Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How many votes will Brett Kavanaugh get for confirmation in the Senate?
61 or more 63 13.55%
58-60 32 6.88%
55-57 61 13.12%
50-54 198 42.58%
49 or less 111 23.87%
Voters: 465. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2018, 04:54 PM

17,154 posts, read 13,017,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
If this was a criminal trial yeah--
But this is a job interview--
Really--a job interview for the Supreme Court--but just a job interview right now
No due process is part of a job interview...that's the law...

Susan Collins said that she thought the 2nd accuser--the one at Yale who says Kavanaugh exposed himself at a dorm party--should be heard under oath...
But w/o the FBI doing an investigation the GOP renders this all moot
The GOP has NO desire to have this investigated--
And they knew about the 2nd woman last week--
It was no surprise when the story in The Atlantic broke
The GOP wants to sweep it all under the rug. Even if Kavanaugh did nothing wrong with these women, what is hidden in those hundreds of thousands of pages of documents? What are Republicans so afraid of exactly? They did not behave like this when Neill Gorsuch was being confirmed. Methinks Kavanaugh might have a few relevant skeletons in his closet.

Old 09-24-2018, 04:54 PM

9,617 posts, read 6,085,531 times
You have become emotionally overwrought. Look back at what you responded to in post #7016. Your response is so off the mark, relative to what I said. Just rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat - same talking point. That is hardly dialog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
How people treat people who have been assaulted has a lot to do with how this is being handled. You have no idea whether or not this woman is telling the truth unless you were there.

Old 09-24-2018, 04:57 PM

5,277 posts, read 2,813,045 times
I finally read the article in the strange finances of Kavanaugh.

https://www.motherjones.com/politics...ughs-finances/

As a former mortgage loan officer I see some interesting questions.

Why doesn't anyone seem concerned about his unexplained sudden cash?

Old 09-24-2018, 04:58 PM

30,402 posts, read 23,870,295 times
Quote:
Why'd Al Franken's accuser wait so long after he'd spent so much time in the Senate? I'm JUST SAYING.
I'm so glad you brought that up. Here is what I said when he resigned:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/50347903-post271.html

Quote:
Did Al Franken get a day in court against these allegations? Was his guilt proven in a court of law? Photos? That photo in the helicopter, he wasn't even actually touching her. Regardless, every person still gets their day, and I don't think he's had his against all allegations.

I don't give a cow's udder about Al Franken, but I DO care that people are being tossed left and right over ACCUSATIONS without any proof whatsoever that they are actually guilty. I do not stand up for pedos, assaulters, etc, but I do stand up for justice for all, even if they are on the left.

Here's the problem I see with this: Right now it's a LOT of Dems, lefties, liberals who are being taken down, left and right, with no day in court to prove their innocence or to find their guilt. They haven't had their day. They just get fired, told to resign, trashed in media, etc.

If you all take a step back and THINK for just a minute or 2...put your bias aside, just THINK. Really think.

There's definitely an agenda here, I guarantee it. Don't be so quick to judge people based on an accusation...that goes for both left and right. That isn't what this country is about, and it's going to backfire, big, if you all continue to let the media frenzy guide you around like cattle.
Emphasis added just now.

And this in response to someone responding to the above by saying it was the Republicans with the agenda:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/50352791-post312.html

Quote:
It's not the Republicans that have the agenda. Watch what happens with all of this. Lefties lying on social media does not dissuade those from seeing what is going on. Al Franken is part of it, this "resigning" is BS.

Pay attention after December 12. You can already see the beginnings of it right here on this forum. Keep pretending it's not happening, more on the right are aware of it than you know.
What happened? Trump accused. Roy Moore accused. Kavanaugh accused. Who else will they accuse?

Old 09-24-2018, 04:59 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,339,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
Is there not a sexual abuse forum or something on this board where you all can take this kind of discussion? This thread is supposed to be about Brett Kavanaugh's confirmation process. Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"Choosing to tear down women who accuse people of sexual assault is a big part of the story around this confirmation."

How about tearing down MEN who are FALSELY accued by woman of sexual assault"

Or do you believe it doesn't happen?

A better comparison would be tearing down men who are coming forward to accuse priests of sexual abuse. Funny, but you never hear about anyone jumping on a band wagon not to believe them or to claim it's been too long and they should just shut up and forget about that happened decades ago. "Oh my, if it was such a big deal why didn't you report it at that time?" I can't get over how quickly people are willing to tear down a woman's credibility just because she kept an assault to herself for many decades. It's what women did before the Me Too Movment and I don't me Ms. Ford. I'm taking about those of you who are belittling fellow posters, women in this threat who wrote about their own well kept secrets of abuse. If is makes you uncomfortable to hear first hand reports that's too damn bad...

Old 09-24-2018, 05:00 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,557,529 times
Quote:
An enormous amount of this confirmation discussion hinges on whether or not it molested someone.

Or more than one person.

And a lot of people are just ignoring this woman without any sort of hearing. I'm sorry if you have a reality problem, but I would like this to be fair.

I am okay with them confirming someone whose stances I dislike. I'm not okay with them confirming a man who molested people.

Why's that so hard to understand?

I'm not part of either of these stupid political parties.

I'm a concerned citizen.

Period.

What about this do you want to discuss, how fast it can be pushed through and how quickly any allegations can be ignored?
Now you are being obtuse. As you know very well, I am talking about you working through your long-past, unresolved personal sexual traumas here in this thread. Don't pretend like you do not know that when you very certainly do.

And you wonder why some people around here do not believe what you post here.

Old 09-24-2018, 05:01 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,474,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmaise View Post

His parents are multi millionaires and he is an only child.

Seems likely he's getting his inheritance early.

Old 09-24-2018, 05:01 PM

Let’s see...first sentence is about another poster being rude, excuse me; incredibly rude.

The rest is about your hate for President Trump.

This thread is about Judge Kavanaugh’s confirmation, now the very late, very suspicious too many, last minute assertions. Me thinks when someone goes off track about their hate of the person who nominated the Judge, that is the real tell.

Quote:
You don't know a damned thing about me and that's incredibly rude.

I think Trump is a piece of crap, and his choices are stupid and dedicated to his "ratings" as if this country is reality TV, but at the end of the day, if this guy didn't have a woman accusing him of sexual assault, I'd just roll my eyes and let this slide by, because there's not much that can be done about it if Congress confirms him.

I can rejoinder all I please. You can always not respond.

Old 09-24-2018, 05:02 PM

34,289 posts, read 19,440,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmaise View Post

Lots of folks are, but I think that got sort of missed during the initial rush of his hearings. Thats part of why people are complaining about how the GOP has rushed this. Important things get missed. And the massive debt that disappeared is a small example.

Kavanaugh isn't a good judge as much as he was a good political operator. There is a huge difference. Scalia was a Republican AND a judge who could understand the law for example, and I'd say Gorsuch is middlin.

Old 09-24-2018, 05:03 PM

You are very rude. And, very much on target. I call this digression for what it was, a distraction and manipulation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
Now you are being obtuse. As you know very well, I am talking about you working through your personal unresolved sexual traumas here in this thread. Don't pretend like you do not know that when you very certainly do.

And you wonder why some people around here do not believe what you post here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies