Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2018, 07:19 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,650,256 times

Advertisements

It's one of the things that needs to be changed. It's a joke to expect people who protect one another so their criminal behavior isn't uncovered, to do their own internal investigations.

Old 08-17-2018, 07:20 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,980,194 times
I will go one further. Their cases should not be tried by the prosecutors they work with every day.

Old 08-17-2018, 10:18 AM

1,239 posts, read 511,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zengha View Post
This is what I really hate. A cop does something wrong, and the police force itself does the investigation. There is NO WAY they can be fair and balanced. That's like letting a Neo-Nazi who has killed blacks and jews being having an "internal investigation" by a Neo-Nazi organization. It's completely insane! As it is police exist to serve the people in power, not the common people.

One of the reasons I don't feel the least bit bad when I hear someone blows a cops brains out, they work for the evil in charge and constantly get away with all kinds of heinous stuff because of the stupid police culture where cops protect other cops regardless of whatever bad they do, and to those that say "Oh, but there are good cops!" well, if there are all these supposed "good cops" then why aren't they turning in other bad cops?

Why not setup a completely independent third party who, after a complaint, all information and video is sent to them where THEY decide what happens, not the same police force who obviously will always protect their own regardless of whatever bad things said cop does?
I've always wondered the same thing.
Back in the day, movies would portray "Internal Affairs" who wanted nothing but to take down dirty cops, and they were feared. I haven't even seen that trope in a movie in a long time. I think they've about dropped that charade.

I think the problem runs even deeper than that. The DA and the Police work together all the time, but we expect a DA to prosecute a policeman fairly? There needs to be a federal group that deals entirely with prosecutions of police officers, or at minimum, a separate officer within each state office who handles those matters.

Not only would this help create trust from the communities, it would also create jobs. As such, I don't see it ever happening.

Old 08-17-2018, 11:31 AM

2,261 posts, read 1,141,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
I will go one further. Their cases should not be tried by the prosecutors they work with every day.
This is something that people seem to gloss over and its the biggest issue so far, because its the reason the manslaughter and other convictions dont happen.

Old 08-17-2018, 11:38 AM

Quote:
and to those that say "Oh, but there are good cops!" well, if there are all these supposed "good cops" then why aren't they turning in other bad cops?
If you go to McDonalds and the clerk calls you fat, you dont ask theclerk next to him to do something, everyones first reaction is to talk to the manager. Thats how it needs to work with cops.

I believe and have read that it does happen, but its usually on the down low. If departments didnt keep the firings secret (that were reported by other cops) it would bring about issues to the department:
  1. Retaliation by cops from all over - reporter called a rat
  2. Negative Attention to the supervision
  3. Much needed reform

Remember alot of police departments are gangs. They will make life miserable for someone that rats them out, a lot of cops dont have any other skills to start over, and the good guy shouldnt have to find another career because of the bad guys. The real deal is that many of departments arent properly supervised on the streets to weed out more of the bad cops. Not enough citizens file complaints. More citizens need to go to the towns to file complaints and enact changes.
The laws and policies also have to be changed so that the definition of a good cop isnt one that makes a good shoot. A good cop needs to be one that de-escalates the situation successfully, then there would be less people that give the cops a hard time.

Old 08-17-2018, 12:58 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,650,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hemi View Post
If you go to McDonalds and the clerk calls you fat, you dont ask theclerk next to him to do something, everyones first reaction is to talk to the manager. Thats how it needs to work with cops.

I believe and have read that it does happen, but its usually on the down low. If departments didnt keep the firings secret (that were reported by other cops) it would bring about issues to the department:
  1. Retaliation by cops from all over - reporter called a rat
  2. Negative Attention to the supervision
  3. Much needed reform

Remember alot of police departments are gangs. They will make life miserable for someone that rats them out, a lot of cops dont have any other skills to start over, and the good guy shouldnt have to find another career because of the bad guys. The real deal is that many of departments arent properly supervised on the streets to weed out more of the bad cops. Not enough citizens file complaints. More citizens need to go to the towns to file complaints and enact changes.
The laws and policies also have to be changed so that the definition of a good cop isnt one that makes a good shoot. A good cop needs to be one that de-escalates the situation successfully, then there would be less people that give the cops a hard time.
Thugs with government issued guns and badges, Harry. Former bullies or former nerds who were bullied.

It's like priesthood being the perfect place for a pedophile to hide.

Old 08-17-2018, 05:17 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,152,534 times
Quote:
This is what I really hate. A cop does something wrong, and the police force itself does the investigation. There is NO WAY they can be fair and balanced. That's like letting a Neo-Nazi who has killed blacks and jews being having an "internal investigation" by a Neo-Nazi organization. It's completely insane! As it is police exist to serve the people in power, not the common people.

One of the reasons I don't feel the least bit bad when I hear someone blows a cops brains out, they work for the evil in charge and constantly get away with all kinds of heinous stuff because of the stupid police culture where cops protect other cops regardless of whatever bad they do, and to those that say "Oh, but there are good cops!" well, if there are all these supposed "good cops" then why aren't they turning in other bad cops?

Why not setup a completely independent third party who, after a complaint, all information and video is sent to them where THEY decide what happens, not the same police force who obviously will always protect their own regardless of whatever bad things said cop does?
Love this question. And why do police department continue to encourage a buddy system, instead of an honor system? And why are cops always backed up by their union, no matter what? And why are so many cops allowed to stay on, despite bad records? And why do so many cops get acquitted when the evidence is clearly against them?

Old 08-17-2018, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Thugs with government issued guns and badges, Harry. Former bullies or former nerds who were bullied.

It's like priesthood being the perfect place for a pedophile to hide.
I stopped looking at the cops themselves and started looking above their heads. If they are allowed to do it, it means the town made the policies that way and only changes them when they pop up on the radar. Lackluster supervision, or thats how the supervisors like them.

Then people dont pay attention after things get done.. like how people protest for a cop to get fired, but then dont pay attention when he gets rehired on the force. Its Americas 3 day attention span.

Old 08-17-2018, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
1. why do police department continue to encourage a buddy system, instead of an honor system?
2. why are cops always backed up by their union, no matter what?
3. why are so many cops allowed to stay on, despite bad records?
4. why do so many cops get acquitted when the evidence is clearly against them?
1. Honor only counts within the policies, many things you see on video are within policy, which the townspeople have to make an effort to change.

2. The union needs $$ dues, and then has to earn them!

3. Chiefs cant always fire them, reasons include union involvement, nepotism, political reasons, or just not enough evidence. We dont hear about it, but cops to report other cops.

4. When cops are in court being tried by the prosecutors that they work with on a daily basis, those prosecutors throw the case because they need the other cops to keep giving them evidence. Otherwise the cops would clam up, the prosecutors cant win cases, and they dont get re-elected. Then juries tend to avoid convicting cops. Its the whole basis for this thread.

Old 08-17-2018, 06:14 PM

8,750 posts, read 3,128,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
A privatized police force would be far worse. So sorry your out of money no protection for you
Based on what evidence?

I have some to refute your claim:

First 'private police force' has caught 400 criminals | Daily Mail Online

San Francisco's Private Police Force | Reason
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies