Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2018, 05:24 PM

8,123 posts, read 12,859,376 times

Advertisements

If I had my way an inmate sentenced to death and given the chance to appeal would not have a "last meal" nor would they sit on death row for decades. Right after the appeal fails they would be put down humanely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2018, 05:46 PM

709 posts, read 658,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
No one should have the right to take the life of another outside of direct self defense.

I agree. Full stop.

This criminal, assuming he is guilty, is not worthy of living. However, the government making that choice gives me more trepidation than this guy living a complete life.

Old 08-09-2018, 06:52 PM

47,038 posts, read 26,131,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EuropeanLoyalist View Post
She defended his right to not be "tortured". She is SICK! He deserves to be tortured....by the parents of that child.
I could have sworn there was some sort of important document that banned cruel and usual punishment. But when a towering intellect like yours speak up in favor, I guess I have to conclude that I'm mistaken.

Old 08-09-2018, 06:53 PM

47,038 posts, read 26,131,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rso092 View Post
This criminal, assuming he is guilty, is not worthy of living. However, the government making that choice gives me more trepidation than this guy living a complete life.
That's put it pretty well.

Old 08-09-2018, 06:57 PM

3,564 posts, read 1,932,766 times
Venn Diagram: people who are against the government providing health care and people who are pro death penalty

Old 08-09-2018, 06:58 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,762,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
Me before reading the article -- I bet Sotomayor didn't actually defend the child killer/rapist but spoke against the death penalty instead.

Me after reading the article -- Yep. I was right.
Civilized nations hung them on the town square after church, Sunday High Noon.
It was so civilized it showed the entire crowd watching, what happens to you when you murder.
It was neither cruel, or unusual. Still to this day it is not cruel or unusual.
It has only been denied for less than 100 years. They hung people for crimes, for 1000's of years.

Old 08-09-2018, 08:02 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,622,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Civilized nations hung them on the town square after church, Sunday High Noon.
It was so civilized it showed the entire crowd watching, what happens to you when you murder.
It was neither cruel, or unusual. Still to this day it is not cruel or unusual.
It has only been denied for less than 100 years. They hung people for crimes, for 1000's of years.
Yes they did, but did it stop the crimes from happening again? Nope, people still committed the same crimes after others were hung for it for 100's of years.

Old 08-09-2018, 08:25 PM

38,650 posts, read 26,451,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Oh?

Please do post factual examples of people joyfully killing babies.

HINT: By definition, fetuses ARE NOT babies!
Without immediately encountering glaring inconsistencies, the biological definition of a fetus cannot be anything but a living human child.

The same Supreme Court that decided fetuses were not persons had previously decided African slaves were property of their owner, i.e., not persons.

This is what happens when the state is allowed to decide who is or is not a person.

https://www.history.com/topics/black...red-scott-case

Old 08-10-2018, 08:50 AM

5,937 posts, read 4,713,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
Me before reading the article -- I bet Sotomayor didn't actually defend the child killer/rapist but spoke against the death penalty instead.

Me after reading the article -- Yep. I was right.
My sentiments exactly. I think the key thing here is that Sotomayor (I'm guessing) is simply against the death penalty in its current form. This had less to do with what the guy did and more about the manner in which he would be executed.

Personally, I've been against the death penalty for decades. People have done horrible terrible things. Leave them in jail to rot. Honestly, I'd think that more conservatives would be against the death penalty. Given that in their own Code of Ethics (aka The Bible) - if you take it at face value, Jesus rejects the Code of the Hammurabi (an eye for an eye). I mean, they want to go around cherry picking things like Leviticus and other nonsense to prove that homosexuality is wrong or really anything they don't like is wrong.

However, one of the oft quoted tenets of christianity is thoroughly ignored when it comes to the death penalty. The hypocrisy is not lost on me. Personally, I'm not christian. But I do find it very delicious when people that claim they are holier than me due to their belief system simply ignore the tenets of said belief system when it suits their needs.

Old 08-10-2018, 08:55 AM

79,908 posts, read 44,351,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Without immediately encountering glaring inconsistencies, the biological definition of a fetus cannot be anything but a living human child.
I am pro-life. This is off topic so I will not reply past this. This is not the biological definition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies