Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2018, 07:17 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Comments on news stories are almost always stupid.

Having said that, some people have come to be irritated that the knee jerk response to any tragedy or difficulty is "Prayers." It's seen as a do-nothing platitude whose only purpose is to make the poster feel better about the situation.

"1,000 houses have been destroyed in the biggest fire in the history of California."

"Prayers."

Pray or don't pray, but posting "prayers" is useless and can be quite annoying depending on the context.
Exactly. It makes me feel like those folks saw the story headline, felt like the "good Christian" thing was to say SOMETHING and if all you're gonna do is type "prayers" and never even read the article at all, you're not really praying for those people... you're giving lip service.

Or type service, as it were.

I mean, that is what it looks like... nobody knows really.

Old 08-02-2018, 07:29 AM

50,288 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Some have such a miserable existence they find negative in everything. Just ignore them and know that most people are good people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2018, 07:33 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,752,145 times
My thoughts and prayers go out to all those people who get triggered by people saying thoughts and prayers.

Old 08-02-2018, 07:35 AM

19,718 posts, read 10,124,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
I agree to a certain extent, but have you noticed in recent years that more and more of the country is being affected by fires, floods, and hurricanes? The "wrong place" is quickly becoming everyplace. I used to be upset that people would build out in the forest, in places that were prone to fire. Now there are fires sweeping though long established cities. Now floods and high rain totals are taking out many areas that were not considered flood prone before, not to mention sea level rising. Climate change coming home to all of us.
The fires are worse because they now stop the small fires that burn the underbrush. So now when a fire gets away, it has a lot more fuel.

Old 08-02-2018, 07:38 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,760,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
I have noticed more and more on news sites that allow comments to articles, anytime someone offers prayers to something bad happening , like right now the California fires there are a certain amount of commenters who get hostile and call the other commenter foolish and and say *********your prayers and your fake "sky god" and on and on.

So what's up with that hostility? Someone in good heart just wants to offer prayer on behalf that things get better and they get pounded in hostility for it?

If you don't believe fine, but is there a need to get in someone's "face" and tell them how they are stupid and so on? Seems like those that do so have a chip on their shoulder.
Because 100s of kids and teachers are killed in school by assault weapons and all they offer is "thoughts and prayers".

Old 08-02-2018, 07:51 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeisbol View Post
None of your nearly 20,000 posts here on CD are you telling people they are wrong about stuff
Not once, in all of those posts, have I ever told someone that politics doesn't exist. Nor have I ever stated that a forum should not be on here because pets don't exist, employment doesn't exist, cars don't exist, relationships don't exist, etc.

You're trying to have a jab at me but failed because you are comparing apples to lamp shades.

Old 08-02-2018, 07:52 AM

7,447 posts, read 2,833,471 times
No one upset over this cares to address the fact that the bible specifically forbids this kind of "prayer"?

Old 08-02-2018, 07:57 AM

50,288 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
Because 100s of kids and teachers are killed in school by assault weapons and all they offer is "thoughts and prayers".
Baloney, many cities are putting in armed police and high fences. You know, things that actually work.

Here is what lip service does, install a ban. That bans nothing.

Old 08-02-2018, 08:03 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzSnorlax View Post
No one upset over this cares to address the fact that the bible specifically forbids this kind of "prayer"?
I'm not "upset" over this, I just think it's stupid for a so called atheist to attack someone who says "God bless this (whatever)" or anything similar.

As for the Bible...I don't follow the Bible. I'm agnostic. But whenever someone attacks Christians, I think of my mom. She's very much a believer, and the nasty things that some so called atheists say to Christians, (not any other religious group, of course, just the Christians), makes me feel protective simply because I don't want my mom to be on the receiving end of something like that.

I would assume you are correct, however, because what I do remember from the times I was forced to go to church as a kid was that we weren't to boast about our religion, or act like we were better. And we weren't supposed to tell everyone any good deed that we did, because it was between us and God. Frankly, I think that's the way it should be, but I'm certainly not going to attack someone in a comments section or on social media for saying "You're in my prayers" or "God was watching out for you that day", or whatever. It doesn't even matter. Who cares if they say it, who cares if they mean it, who cares if they are doing it for "likes". Who. Cares.

I know that people who say things like, 'I wish I could help but....." are full of it. But I don't go around and attack people for saying it. I know they're full of sheets, and that's all that matters. Talk about absolute bs. It's saying, "I want to come across as caring, but I don't really give a flying rat's behind enough to do anything about it." What would me barking at them in comments change? Nothing. So who cares if they say it.

Last edited by Three Wolves In Snow; 08-02-2018 at 08:13 AM..

Old 08-02-2018, 08:09 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Prayers aren’t working. Those of us that point this out make you angry because we’re telling the truth.

Knock of the sending of “thoughts and prayers” and do something about the problem.
In this particular example its a wildfire. Not much most people can do physically to help. I'm not sure why you assume a person praying isn't also doing something. Perhaps they do donate money or they donate to their church who in turn makes donations of money and or supplies or even actually sends volunteers if needed.

And for the record most religious people who offer pray do believe prayer helps. You may not but if they truly believe it whats the harm. At least they believe they are helping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies