Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2021, 03:54 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,170,612 times

Advertisements

As I have been saying all along, no virus can be eradicated if it has a non-human reservoir. We are not going to euthanize all of America’s deer, nor are we going to vaccinate then all. The virus will mutate in the deer, just like it did the Danish minks, and come back in a new variant. We have to learn how to effectively treat this disease, we are not going to be able to vaccinate it away.

Quote:
If the virus has opportunities to find an alternate host besides humans, which we would call a reservoir, that will create a safe haven where the virus can continue to circulate even if the entire human population becomes immune," he says. "And so it becomes more and more complicated to manage or even eradicate the virus."

In the study, Kuchipudi and his colleagues looked for the presence of the SARS-CoV-2 virus in the lymph nodes of nearly 300 white-tailed deer, including more than 100 wild deer. "So these deer were either roadkill or free-living deer that hunters had killed [to eat]," says veterinary microbiologist Vivek Kapur at Penn State, who also co-led the study.
Quote:
Now veterinarians at Pennsylvania State University have found active SARS-CoV-2 infections in at least 30% of deer tested across Iowa during 2020. Their study, published online last week, suggests that white-tailed deer could become what's known as a reservoir for SARS-CoV-2. That is, the animals could carry the virus indefinitely and spread it back to humans periodically.
How SARS-CoV-2 in American deer could alter the course of the global pandemic

Old 11-11-2021, 03:58 PM

27,656 posts, read 16,147,064 times
This is disgusting news. Whoever manipulated this needs to be torn apart on the world stage. Also, how did deer contract this? At the daycare, school or workplace?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2021, 03:58 PM

1,523 posts, read 1,861,320 times
Superb news. I am vegetarian, so the deer like me and will tell the virus to avoid me.

Old 11-11-2021, 04:03 PM

2,770 posts, read 2,605,764 times
Guess we better mask up the deer population.

Old 11-11-2021, 04:08 PM

6,829 posts, read 2,119,303 times
When these vaccines actually work to slow transmission between people, we can worry about the deer lol.

For now, worrying about animal reservoirs is like worrying about paying taxes on your lottery winnings after you just bought a ticket

Old 11-11-2021, 04:14 PM

3,187 posts, read 1,510,539 times
The article states that it can spread "explosively" in deer. It may not be long before it happens in other species. Below are the known Covid animal hosts so far. First confirmed pet dog in UK has it.

I agree. This is something we need to treat and live with. It simply can't be vaccinated away. The writing is on the wall.

The list of animals which have been infected includes:

big cats in captivity
domestic cats
dogs
ferrets
fruit bats
mink
non-human primates
pangolins
pigs
raccoon dogs
rodents
white-tailed deer

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-59246304

Old 11-11-2021, 04:14 PM

16,759 posts, read 8,220,852 times
Yearly covid shot to go along with a flu shot. Not a big deal.

Old 11-11-2021, 05:35 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,170,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
Yearly covid shot to go along with a flu shot. Not a big deal.
Neither of which should be mandated for the general public.

Old 11-11-2021, 05:40 PM

26,509 posts, read 15,088,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
This is disgusting news. Whoever manipulated this needs to be torn apart on the world stage. Also, how did deer contract this? At the daycare, school or workplace?
There are petting zoos with fawns and deer parks with deer that often have fences next to forests. Moreover sometimes deer are let loose from them or brought in from the wild.

I can easily see this spreading to deer.

Especially if deer and cats are getting it.

Old 11-11-2021, 05:41 PM

10,873 posts, read 4,551,006 times
deer = rodents. shoot them all. park in my driveway and tag out (im in 2F - 4 per customer!) Chad & Dads will chop em up for $75 each.

(can you tell I hate deer?)

And worse than deer covid, is CWD. eat one of those and you will die painfully screaming at the top of your lungs, all brain function gone (friend of my brothers died from that, horrible)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies