Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2018, 11:12 AM

39,124 posts, read 51,371,476 times

Advertisements

Typical Trump hyperbole. Very little has been changed - just auto sector. What it means for the average American? Higher auto prices. Of course, it depends on Congress to approve any changes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2018, 11:14 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,709,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
I recommend we reconvene when we know what the deal is.

The honorable lady from the collective is overruled !!! The thread must go on !!!

Old 08-27-2018, 11:15 AM

3,457 posts, read 1,461,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
None of us - including Trump- -- lol -- knows yet.

It's a preliminary deal? What does that even mean?

I will give kudos to this administration. This latest announcement of a 'deal' gives the apperance of some great accomplishment.

But as we are being leaked info, we see it is another one of those BIG victory laps for a very small accomplishment.

And we've been doing this dance for a week now.
Given America's appetite for a quick fix to everything, and wanting overnight results, I can see why they call NK, and now Mexico a lose. What we lack is patience, and that is no secret. A lot of Americans also can't see through the spite after the election, I will factor that in my opinion.

I'm in the wait and see group because these things take time. I'm encouraged that we are trending on needed change, even if it's not a "huge change fest" like people seem to want, it's much-needed change. We are on better terms with NK, and negotiations are certainly better than bombs but it's new territory for America and it will be a long and slow road to stabilizing our relationship. I think reaching out instead of ignoring them was the better road to travel. We no longer look like an infant country.

The New Deal with Mexico seems to be a nice give and take so far. Much better than before, and both America and Mexico seem to be less screwed in this deal than the prior. I know Mexican people suffered a lot from NAFTA, I hope this brings some relief. We will see what Canada brings to the table if they bring anything at all. Now that Mexico has worked with Trump on a seemingly peaceful, fair agreement Canada risks being seen as a pouty baby. I'm hoping they put their big britches on and get involved. Negotiations aren't always pretty, sweet and calm. They have never been, so blaming Trump only deflects from the job at hand.

I'm encouraged, and I am patient. I'll look forward to the outcome, and if it goes sour I'll deal with changing my opinion when I see it. I'm not going to speculate just to demonize America. This trend is only damaging to the country I live in, regardless of who I'd like to see in the White House, it doesn't serve me well to do it, so far so good.

Old 08-27-2018, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Typical Trump hyperbole. Very little has been changed - just auto sector. What it means for the average American? Higher auto prices. Of course, it depends on Congress to approve any changes.
If its a good deal, as decided by the people, and the Dems vote it down, they will pay a heavy price in 2020.

Old 08-27-2018, 11:23 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,326,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
I believe it is six months to remove and replace NAFTA. That would put it out to February. Until then, the current NAFTA deal is the law of the land. Knowing nothing about the internal workings of this new administrative deal, it may turn out that there is nothing in there except for a couple of items. The rest is part of the "we'll see' strategy of this current administration.

(Update: Congress is saying that anything which does not include Canada, who has been with us for six years as part of NAFTA, is a non starter.)
You do know that NAFTA will be 25 years old in December of this year? It's always, only been Canada, the US and Mexico.

Old 08-27-2018, 11:28 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,921,716 times
It won't be final until Canada signs off. MX thusfar has made it clear they do not want a bilateral deal as long as CDN wants NAFTA. Far way from done.

Little Donnie is oh so jealous of young, smart, good-looking, popular Trudeau that he shat himself after the G-7 meeting.

All too often nowadays our national agenda is dependent upon President Bonker's personal feelings.

Old 08-27-2018, 11:31 AM

16,375 posts, read 22,540,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Trump wants to change the name of NAFTA to something else. Smoke and Mirrors attempt to make the tiny tweak seem like it was a major redo. He must think people are real stupid.

Old 08-27-2018, 11:33 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,326,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Trump wants to change the name of NAFTA to something else. Smoke and Mirrors attempt to make the tiny tweak seem like it was a major redo. He must think people are real stupid.
North American Fantastic Trump Amazing

Old 08-27-2018, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
It won't be final until Canada signs off. MX thusfar has made it clear they do not want a bilateral deal as long as CDN wants NAFTA. Far way from done.

Little Donnie is oh so jealous of young, smart, good-looking, popular Trudeau that he shat himself after the G-7 meeting.

All too often nowadays our national agenda is dependent upon President Bonker's personal feelings.

If you want to see someone soil their pants wait until Canada rejects a settlement and gets hit with a 25% tariff on autos.

Old 08-27-2018, 11:41 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,921,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
If you want to see someone soil their pants wait until Canada rejects a settlement and gets hit with a 25% tariff on autos.
And you think this is good for the US economy? Wowser.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies