Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2018, 08:08 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,624,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
My "faux outrage" comes directly from my experience going through cancer. Prayers were a way for the person speaking to me to center themselves in the situation and make themselves feel better while doing precious little to help me in a time I desperately needed help, and often simply didn't get the support I needed. Friends in California right now express similar opinions, regardless of their religious beliefs.

Saying thoughts and prayers is similar - it's performative.

We can all do something about huge tragedies. We can give to causes that speak to us, share resources to give time or money, or just keep our mouths shut.
Sorry you went through that. When my wife went through cancer we had a ton of people cooking and helping out with the kids and in a number of other ways. And they always said they were praying for us.

Then again, we were always helping other people whenever we could before our own nightmare began, so maybe that was also part of it.

Everyone is different. My faith and prayers got me through. If people want to pee on that, it says more about them as human beings than it could ever say about me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2018, 08:37 PM

30,267 posts, read 23,751,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
That's easy for you to say... but if the presidential candidate you voted for had lost two years ago, which turned your world permanently, unequivocally, and completely upside down, well... you'd feel differently!
Your comment doesn't even make any sense in regards to this topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
This is some subpar armchair psychology. I'm pretty sure they're not "threatened," they just think it's nonsense, like attributing the rescue to Santa Claus or something. Plus, it's often got potentially disturbing implications when you think about it, like God was all "uhhhh, no" to the prayers of, say, all the other people with dying babies or whatever. Like the Lord said to himself, "I'm gonna keep a close eye on little Becky here, but young Mark can go die in a fire. Literally."
It's basic Psychology 101. Let me put it this way: "Methinks thou doth protest too much." It's very telling of what these people are like - low self esteem, unsure, low confidence. If someone wrote comments stating it was Santa Claus, because I firmly believe it wasn't Santa Claus, I wouldn't even waste my time as I have no reason to try to prove anything to a random stranger on the internet in some comment section. Santa Claus does not exist, but if they wish to believe that he does, what do I care?

Old 08-01-2018, 08:55 PM

25,776 posts, read 18,834,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
This is some subpar armchair psychology. I'm pretty sure they're not "threatened," they just think it's nonsense, like attributing the rescue to Santa Claus or something. Plus, it's often got potentially disturbing implications when you think about it, like God was all "uhhhh, no" to the prayers of, say, all the other people with dying babies or whatever. Like the Lord said to himself, "I'm gonna keep a close eye on little Becky here, but young Mark can go die in a fire. Literally."
Remember, there is no god for them--so your scenario shouldn't be disturbing in the least to them since it is impossible. It shouldn't be any more disturbing that auntie Sara claiming she is going to snap her fingers, turn into a polar bear, sprout wings and fly, after having too much to drink.

Look at it this way: if someone came up to me and said they were going to put a voodoo curse on me with the doll and all that, I would not be disturbed by that in the least because I don't believe in it. BUT, it probably would (and only would) disturb a practitioner of voodoo or someone who believes in it.

Old 08-01-2018, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Your comment doesn't even make any sense in regards to this topic.
Well excuse me for trying to add an occasional bit of humor for *someone* (not you, obviously). It wasn't supposed to make sense.

Old 08-01-2018, 09:36 PM

30,267 posts, read 23,751,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Well excuse me for trying to add an occasional bit of humor for *someone* (not you, obviously). It wasn't supposed to make sense.
I have no idea what you're trying to say. What does the election have to do with someone leaving comments about prayers? I clearly missed the joke...and explaining it will make it unfunny, but again, I have no idea what you're trying to say.

Old 08-01-2018, 09:39 PM

3,564 posts, read 1,924,330 times
Quote:
It's basic Psychology 101. Let me put it this way: "Methinks thou doth protest too much." It's very telling of what these people are like - low self esteem, unsure, low confidence. If someone wrote comments stating it was Santa Claus, because I firmly believe it wasn't Santa Claus, I wouldn't even waste my time as I have no reason to try to prove anything to a random stranger on the internet in some comment section. Santa Claus does not exist, but if they wish to believe that he does, what do I care?
None of your nearly 20,000 posts here on CD are you telling people they are wrong about stuff

Old 08-01-2018, 09:42 PM

Quote:
I have no idea what you're trying to say. What does the election have to do with someone leaving comments about prayers? I clearly missed the joke...and explaining it will make it unfunny, but again, I have no idea what you're trying to say.
It has to do with another topic that comes up here way too often... but, you are right, explaining a joke's intent is almost never helpful. So, back to our regularly scheduled discussion...

Old 08-01-2018, 11:00 PM

7,447 posts, read 2,836,240 times
I don't get why someone who takes their faith seriously would go explicitly against the clear instructions of their holy book in order to make a throwaway social media post that everyones eyes are just going to glaze over as they scroll past it anyway. Like it expressly forbids doing things like this in the bible, directly from the mouth of none other than jesus christ himself.

Oh but just thunk of the likes you'll get though!

Like a bizzarre catch 22 apparently the most vocal and showy about praying are ironically the ones who don't even know what it says in their own holy book.

Old 08-01-2018, 11:27 PM

You know, I'll bet "have a nice day" will soon be taken as a useless insult, just as "you look nice today" has become sexual harassment.

Old 08-01-2018, 11:37 PM

3,163 posts, read 1,727,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Mainly it's the hypocrisy of saying "Thank God", "God heard your prayers", or "God spared you" while "he" wreaks havoc and death on those around you.
It was “God’s wheel”
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies