Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2018, 04:59 PM

2,079 posts, read 4,951,048 times

Advertisements

https://www.theroot.com/crazy-rude-a...for-1828379238

I can't seem to determine if this woman was being spitefully rude and disrespectful towards the guests or if she was intentionally trying to create a racial disturbance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2018, 05:03 PM

5,717 posts, read 3,145,246 times
Racism is a subset of rudeness. They're not mutually exclusive. So you're actual question is "is this a case of racism?".

Old 08-18-2018, 05:21 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,217,006 times
Racism or racist is when a liberal loses an argument.

Old 08-18-2018, 05:28 PM

21,466 posts, read 10,568,098 times
It wasn’t racism, it was just rude drunk attitudeism. Jeez, not everything is about color. The writer acts like it was white supremacy here when we’ve all been subject to this type of behavior.

Old 08-18-2018, 05:56 PM

19,836 posts, read 12,094,775 times
They managed to get her fired. I missed the part where the lady with a glass of wine was loud.

Old 08-18-2018, 06:13 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 5 days ago)

35,620 posts, read 17,948,343 times
This is what happens when people of different cultures bump up against each other.

If you have a place reserved at a restaurant, and someone comes and sits down, you say quietly, oh, sorry, we have this place reserved for the evening. There was clearly shared food on the table; this area was in use by this one group.

The Asian woman and the white guy didn't understand that, didn't know that somehow. It seems unbelievable to me that they're the kind who crash parties - they just didn't know the boundary thing, and saw an empty couch. They were wrong, and this is the kind of thing that a manager can help sort out before someone with a very loud mouth pulls out a phone and makes a big huge loud trashy disruption that attracts the attention of the entire lounge.

That's not how you behave in an upscale lounge. After an initial disagreement, you quietly go and find the manager. I would have thrown the woman out myself who was yelling and filming, and attracting negative attention myself had I been the manager. Comp the food and drinks that were consumed, and please leave.

Last edited by ClaraC; 08-18-2018 at 06:26 PM..

Old 08-18-2018, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
They managed to get her fired. I missed the part where the lady with a glass of wine was loud.
She got fired over that? Why do companies cowtow to total strangers over their own employees? And what’s wrong with those people for wanting to get someone fired over nothing? Stupidity at its finest.

Old 08-18-2018, 06:26 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,602,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
It wasn’t racism, it was just rude drunk attitudeism. Jeez, not everything is about color. The writer acts like it was white supremacy here when we’ve all been subject to this type of behavior.
I agree with you - but it's from the Root, so don't expect anything but racism.

Old 08-18-2018, 06:27 PM

19,836 posts, read 12,094,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
This is what happens when people of different cultures bump up against each other.

If you have a place reserved at a restaurant, and someone comes and sits down, you say quietly, oh, sorry, we have this place reserved for the evening. There was clearly shared food on the table; this area was in use by this one group.

The Asian woman and the white guy didn't understand that, didn't know that somehow. It seems unbelievable to me that they're the kind who crash parties - they just didn't know the boundary thing, and saw an empty couch. They were wrong, and this is the kind of thing that a manager can help sort out before someone with a very loud mouth pulls out a phone and makes a big huge loud trashy disruption that attracts the attention of the entire lounge.

That's not how you behave in an upscale lounge. This is culture clash, and I would have thrown the woman out myself who was yelling and filming, and attracting negative attention myself had I been the manager. Comp the food and drinks that were consumed, and please leave.
She was looking for trouble as is obvious by her comment “I got what I need, we good”, referring to the video the lounge manager requested she stop recording. She wanted a pound of flesh for the lady with the glass of wine having the nerve to sit at “her (unoccupied) reserved” outdoor couch. Kodili Okechuwu even demanded security remove the woman from the couch/lounge.

She sounded like she was the drunk one, first claiming the other lady told them to **** four times, a few seconds later that became eighteen times and then, seconds later, fourteen times.

Old 08-18-2018, 09:18 PM

This was from the article. I thought it was an interesting little tidbit that further shows how this was not what these people thought. When she talked to the manager after the incident.

“He directed me to the Solis Hotel Facebook statement that insists no one was asked to leave. Okechuwu says some of her party were asked and some were not. Also, the manager of Overdrive Lounge met with and apologized to the birthday couple, but hasn’t spoken to other frustrated guests. [B There may even be some question about what table the party had reserved. Mind you, none of this changes the basic facts that a customer was vulgar and rude to a bunch of black patrons, and they, by force or frustration, ended up leaving while she stayed. Even though Pate lost her job, this situation is by no means over.”[/b]

So they may have had the wrong table, and they weren’t asked to leave (as I noticed on the video where they were saying let’s get out of here)? That kind of changes the whole narrative in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies