Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2018, 08:55 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,278,266 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post
No, you don't.

I get my groceries delivered about 30-50% of the time nowadays (I've got 3 preschool aged children and trying to do a big shop devolves quickly!) and I have never been asked.

I've even done grocery pickup with the Walmart service where they come out to your car, and their policy is to only ID if you're making an alcohol purchase.

With that said, when my husband was in the military, yes, we needed IDs for the commissary.

99% of the time at other local grocery stores though, no ID unless I'm purchasing alcohol, which is almost never nowadays.

He's not ahead of his time... he's probably never set foot in a grocery store to actually buy groceries.
You may not show an ID right then and there but to get that privilege you showed ID to someone at some point. How do you think your ATM card goes through?

Old 08-01-2018, 08:56 AM

89,029 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
No, I get it. It's a bad analogy.

If what he says doesn't hold true for purchasing groceries, why should it hold true for voting?
It does hold true for buying groceries. I have to show my ID every single time, as I've already explained (including why that is).

Old 08-01-2018, 08:56 AM

10,920 posts, read 6,912,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Cash exists, but most people don't use cash to buy groceries. Cash is only used to pay for 23.1% of grocery sales. Credit/debit card or check payments are used for 69.3% of grocery sales, hence the much increased incidence of having to show one's photo ID.

http://www.nationalgrocers.org/docs/...k.pdf?sfvrsn=0

I don't know why you're telling me this.

The fact of the matter is if it doesn't hold true for buying groceries in all situations, then it is a bad analogy.

Old 08-01-2018, 08:57 AM

20,111 posts, read 9,023,728 times
Quote:
That's something you need to do to purchase groceries?

And I've never had to do that for any loyalty programs. If I was required to do that and didn't have my ID on me, I'd simply purchase the goods sans loyalty program. Guess what, I'd still walk out the door with my goods.
your loyalty card when used identifies you..... if you don't use one and pay cash, sure you don't have to show ID

Old 08-01-2018, 08:58 AM

Quote:
No, I get it. It's a bad analogy.

If what he says doesn't hold true for purchasing groceries, why should it hold true for voting?

Goodness... Do people not understand how analogies are supposed to work???
Keep taking him literally. It's conversational and everybody gets it. I don't want politicians who have to look down at their notes to say Good Morning everybody.

9,701 posts, read 5,113,905 times
Quote:
Cash exists, but most people don't use cash to buy groceries. Cash is only used to pay for 23.1% of grocery sales. Credit/debit card or check payments are used for 69.3% of grocery sales, hence the much increased incidence of having to show one's photo ID.

http://www.nationalgrocers.org/docs/...k.pdf?sfvrsn=0
You MIGHT need to show ID to use a check, if it's even accepted. You MIGHT need to show ID if you use a debit/credit card, even though it's rare. You absolutely DO NOT, under any circumstances, need ID to buy bread, eggs, milk ie groceries

Quote:
It does hold true for buying groceries. I have to show my ID every single time, as I've already explained (including why that is).
But you don't have to. You choose to buy with a CC. That is your choice. You can walk out that door with your goods sans ID if you just use cash.

It seems like people aren't understanding why this was a terrible analogy.

If it doesn't hold true across the board for grocery purchasing, it doesn't work for voting.

Come on, people! Let's remember the point of Trump's analogy...

Old 08-01-2018, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
your loyalty card when used identifies you..... if you don't use one and pay cash, sure you don't have to show ID
And you have illustrated why it's a bad analogy.

And I've never had to show ID for any loyalty program. Don't know what to tell you.

Old 08-01-2018, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
If Trump is wrong in 1 out of a 100 cases, then he is wrong 100%. They keep using it since it has worked out for them so well.

Old 08-01-2018, 09:01 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,488,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Yesterday, I bought a bag of shrimp, a loaf of fresh bread, some cream, straw berries, ice cream, bell peppers, garlic, some lemons, white wine for deglazing and linguine and nobody asked for my ID.

They just asked if they could come over for dinner.

Trump is not invited.

according to the law, they were supposed to ask you for ID to prove that you are old enough to buy that wine
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies