Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2018, 10:35 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,706,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
PS--I posted this before I saw that reply you posted--
Didn't want to delete and have it wasted--
But I am really angry at the media who is creating this animosity toward the Judge's decision because the media wants that outrage to pull readership
These stories exacerbate two things--our distrust of the legal system and (eventually) our distrust of MEDIA--
They are their own worst enemies at times...and anyone who has read my posts know I don't usually say that...

1--the judge is female

2-she is paid by the state
She is a district court judge for state of AZ--not a Federal level judge

3--I read the only charges they face are child abuse
That is a much lower threshold of a charge than terrorism or murder

4--I too was upset at how she managed the hearing BUT

5-the burden of proof is on THE PROSECUTION/LEOS to show these people ARE a threat

6--they were not CHARGED as threats to the nation--
They were charged as threats to those kids who are now in custody and out of harm (we hope)

7--if the law enforcement side that caught them and charged them can't come up with THEIR side's obligation to show intent/threat--then the judge has no choice but to set bail as appropriate to the charges

8--IF THE JUDGE decided on HER authority to set a much higher bail they could not meet or to have them bound over in custody w/o bail, their attorneys would have appealed that decision to a higher court and likely won the same type of bail conditions that the judge set

9--IF WE ALL THINK THEY ARE DANGEROUS, then it is the LEOs who have to provide PROOF that they are--
At least enough proof (not magical thinking) that there is justifiable reason to bind them over

10--the IRONY of all our outrage is that
a) we likely didn't pay attention to the charging documents because that was not easily found in the newspapers--they just went for the outrage factor to catch readers' attention,
And b) giving them a harsher bail or jail before trial would have been the same violation of the law that conservatives accuse Mueller and the FBI of doing--prosecuting Trump w/o legitimate evidence...
Excellent points.

It's unfortunate that the media wants to focus on one alleged statement that might be construed as future terrorism when the actual charges are heinous enough on their own.

There is no shortage of child abuse in this country that should merit widespread reportage and that could, if actually addressed, go a long way towards reducing all sorts of ills but it seems that the media and the public at large are now programmed to respond to terrorism rather than the more mundane evils of our society and anything for ratings, so...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2018, 10:44 AM

46,963 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh View Post
Pick them up and take them to Guantanamo. That is the risk of taking something like this to court.
Special Courts and Special Camps for Special Criminals has some very unfortunate historical precedents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
Judge Backus, who has had a history of issuing low bail amounts to violent offenders, is a former San Francisco public defender. This is inexcusable; child abuse is one thing, but any individual(s) who train and encourage children to commit acts of terrorism don't belong in this country, and they should be held without bail.
Were the defendants charged with terrorism or planned terrorism? No? That's on the DA and LEOs.

You do not want judges who go out and do their own investigation or assign bail based on what they read in the paper. You really don't.

Old 08-14-2018, 11:06 AM

15,531 posts, read 10,504,683 times
Hopefully the prosecutor will charge them with murder or manslaughter. The dad might be charged with kidnapping across state lines too (that area is a little fuzzy, don't know who had custody). Anyway, they have a dead three year old and I expect they will proceed with other charges. No offense to my New Mexican friends , but their state prosecutors probably aren't very good.

Old 08-14-2018, 11:17 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,615,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Because a judge does something you disagree with that means there is something wrong with our judges? What about the other 2000 judges that placed bail on a defendant on that day?
This is rich, coming from someone who always posts that the cops are wrong no matter what the scenario is.

Old 08-14-2018, 11:20 AM

12,601 posts, read 7,229,051 times
11 counts of child abuse, 1 dead kid, ties to terrorism and they just walk out of jail.

They should have been black with some weed on them, that would have kept them in there.

Old 08-14-2018, 11:24 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogue Mahone View Post
Law enforcement has characterized the two men and three women as Muslim extremists and said a child associated with the group had reported that they were preparing to conduct school shootings.

Not sure why we're leaving this bit out. This isn't garden variety child neglect here.

Considering there was dead body of a child found on the grounds even if were to completely ignore the terrorism aspects I still understand why bail would be so low in this case.

Old 08-14-2018, 12:43 PM

15,531 posts, read 10,504,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Considering there was dead body of a child found on the grounds even if were to completely ignore the terrorism aspects I still understand why bail would be so low in this case.
I would think that the dad would be a flight risk.

Old 08-14-2018, 12:43 PM

28,897 posts, read 30,274,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
There is a problem with liberal judges. We had a case in the Spring where a loser with 130 priors for things like assault, drugs, illegal guns and anger issues where he liked to beat up people, serious crimes, was let off again and again because his lawyer knew what judges to pick to have a bench trial every time this loser got into trouble. In the Spring a group of cops were serving yet another warrant on this guy and he shot one of them in the head killing him.

We had another loser with many priors shoot 2 cops but they will survive.

Time and again we have seen these liberal judges be lenient on hard core career criminals. WHY? is it that the jails are full and they are told by to cut these losers free? They don't seem to care that they are letting dangerous people back out on the streets.

What I don't understand is how a loser terrorist that tried to take down the world trade center building in 93 is not in prison and still allowed to live in the USA ?

The tolerance and charity displayed here is insane and look at the results.

If this loser had his way we would have been once again looking at a school shooting where innocent children were slaughtered and people would be wondering why it happens.
I wonder why this person is still here myself?

I wonder even more, why Americans aren't raising holy Hell about this? Are they alive, awake, what in the world is going on in this country....?

people don't care....they don't....they ought to be screaming at Washington, to get these people and put them away for good.

Old 08-14-2018, 12:54 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,603,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I wonder why this person is still here myself?

I wonder even more, why Americans aren't raising holy Hell about this? Are they alive, awake, what in the world is going on in this country....?

people don't care....they don't....they ought to be screaming at Washington, to get these people and put them away for good.
People dont care THAT much, they will whine and cry a little bit, but thats about the extent of what they are willing to do nowadays. Even when it comes to those that hate Trump and despise him for what they believe is criminal and illegal...yet none of them are doing anything more than complaining/ whining about it, people have lost that patriotic spirit for the most part.

In the days before the nations founding, THOSE people really cared...and they didnt just complain and whine, they went out and did all kinds of thing, they picked up weapons, formed groups, destroyed property, refused to comply, they were not as concerned for their own personal lives versus the larger nation as a whole, freedom, liberty, etc.

People today are too worried about their own quality of life, they may hate that a judges do this, but NONE of them are willing to actually take risks to stop it.

Old 08-14-2018, 12:55 PM

39,874 posts, read 26,514,597 times
Time for the Feds to get involved, arrest them on federal terrorism charges and lock them up in a dark hole. Heck, investigate them for tax evasion-the penalties are harsher than for violent crimes.

Sadly our criminal "justice" system is a damn joke. Time for old-school "vigilance patrols".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies