Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2018, 11:13 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,488,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
Only members of the military or law enforcement can possess firearms.
...the RIGHT of the PEOPLE shall not be INFRINGED

Quote:
When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government. – Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826), US Founding Father, drafted the Declaration of Independence, 3rd US President of the United States
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2018, 11:21 AM

18,161 posts, read 15,632,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
I would just clarify the intent of the founding fathers by adding the following:

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State".

Oh wait, that is already clearly stated, and yet people want to ignore it, and act like it is not there, to meet their own agendas.

Probably not much you can do to make people see things any other way than "the way they want to see it".

The term "well regulated" in the context used in the 2A means "well eguipped and proficient." Modern leftists take it to mean overseen by government. So, I suppose I would eliminate said confusion and state it as "A well equipped and proficient militia being necessary to the security and order of a free state, the RIGHT of the People to keep and bear modern and effective weapons shall NOT be infringed upon by the central or community governments in any way, shape or form."

Old 08-09-2018, 12:01 PM

7,511 posts, read 4,355,916 times
Quote:
Only members of the military or law enforcement can possess firearms.
Brilliant! Why would law enforcement need firearms if nobody else could possess them? Oh that's right the criminals would still have them. How stupid of me.

Given the fact that law enforcement agencies need firearms to protect themselves from criminals and the police only arrive after a crime was committed. It stands to reason that civilians would need them even more as they are always the victims. Other than maybe being ambushed it's not very often that a uniformed police officer would get mugged on the street.

Last edited by Ex New Yorker; 08-09-2018 at 12:18 PM..

Old 08-09-2018, 12:13 PM

4,944 posts, read 2,941,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
Oh that's right the criminals would still have them. How stupid of me.
Do you walk around paranoid that criminals are out to get you?

Old 08-09-2018, 12:22 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,498,932 times
Quote:
Nope. But they'll have the means of defense should the occasion arise, and not have to tell a criminal "time out! Wait! The cops are coming!"

Old 08-09-2018, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Do you have a fire extinguisher in your home? If so, do you sit around paranoid that your house may burn down?

Do you wear a seat belt while driving? If so, are you paranoid that you might get into an accident?

Do you look both ways before you cross the street? If so, are you paranoid you might get hit by a car?

Do you dress accordingly before going out in a blizzard? If so, are you paranoid that you might freeze to death?

Do you wear sunscreen? If so are, you paranoid you might get sunburn?

Do you use insect repellent? If so, are you paranoid you might get eaten alive by disease bearing mosquito's?

Do you check to see if you have a life preserver handy while out on a boat? If so, are you paranoid of drowning?

Do you keep your distance from a hornet's nest? If so, are you paranoid that you might get stung?

Do you keep your distance from an angry growling dog? If so, are you paranoid he might take a piece out of you?

Anymore stupid questions?

Old 08-09-2018, 01:11 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,488,320 times
Quote:
do you sit there in the land of unicorns and rainbows thinking that there are no criminals, and everybody sings kumbaya

Old 08-09-2018, 01:23 PM

19,029 posts, read 14,209,414 times
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, in the manner in which they see fit, shall not be infringed. All male citizens, between the age of 17 and 45, are the Militia. And the Militia may be regulated in the manner in which they bear arms. But no citizen shall be eligible to vote nor hold public office before performing no less than 4 years of militia duty.
. . .

I wouldn't object to the removal of "male" and include female citizens in the militia.

Old 08-09-2018, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
Nope. But they'll have the means of defense should the occasion arise, and not have to tell a criminal "time out! Wait! The cops are coming!"
These people are living in a fairy tale world, if they think that they're 100% immune from a criminal attack. I just pray to God that someday they are, a violent one. Let them call 911 and see how good that will do?

Myself? I just happen to like guns. I like collecting them, I love working on them, I love shooting them and yes I do carry them. But I am not terrified that I might get into an accident otherwise I wouldn't drive. Which by the way you stand a better chance of getting into other than a criminal assault. It's better to be armed and never have to use it, than be unarmed when you do.

But the most important thing to me is in preserving our Constitutional Republic from self righteous amoral busybodies who feel it's their calling in life to dictate to others how they should live their lives.

Quote:
Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron’s cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. They may be more likely to go to Heaven yet at the same time likelier to make a Hell of earth. Their very kindness stings with intolerable insult. To be ‘cured’ against one’s will and cured of states which we may not regard as disease is to be put on a level of those who have not yet reached the age of reason or those who never will; to be classed with infants, imbeciles, and domestic animals.
—C. S. Lewis, “God in the Dock”

"The law has been used to destroy it's own objective; It has been applied to annihilating the justice that it was supposed to maintain; to limiting and destroying rights which it's real purpose was to respect. The law has placed the collective force at the disposal of the unscrupulous who wish, without risk, to exploit the person, liberty, and property of others. It has converted plunder into a right in order to protect plunder. And it has converted lawful defense into a crime, in order to punish lawful defense." "But it is also true that a man may live and satisfy his wants by seizing and consuming the products of the labor of others. This process is the origin of plunder." --- The Law by Frederic Bastiat (1801-1850) French economist, statesman

Old 08-09-2018, 01:46 PM

662 posts, read 313,416 times
Not sure how I would word it, but it would help today if it clarified what "arms" one can bear without having the government infringe.
Of course, some people think it obviously means guns, but it doesn't. It says what it means, arms. That right has been infringed and nobody in their right mind would want all arms open for individual ownership. There are at least a few hundred Americans that could actually afford their own nukes. Not to mention ballistic missiles, anti-aircraft weapons, etc.
If you believe the 2nd amendment should not be infringed, you should be lobbying for people's right to buy nukes and weapons of warfare, not just Glocks and Winchesters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies