Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How many votes will Brett Kavanaugh get for confirmation in the Senate?
61 or more 63 13.55%
58-60 32 6.88%
55-57 61 13.12%
50-54 198 42.58%
49 or less 111 23.87%
Voters: 465. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2018, 04:06 AM

33,316 posts, read 12,534,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I got sick of watching it and got tired of her "valley girl" voice (if that's what it's called.) I got tired of him yelling and exaggerating like it's destroying his entire life. He was born with a silver spoon, did whatever he wanted, and I don't think he has much idea of how the rest of us live.

Mostly I believe her but I also wonder why she was at a drunken party when she was only 15 years old. Also, if he was drunk and obnoxious, many boys that age are drunk and obnoxious at times. It's almost normal for boys. And it was many years ago. He does sound like he was worse than most boys though.

It's a shame she never reported it. But that's normal. I was contacted by a MAN who was sexually abused by a distant relative of mine! He found me on the internet. Abused at boarding school and afraid to report it and now it's been 30 or more years. So this is not that unusual. It must be terrifying to come forward and tell what happened, especially knowing that no one is going to believe you and you will be said to blame.

I spent quite a bit of time in that valley (the San Fernando Valley) in the 80's...It's not a 'valley girl voice', but I did tire of her voice as well.

Old 09-30-2018, 04:15 AM

6,790 posts, read 8,199,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
Sorry to happened to you. However, you can't toss away Kav. reputation without supporting evidence.

If the FBI followup investigation provides nothing then Kav. will be on his way to the USSC.
I've always made a real effort to be aware of my own bias and not let it have undue infuence on my decisions. I was very careful to not allow myself to make any judgement of him before the hearing. I hadn't seen his interview or anything prior. I found the disdain many showed Dr. ford and women in general appaling. I've also been very frustrated with the endless posts on false accusations as though they were commonplace but I never made any assumption of his guilt. I still haven't, but after his testimony I do not support him for the seat. I watched most of her testimony. I found it credible but I realize that after this long, proving it is nearly impossible. I was very interested to hear his side.

I assumed I would be closer to acceptance of his appointment and be really struggling with my feelings. I genuinely believed I would have to set aside my personal bias and tendency to believe credible accusers and accept him as a justice. Even if I believed her, without proof and indication that he has a history of issues I would accept it. Obviously, this is all theoretical since I don't get a vote but I still took it seriously. Most of this is copied from another post I did but it fits here.

I fully expected him to come out and be rightfully upset and defend himself but also be dignified and convincing. Instead it was everything I hate about DC today. The partisan rant, spouting every typical right wing talking point used to rile up far right anger. Going off about a huge conspriracy, revenge for Hillary, Trump, millions from the left wing. It seemed like an attempt to motivate the super partisan, right wing supporters. I assume because they would push for confirmation and threaten anyone who didn't. He told them exactly what they love to hear.

Then he went on to act like a petulant child when questioned instead of simply answering the questions. He refusal to reply to the question of if he would support an investigation and trying to divert when asked about drinking was an appaling, childish display. The crying rang false to me but by that point all I saw was an entitled man child so I'll accept my bias on that. He was clearly lying on the yearbook terms. A judge who lies in a hearing, even "small" lies is unacceptable for the Supreme Court, or any court for that matter. Telling the truth about things he did in high school and then talking about learning from mistakes and becoming a better man would have garnered respect from those not caught up in the partisan politics. Instead he chose to lie, the politcian's favorite way of behaving.

The last thing we need is another branch of government that is nothing but a partisan machine. He clearly could never be trusted to rule on a case involving his "enemies" on the left and I wouldn't trust him to not behave vengefully on any case involving sexual assault. The Supreme Court used to be respected to a much greater degree than politicians. They have already lost a good deal of support and trust due to recent unpopular decisions and politicans using them in a partisan manner to attract votes. He would be the end of any trust in our government.

People know that the Ds played dirty in timing this but unfortunately, it doesn't have the impact it should because the Rs have been playing dirty in politics for a long time. Ds do too but the Rs are more obvious about it, the Ds hide behind "helping people". From voter supression to denying the former president his pick, people who aren't caught up in partisan viewpoints realize the truth behind the spin. I've heard people compliment the Ds for finally getting in the game but that's just horrifying. Both parties go into full denial and always have a plausable justification but no one actually believes them, it just can't be proven otherwise. I'm left on most (not all) social issues and definitely opposed to prohibition laws like those against abortion but I would support a more conservative judge who can express themselves in a non partisan manner and state with conviction that they would abide by the rule of law even if it went against personal beliefs.

Last edited by detshen; 09-30-2018 at 04:34 AM..

Old 09-30-2018, 04:25 AM

33,316 posts, read 12,534,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrganicSmallHome View Post
1) No Democratic Congress has ever done this. Neither has any other Republican Congress. It's beyond the pale even of political gamesmanship, and the Republicans didn't have to "outmaneuver" anybody: they just refused.

2) I watched the hearing. Disagree.

3) Aside from the main point I was making.

4) No, that is not "the way it works." At least, not among civilized people. Obama never, ever conducted himself publicly as Trump has done. Are you kidding me?

5) A total misreading of the situation, in my opinion.

6) Weak, because you're simply projecting your own emotional/political bias onto him (even if we all were). For all you know, Kavanaugh is lying. Nobody knows the truth.

The rest of your post: See #6.
"Elections have consequences, and at the end of the day, I won"

^^^^^ President Obama to House Republican Whip Eric Cantor on January 23rd, 2009

Old 09-30-2018, 04:35 AM

6,611 posts, read 3,675,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berdee View Post
As far as location goes I'm figuring that one of the kids must have lived in the house. Why would the kids be in that house if none of them lived there. Obviously there were no adults were around, what kind of adults would let a bunch of teens in their home when they aren't around. Nah, one of the kids lived there. (if there was actually a 'party')

As for month and day, to be fair I can see that it could be difficult. It was summer, no school and no structured activities, so it seems. She stated that she spent most of her days swimming. Every day would have pretty much been the same as the last. Because of that it would be very easy to lose track of days, and even the month. If she'd had structured activities at least once or twice a week she'd probably would have kept closer track of the days.

The one that really makes me wonder is the year. ...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/inves...=.19c98aafb313

That would put the alleged attack in the late 1980's and not in '82.
One of the major reasons why she claimed it happened when it did, in 82, is because of her driving at that later age. That if it had happened then, she would have drove herself to the party. Well yeah that could be, but, it also could be that it did happen in the late 80's and the only reason she doesn't remember having the car/driving herself is that there may have been a reason why she couldn't drive it .. no gas, someone else was using it, it wasn't running that day, etc.

The other reason why she probably thinks it was '82 was the Safeway incident. Which is an extremely odd incident...it just doesn't set well.
She claimed that when she and her mom went to Safeway, her mom walked in through one door and she walked in through another. When she walked in through that door she came across Judge. Did she run back out of the door and in through the other door? No. Did she quickly walk past him to go into the main part of the store, to get away from him? No. According to her she said hello to him (she said it first), then she walked over to him and tried to open a dialog with him .. wtf. Here is this girl that allegedly is scarred for life just standing there chatting with one of her attackers like it's no big deal?? Yeaaaahh, right. No. If she's as scarred as she claims she would have rushed out of there the second she saw him. No way, nope, not buying it.

It probably happened in the late '80's like she'd told that therapist.

Hopefully the FBI will get all of her therapy notes. We won't know what is in those notes but they will.
It appears you are making some assumptions based upon your own reasoning. If she were 15 during the incident, which has been stated, she would not have been driving or had her own car. (Even if one is older, that does not guarantee that one has their own car). When she ran into Judge, I know she said she said "Hi", but I didn't hear her say she tried to converse with him at length, describing that the appeared to turn white at having seen her. Also, he was not an attacker, but had been present in the room, having been a witness to.

Old 09-30-2018, 04:43 AM

13,749 posts, read 8,004,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
I've always made a real effort to be aware of my own bias and not let it have undue infuence on my decisions. I was very careful to not allow myself to make any judgement of him before the hearing. I hadn't seen his interview or anything prior. I found the disdain many showed Dr. ford and women in general appaling. I've also been very frustrated with the endless posts on false accusations as though they were commonplace but I never made any assumption of his guilt. I still haven't, but after his testimony I do not support him for the seat. I watched most of her testimony. I found it credible but I realize that after this long, proving it is nearly impossible. I was very interested to hear his side.

I assumed I would be closer to acceptance of his appointment and be really struggling with my feelings. I genuinely believed I would have to set aside my personal bias and tendency to believe credible accusers and accept him as a justice. Even if I believed her, without proof and indication that he has a history of issues I would accept it. Obviously, this is all theoretical since I don't get a vote but I still took it seriously.

I fully expected him to come out and be rightfully upset and defend himself but also be dignified and convincing. Instead it was everything I hate about DC today. The partisan rant, spouting every typical right wing talking point used to rile up the Trump base. Going off about a huge conspriracy, revenge for Hillary, Trump, millions from the left wing. It seemed like an attempt to motivate the super partisan, right wing supporters.

Then he went on to act like a petulant child when questioned instead of simply answering the questions. He refusal to reply to the question of if he would support an investigation and trying to divert when asked about drinking was an appaling, childish display. The crying rang false to me but by that point all I saw was an entitled man child so I'll accept my bias on that. He was clearly lying on the yearbook terms. A judge who lies in a hearing, even "small" lies is unacceptable for the Supreme Court, or any court for that matter. Telling the truth about things he did in high school and then talking about learning from mistakes and becoming a better man would have garnered respect from those not caught up in the partisan politics. Instead he chose to lie, the politcian's way of behaving.

The last thing we need is another branch of government that is nothing but a partisan machine. He clearly could never be trusted to rule on a case involving his "enemies" on the left and I wouldn't trust him to not behave vengefully on any case involving sexual assault. The Supreme Court used to be respected to a much greater degree than politicians. They have already lost a good deal of support and trust due to recent unpopular decisions and politicans using them in a partisan manner to attract votes. He would be the end of any trust in our government.

People know that the Ds played dirty in timing this but unfortunately, it doesn't have the impact it should because the Rs have been playing dirty in politics for a long time. Ds do too but the Rs are more obvious about it, the Ds hide behind "helping people". From voter supression to denying the former president his pick, people who aren't caught up in partisan viewpoints realize the truth behind the spin. I've heard people compliment the Ds for finally getting in the game but that's just horrifying. Both parties go into full denial and always have a plausable justification but no one actually believes them, it just can't be proven otherwise. I'm left on most (not all) social issues and definitely opposed to prohibition laws like those against abortion but I would support a more conservative judge who can express themselves in a non partisan manner and state with conviction that they would abide by the rule of law even if it went against personal beliefs.

If the FBI doesn't come with anything new I doubt claiming Kav. is unfit for the USSC because of how he behaved at the hearing will work. The man was very angry and feels the accusation was politically motivated. The Dems want to stall the nomination until after the Nov. election. I get that.

But you can bet the FBI has already been trying to reach all the alleged witnesses.

Dr. Ford? Yes, I found her believable but... .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGxr1VQ2dPI

Old 09-30-2018, 04:49 AM

2,102 posts, read 1,004,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrganicSmallHome View Post
Democrats are "evil"? We should all be "frightened of and opposed to" them? So half the country are evil. Okay, gotcha'.
And the other half are not evil, just 'Deplorable'.

Old 09-30-2018, 04:52 AM

11,046 posts, read 5,273,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
If the FBI doesn't come with anything new I doubt claiming Kav. is unfit for the USSC because of how he behaved at the hearing will work. The man was very angry and feels the accusation was politically motivated. The Dems want to stall the nomination until after the Nov. election. I get that.

But you can bet the FBI has already been trying to reach all the alleged witnesses.

Dr. Ford? Yes, I found her believable but... .

I found OJ Simpson believable if you take out all the DNA evidence..I found Bill Clinton believable when he waived his finger at the cameras until the blue dress with his DNA showed up....what's your point? she has no evidence only her testimony.

the woman in the Duke lacrosse case was believable also....the media and many believed her.....guess how that turned out?

Old 09-30-2018, 05:07 AM

5,051 posts, read 3,581,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
Actually, the almost unspeakably vile Democrat left has put a target on their backs, with the virulently despicable Democrat Senators on the Senate Juciary Committee establishing themselves as worthy of as much contempt, disrespect and scorn as can possibly be heaped on a single living human being.

What comes around, goes around, and whatever ill fate now befalls these 10 Democrat Senators, they will have brought it on themselves.

Huh? There was nothing that happened that would warrant that type of response.

Some people really need to lay off the right-wing News and Radio media.

Old 09-30-2018, 05:11 AM

11,046 posts, read 5,273,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
Huh? There was nothing that happened that would warrant that type of response.

Some people really need to lay off the right-wing News and Radio media.

and your suggestion....listen to left-wing news and radio media? is that any better?

Old 09-30-2018, 05:13 AM

13,749 posts, read 8,004,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
I found OJ Simpson believable if you take out all the DNA evidence..I found Bill Clinton believable when he waived his finger at the cameras until the blue dress with his DNA showed up....what's your point? she has no evidence only her testimony.

the woman in the Duke lacrosse case was believable also....the media and many believed her.....guess how that turned out?

My point is while she came across as sympathetic her body language gave her away. This was a scripted act and the powers that be in both parties likely know that.

But that's irrelevant. It is what the public thinks.

By the end of next Friday my guess is the FBI will have all the necessary statements and nothing new will come of this. At which point the Dems will have painted themselves in a corner. They wanted an additional FBI investigation and got one.

In the end Kav. will be seated on the USSC. The Reps. should be grateful Flake insisted on a one week delay.

This way the Reps can say Ford was was heard and the the FBI spoke with the alleged witnesses. Yet, nothing new was found.

Nothing which collaborates Dr. Fords accusation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies