane" in most places in the nation that have jobs.) Oh, and job security continues to be terrible; while it's not as bad as it was during the Great Recession, it's still not great.

Kids may be great, if you're into that, but the simple reality is that they are increasingly unaffordable.

Old 07-27-2018, 11:15 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,579,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Yet the countries with the largest safety nets and strong social welfare have lower fertility rates.

The poorest countries, without safety nets and social welfare, have the highest global fertility rates.
The size of the family is perhaps the only source of accomplishment they have.
good points.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies